• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

negligence and malpractice for my 5 year old daughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cardinre

isconsin,
on monday (xmas eve) i brought my daughter into the nearby clinic due to her having belly pain. they did a CT and it came back that she had appendicitis. I told the doctor that i felt more comfortable going to a larger clinic (childrens hospital) to have the surgery done. She assured me that they were more than capable of doing such a simple procedure and that it wasnt necessary to switch hospitals. i met with the surgeon and they started surgery at 515pm. they came out at 620pm and the surgeon said everything went good and i could see her shortly. immediately upon seeing her i asked why she was so pale and yellowish looking, they said that was normal. they kept her overnight to keep an eye on her and we were to go home in the morning. the nurse came in to check her vitals often and said that the surgeon kept calling to check on her, i thought that was so sweet. later she said he was going to stay the night so he could be close by if need be adn i thought it was a little weird considering it was just a routine surgery but accepted the extra attention he was paying to her. 6 hours after surgery the surgeon came into our room and checked on her and then told me he was just being cautious because seh lost a little blood during surgery (this wass the first i heard of it) he said he wasnt too concerned but wed keep a close eye on her. in the morning they did a hemoglobin out of her iv and it came back in the 7's which is extremely low so they rechecked thinking it was just diluted by the iv fluids. they checked again and it came back at a 12.9 which was in thse normal range and the surgeon said as long as we could get her pain under control we could go home. i requested to stay another night due to her being so weak and sore. this is when everythign started going downhill... 22hrs after surgery 340 xmas day she started to spike a temp slowly, first 99.6 then 100.3 then finally 101.6... the nurse called the on call dr who ordered a complete blood work. then my daughters oxygen started to drop, so they put her on oxygen. her labs came back and her hemoglobin was at a 7.1. the on call dr came in and said she thought my daughter was bleeding internally. she then called the surgeon who admitted he thought he nicked the epigastric artery but thought he repaired it (i was never made aware of this until the helicopters to transfer her were on their way) i told the dr to start a blood transfusion and seh told me she couldnt because she didnt know my daughters blood type... so they took my daughter into surgery originally without knowing her blood type?! i asked a nurse to please tell me my daughter was going to live and she said we are going to be hopeful but im not giong to make any promises. she made it to childrens where they immediately did an ultrasound, blood transfusion and got her stable. they ran a bunch of test and determined the bleeding had stopped and that she just needed the transfusion to boost her hemoglobin and we stayed in the hospital until last night. sorry this is so long but im wondering what type (if any) case i have? i also have a cousin who is a dr at the hospital who preformed the surgery who said that all the "big wigs" came in today to review my daughters case so clearly they know they screwed up.

cardinre

the fact that they did not tell me she lost 300 cc of blood, the fact that he didnt tell even the other doctor of her care that he thought he nicked an artery and the fact that they didnt know her blood type before bringing her into the OR and it delayed her blood transfusion by over a half hour isnt negligent?

cardinre

had i known these things right away, i would of asked to have her transferred to a better hospital before she went downhill.... he said we could go home but I requested to stay, who knows what would of happened had we left when he said we could?!

LdiJ

had i known these things right away, i would of asked to have her transferred to a better hospital before she went downhill.... he said we could go home but I requested to stay, who knows what would of happened had we left when he said we could?!
I don't blame you for being upset and angry. The doctor was clearly negligent. However, as others have said its quite uncertain whether the doctor was negligent enough that you have an actual cause of action against the doctor. You can certainly talk to a medical malpractise attorney if you feel strongly enough about it.

cardinre

I did call a lawyer today, he will call me again tomorrow.things happen nobody is perfect but for him to not even mention one word of blood loss until SIX hours after surgery and then to not mention nicking the artery until they couldnt find out why she was going downhill? that has to be some sort of negligence doesnt it? bad things happen, im aware... but it seems to me a few of these bad things could have been prevented. hearing from a medical professional that they arent going to promise that your child is going to survive 4 hours after being told you could go home is traumatic without adding in the fact that she had to ride a helicopter without her mommy... she had every nurse in tears because of how scared she wass and they were for her. hearing my daughter say, you dont love me because you are letting them take me on away without you and thinking it could possibly be the last memory she has of you and you have of her is the worst feeling any mother could have.saying they couldnt give her a blood transfusion because they didnt know her blood type when its protocol to know a patients blood type before any surgery... i had to go get a xanax from the ER because how freaked out i was. so much could of been different had he told me because i would without a doubt moved her to a better facility and if i hadnt thought of that on my own my mom would of made me

mmmagique

I'm sorry you and your daughter went through that. Especially on Christmas. I bet you had an extra special Christmas for her when she got home! (sorry, no advice, just good wishes)

LOVESUN

Disrespectful

To say people are here and law suits are just about money is so disrespectful, and untrue. The insurance doesn't , nor should they have to pay for a third parties injuries. In my case I was given a medication I was known anaphylactic to (note first error), then within minutes given the wrong dose of epinephrine, I was given a big dose through the IV, instant heart attack! I could go on and on with the things they did not do to me on time, or right. I should not have to pay ANYTHING related to this, they did it! I have an array of permanent medical conditions now, can't work, can't drive, can't go to the store and lift heavy items for myself. Why should I have to pay for this? How could I even afford to, with my medical bills and needs for life seeing I have brain damage it's going to cost millions! I was happy with the life I had! No amount of money is going to make it right. They were negligent in my case over and over again, so yes they should pay. This is why they buy insurance and have it. So NOT everyone cares about money! I bet you would not trade money for my permanent heart and brain damage, or the list of my long things I can no longer do!!!! Or just the fact alone being given a permanent heart condition that could put me back into heart failure, all at age 38! No I don't think you would trade hearts with me!

Proserpina

To say people are here and law suits are just about money is so disrespectful, and untrue. The insurance doesn't , nor should they have to pay for a third parties injuries. In my case I was given a medication I was known anaphylactic to (note first error), then within minutes given the wrong dose of epinephrine, I was given a big dose through the IV, instant heart attack! I could go on and on with the things they did not do to me on time, or right. I should not have to pay ANYTHING related to this, they did it! I have an array of permanent medical conditions now, can't work, can't drive, can't go to the store and lift heavy items for myself. Why should I have to pay for this? How could I even afford to, with my medical bills and needs for life seeing I have brain damage it's going to cost millions! I was happy with the life I had! No amount of money is going to make it right. They were negligent in my case over and over again, so yes they should pay. This is why they buy insurance and have it. So NOT everyone cares about money! I bet you would not trade money for my permanent heart and brain damage, or the list of my long things I can no longer do!!!! Or just the fact alone being given a permanent heart condition that could put me back into heart failure, all at age 38! No I don't think you would trade hearts with me!

So tell me.

What ARE lawsuits about?

LOVESUN

Compensation

Lawsuits are compensation, you don't get "rich" off from them, you get the money you lost, money that the damages are going to cost you, FOR LIFE! Google it, there are caps to what you get. Maybe you should have compassion for the real people injured,there lives are forever changed. So I'm suppose to pay my medical bills, my cost to get help when someone was negligent and did this to me? Maybe some do care about the money, but there are many people like me who do not! I would trade all of it, every cent for the life I had prior to being a victim. In my case it was negligence over and over, I'm lucky and grateful to be alive! It's compensation for what was done to you, no one chooses to be a victim.

As for the little girl here, yes I think they should of kept you informed. You may have a case, you need a GOOD attorney to at least look at the records.

Gail in Georgia

"Lawsuits are compensation, you don't get "rich" off from them, you get the money you lost, money that the damages are going to cost you"

So....in other words, lawsuits are about money.

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">