• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Needle prick

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

easley6

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

I visited my doctor's office this week to have my monthly coumadin check. The lady, who was a new emplyee, did not wear protective gloves during the needle stick. For whatever reason she could not get a reading from the machine so she changed the strips and pricked my finger 3 additional times. Finally got a reading so I went home. That afternoon my doctor phones and tells me the lady had prick her finger during the testing process and asked that I come in the next day so they could draw blood to check me for HIV, Hepatitis, etc...., which I did. My problem is that the lady's bloodwork results will not be available to me while mine will be to her. My question is do I have any legal recourse?

wyett717

OP already had the blood tests done. The nurse who pricked her finger will need a series of them, but OP should only have to submit once.

easley6

Concerns

My concerns are these. I have had this test many times and this new lady went about the procedure in an entirely ( and questionable) way. She wore no protective gloves and after pricking my finger she would squeeze the prick site with her hands which I felt was uncalled for as the blood was flowing but she held my finger over the strip and had the blood drop directly on it. The needle prick sites are still clearly visible (brown spots)and there is one that now has a white ring around it. My other concern is that I found out she works in the front office and not the lab. Also I have no knowledge of her lifestyle and don't know if she is healthy.

xylene

OP already had the blood tests done. The nurse who pricked her finger will need a series of them, but OP should only have to submit once.
I'm sorry, I suppose you have no idea how HIV infection works... It can take 6 months for a positive titer test to show. :rolleyes:

wyett717

I know exactly how they work, thank you. OP was not the one stuck with the needle - the nurse was - so she will be the one undergoing the repeated tests.

wyett717

My concerns are these. I have had this test many times and this new lady went about the procedure in an entirely ( and questionable) way. She wore no protective gloves and after pricking my finger she would squeeze the prick site with her hands which I felt was uncalled for as the blood was flowing but she held my finger over the strip and had the blood drop directly on it. The needle prick sites are still clearly visible (brown spots)and there is one that now has a white ring around it. My other concern is that I found out she works in the front office and not the lab. Also I have no knowledge of her lifestyle and don't know if she is healthy.
I think you have very valid concerns. However, since you don't have any permanent damages, it would be very unlikely that you would have any legal recourse. From your description, it doesn't sound like this person was properly trained for performing a blood test. I would highly advise contacting the supervisor of the lab and telling them of your experience.

ecmst12

OP's skin was broken so theoretically, some comingling is possible. But the real reason the nurse will be at a more-then-infinitessimal (but still very small) degree of risk is because (presumably) she stuck herself with a lancet which had previously stuck OP and had a tiny bit of his blood on it. And wearing gloves would not have prevented her from doing the very same thing. Which is why wearing gloves while performing blood draws is not required per the standard of care - if everything is done properly, there is no risk to either party because the nurse/tech will never directly contact the blood or the broken skin.

Now OP, was there ever a time when she touched your broken skin with her broken skin directly? I would believe the answer to that is No, so there would be no chance of any risk to him.

barry1817

blood work

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

I visited my doctor's office this week to have my monthly coumadin check. The lady, who was a new emplyee, did not wear protective gloves during the needle stick. For whatever reason she could not get a reading from the machine so she changed the strips and pricked my finger 3 additional times. Finally got a reading so I went home. That afternoon my doctor phones and tells me the lady had prick her finger during the testing process and asked that I come in the next day so they could draw blood to check me for HIV, Hepatitis, etc...., which I did. My problem is that the lady's bloodwork results will not be available to me while mine will be to her. My question is do I have any legal recourse?

If they are concerned you are probably going to need more than one test for any infection that might occur as it is doubtful that any problem will be immediately found.

But since they are calling you back for this, it seems that they might be admitting to a major problem, and most likely a huge negligence for failing to follow standard infection control procedures.

You would need an attorney to make sure that no costs occur to you and that all follow up is done for a proper period of time to ensure your safety.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">