• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Patient cofidentiality

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aosit001

Patient confidentiality

I am 23 years old living in Florida. I currently go to a doctor who requires me to take a drug test every time I visit the office in order for them to prescribe me my medication. Instead of sending the payment and test results to me or my insurance, it was sent directly my father. I am still under my parents health care. I would like to know if that is legal or if I am able to sue this doctor because that was breaking patient confidentiality since I didn't allow them to send it to a third party (my parents).

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am 23 years old living in Florida. I currently go to a doctor who requires me to take a drug test every time I visit the office in order for them to prescribe me my medication. Instead of sending the payment and test results to me or my insurance, it was sent directly my father. I am still under my parents health care. I would like to know if that is legal or if I am able to sue this doctor because that was breaking patient confidentiality since I didn't allow them to send it to a third party (my parents).
Does your father not know that you take medication? Do your test results show the presence of some illegal drugs? I'm really trying to figure out why you are so concerned about this.

You can make a complaint regarding the perceived violation of HIPAA, but that doesn't mean you get to sue.

Silverplum

If your father is the primary on the insurance, why wouldn't the bill or statement be sent to him? I get statements from my insurer for every visit, showing what they paid and if I owe any uncovered amounts. It doesn't matter which family member used my insurance, I get the statement.

You want privacy? Grow up and take on your own bills.

ecmst12

An EOB is not the same as test results, and no those should not have been sent to your father. It was most likely a mistake, but you can complain to the office and you can also file HIPAA complaint if you'd like. Neither will get you any money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">