• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not Allowed to Leave Country for Chronic Medical Condition Assistance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amp2000

Recently I was diagnosed with a chronic medical condition that will require expensive and constant medical attention immediately or will result in potential permanent disability/death if not treated.

I am a citizen of the USA, where I cannot afford medical care and/or insurance to have this chronic and constant condition treated. I 'also' have dual full citizenship of a country in Europe, as to where I am entitled to free medical care to cover my medical condition; as there is no cost for medical treatment in this country in Europe where I am a citizen.

I have family in this European country, as well as a place to stay and a family member has referred me to a job that will pay my living expenses.

The problem is, I had a federal criminal case several years ago and am currently on federal supervised-release/probation for 2 1/2 more years. Of course the stipulations indicate, I must remain in the United States for the remainder of my entire probationary period.

So in summary, I need chronic medical care or will end up with a permanent disability and/or death if not taken care of over the next couple of years. I have family, employment opportunity and full paid medical coverage from the government in this European country (due to my citizenship) to ensure my chronic medical condition is taken care of at no expense. The country does not charge citizens (such as myself) for medical coverage, which will help treat my condition to avoid additional potential pain/disability/death. The problem comes in.. that I am not allowed to leave the country for at least 2 1/2 more years due to being on federal probation in a federal criminal case.

If my disability worsens and/or causes death, because I am not allowed to have constant free medical coverage that is available to me in this European country that I am a full citizen in.. would the US government be responsible for not allowing me to relocate there as so I can be treated for my chronic medical condition? I have no money to even begin to be treated for what is needed in the USA.

Should I approach a lawyer with this situation and have them petition the judge on a reason to potentially relocate temporarily to this country for as long as needed, as so I can cover my medical needs?

I know it is a unique situation and am curious as to what my rights are, in that I obviously must do something for my condition and cannot cover any of the medical expenses that are required (have only a few hundred dollars to my name), nor have any medical insurance of any kind. Yet, by my citizenship of this country in Europe, I am entitled to unlimited free and constant medical coverage for my chronic condition there to potentially save my life; that I cannot utilize (due to my federal probationary status not allowing me to leave this country). All thoughts are welcome. Thank you!

NOTE: Due to the extremely high-profile nature of my federal case, I would rather not list further specific details. The media will pick up on anything/everything I say. The above should provide the needed information to assist. Thanks.

Last edited:

swalsh411

I don't understand. You agreed to these conditions of your probation in exchange for staying out of jail, knowing you had this condition. You would receive free medical care if incarcerated.

Proserpina

I don't understand. You agreed to these conditions of your probation in exchange for staying out of jail, knowing you had this condition. You would receive free medical care if incarcerated.

Apparently OP has deleted some of his/her own posts, as well as the response/s left.

(Which were basically, "you need to speak with an attorney")

I can post a PM from the OP if needed.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Recently I was diagnosed with a chronic medical condition that will require expensive and constant medical attention immediately or will result in potential permanent disability/death if not treated.

I am a citizen of the USA, where I cannot afford medical care and/or insurance to have this chronic and constant condition treated. I 'also' have dual full citizenship of a country in Europe, as to where I am entitled to free medical care to cover my medical condition; as there is no cost for medical treatment in this country in Europe where I am a citizen.

I have family in this European country, as well as a place to stay and a family member has referred me to a job that will pay my living expenses.

The problem is, I had a federal criminal case several years ago and am currently on federal supervised-release/probation for 2 1/2 more years. Of course the stipulations indicate, I must remain in the United States for the remainder of my entire probationary period.

So in summary, I need chronic medical care or will end up with a permanent disability and/or death if not taken care of over the next couple of years. I have family, employment opportunity and full paid medical coverage from the government in this European country (due to my citizenship) to ensure my chronic medical condition is taken care of at no expense. The country does not charge citizens (such as myself) for medical coverage, which will help treat my condition to avoid additional potential pain/disability/death. The problem comes in.. that I am not allowed to leave the country for at least 2 1/2 more years due to being on federal probation in a federal criminal case.

If my disability worsens and/or causes death, because I am not allowed to have constant free medical coverage that is available to me in this European country that I am a full citizen in.. would the US government be responsible for not allowing me to relocate there as so I can be treated for my chronic medical condition? I have no money to even begin to be treated for what is needed in the USA.

Should I approach a lawyer with this situation and have them petition the judge on a reason to potentially relocate temporarily to this country for as long as needed, as so I can cover my medical needs?

I know it is a unique situation and am curious as to what my rights are, in that I obviously must do something for my condition and cannot cover any of the medical expenses that are required (have only a few hundred dollars to my name), nor have any medical insurance of any kind. Yet, by my citizenship of this country in Europe, I am entitled to unlimited free and constant medical coverage for my chronic condition there to potentially save my life; that I cannot utilize (due to my federal probationary status not allowing me to leave this country). All thoughts are welcome. Thank you!

NOTE: Due to the extremely high-profile nature of my federal case, I would rather not list further specific details. The media will pick up on anything/everything I say. The above should provide the needed information to assist. Thanks.
What, the government doesn't charge taxes to make sure of this medical coverage? They've got a magic something that money just comes out of without anyone putting any in? Wow. I'm impressed. NOT. :cool:

antrc170

The short answer is: no. The US governemnt is not responsible for your health or chronic medical history. YOU are the one who violated the law, YOU are the one who agreed to the probation and the terms. The US has every reason to believe (as do I) that once abroad, you would never return (or you would wait ten years and then ask the board members how to come back, but avoid going to federal prison). Denying your ability to leave the country is part of the punishment. Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time.

OHRoadwarrior

Yes, the US Govt is 100% liable for you committing crimes and not wanting to go to jail bad enough to make more poor choices. Ooops, just kidding. Your choice was jail and medical or probation on your own dime. If you can afford a lawyer, you can afford insurance. Good Luck.

ecmst12

There are actually a lot of options for low income citizens who need medical care. Doesn't sound like OP has investigated any of them.

xylene

There are actually a lot of options for low income citizens who need medical care. Doesn't sound like OP has investigated any of them.
I have an excellent hunch the OP is not low income, but would just rather not spend his money.

LdiJ

There is a chance that you could be granted permission to leave the country if you are willing to relinquish your US citizenship. See both a criminal and an immigration attorney.

LillianX

I left a reasonably well thought out and presented response to the OP which included information about how certain chronic conditions can make a person medicaid/medicare eligible, and information on hospital free care for those who cannot afford treatment.

Because it is no longer on this thread, and I really doubt that Admin smote it, I must conclude that the OP is deleting responses which don't tell him how to leave the US immediately (you may not be able to, depending on your condition, the country to which your other citizenship is held, and on whether or not they are willing to help you).

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
FYI Lillian, the poster double-posted his question. I think your response was on the other thread.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">