• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pharmacist changing doctors prescription without orders....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokermutt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pa.

I was hoping someone could possibly help me with an issue I've been having with my pharmacy for the last few months. Is it legal for the pharmacist or a pharmacy to change my doctors prescription without any consent from the doctor or without even informing anyone? I'm not talking about giving generics for name brand or something so minor. I am disabled and I suffer from severe arthritis, fibromyalgia, chronic pain, and a few other symptoms. Due to this I take more than one type of painkiller. Lately my pharmacy(Rite-Aid) has been lowering the amount of pain meds they give me, my doctor prescribes me up to 8 pills a day, yet Rite-Aid will only give me 4 pills a day. This has nothing to do with my insurance at all. Is this legal? Wouldn't my doctor be the one who knows what I need and how often? Due to this mysterious cut in my medication I have been having severe complications and fits of severe pain, which has caused me to be hospitalized twice already. Earlier in the year, there was an issue with a Rite-Aid employee stealing my pain meds and now this. I feel like this can't be right.:confused:...:mad:

ecmst12

If you have confirmed that your doctor has not reduced your prescription, then no it's not right. Have you spoken to the head pharmacist at that location? The next step would be to call the Rite Aid corporate office.

lealea1005

Is it legal for the pharmacist or a pharmacy to change my doctors prescription without any consent from the doctor or without even informing anyone?
No, it absolutely is not.

Due to this I take more than one type of painkiller. Lately my pharmacy(Rite-Aid) has been lowering the amount of pain meds they give me, my doctor prescribes me up to 8 pills a day, yet Rite-Aid will only give me 4 pills a day.
What are the exact directions written on your prescription bottle? How many times has this happened?

What were your Doctor's instructions once you told him/her about the situation?

xylene

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pa.

I was hoping someone could possibly help me with an issue I've been having with my pharmacy for the last few months. Is it legal for the pharmacist or a pharmacy to change my doctors prescription without any consent from the doctor or without even informing anyone? I'm not talking about giving generics for name brand or something so minor. I am disabled and I suffer from severe arthritis, fibromyalgia, chronic pain, and a few other symptoms. Due to this I take more than one type of painkiller. Lately my pharmacy(Rite-Aid) has been lowering the amount of pain meds they give me, my doctor prescribes me up to 8 pills a day, yet Rite-Aid will only give me 4 pills a day. This has nothing to do with my insurance at all. Is this legal? Wouldn't my doctor be the one who knows what I need and how often? Due to this mysterious cut in my medication I have been having severe complications and fits of severe pain, which has caused me to be hospitalized twice already. Earlier in the year, there was an issue with a Rite-Aid employee stealing my pain meds and now this. I feel like this can't be right.:confused:...:mad:
How many doctors are you seeing?

Is it possible the pharmacist is catching an error or over medication?

ALSO

The number of pill is irrelevant. The dosage schedule and milligrams of active ingredient is what matter. Are you actually getting less or having an altered dose schedule?

LASTLY

You say they refused to give more than 4 day. What do you mean?

When you say they refused, how did they explain the refusal?

If it isn't insurance, then what was the given reason? You ommitted that. Did they accuse you of anything (like abuse or doctor shopping)

Try another pharmacy no matter what.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">