• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pharmacist gave wrong medication.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

94za4

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hello,
My Pharmacist gave me the wrong medication. It was supposed to be an anti-inflamitory for a foot problem I have. The Pharmicist filled the prescription, and I have been taking it for 3-4 days. The pharmicisct then called and wants the original prescription back and give me the correct one. My wife stopped over and picke up the right one, but did not give ther other back. THey were apologetic, and gave her a $20 gift card for the store.

I have not noticed any ill effects, other than some side effects, nausia, loose bowels. The one they gave me was a muscle relaxant of some kind.

What should I do from here?

Thanks

ecmst12

Stop taking the medication which has done you no harm, and enjoy your $20 gift card. Inform your doctor about the mixup, and follow any instructions he gives you. And in the future, make sure you know the name of the medicine that is being prescribed, and CHECK THE LABEL before leaving the pharmacy to ensure it is correct.

Find a new pharmacy

Well, maybe that mistake didn't kill you, but......
Please contact the American Medical Association and let them know what happened. Something went wrong and an investigation may save someone in the future.
However if you want money then you will have to contact the stores insurance company and probably have to file a couple of reports...

Glad it wasn't life threatening.

Edit: I called the AMA and they pointed me to :
New York State Board of Pharmacy
89 Washington Ave Fl 2W
Albany, NY 12234-1000
Phone: (518) 474-3817 x130
Fax: (518) 473-6995
Lawrence H. Mokhiber, Executive Secretary

Last edited:

lealea1005

Well, maybe that mistake didn't kill you, but......
Please contact the American Medical Association and let them know what happened. Something went wrong and an investigation may save someone in the future.
However if you want money then you will have to contact the stores insurance company and probably have to file a couple of reports...

Glad it wasn't life threatening.
The AMA has no jurisdiction over Pharmacies or their employees.

There will be no money available because there was no damage. OP received a gift card and an apology. If OP wants to take it further, he/she can write a letter to the store's district manager or file a complaint with the state's Pharmacy board.

Just out of curiosity, what was the medication prescribed, and what did you receive?

94za4

Thank you for the info guys. I figured since there was no real harm done, there was not much I could do. I am not out after money or anything, but was told by a Lawyer friend I should get a lawyer on it and file a report in case something does happen down the line. Like the medication is pulled for causing problems or something.

I am at work, and don't have the medications with me, but I will check what they are and let you know. They both start with an R, and are a similar name. That much I do remember. That is probably where the mix up came in.

I am just glad it was just a muscle relaxant, and not something that would cause me a serious problem. I guess I should have paid more attention to the perscription, and what I got. I just took it for granted that I got the right stuff.

ecmst12

I honestly don't think switching pharmacies is the solution. Pharmacists are human, they all deal with hundreds of scripts every day, once in a while mistakes are going to happen. There are safeguards in place to minimize them, but they are not foolproof. That is why it is important to protect YOURSELF by double checking all your scripts before you leave the store, or at least before you actually take the medicine. I just don't see how pharmacists at Walgreens are any more or less likely to make the occasional mistake then pharmacists at Eckerd or CVS. The store handled the complaint appropriately, so they should get credit for that. Learning to take responsibility for your own care is the best lesson learned though.

lya

I honestly don't think switching pharmacies is the solution. Pharmacists are human, they all deal with hundreds of scripts every day, once in a while mistakes are going to happen. There are safeguards in place to minimize them, but they are not foolproof. That is why it is important to protect YOURSELF by double checking all your scripts before you leave the store, or at least before you actually take the medicine. I just don't see how pharmacists at Walgreens are any more or less likely to make the occasional mistake then pharmacists at Eckerd or CVS. The store handled the complaint appropriately, so they should get credit for that. Learning to take responsibility for your own care is the best lesson learned though.
Did I miss something about switching pharmacies?

Can you enlighten us as to why you would suggest this? This is completely incorrect information.
Every State polices pharmacies in their own way, and a good way to find out who to contact in your state is to simply call the AMA. They pointed me here: op.nysed.gov

Question: What was 'completely incorrect information' that I gave? Or did I just not make my post clear enough? Or do you just disagree with what I posted?
no flames please
Thank you.

lealea1005

Every State polices pharmacies in their own way, and a good way to find out who to contact in your state is to simply call the AMA. They pointed me here: op.nysed.gov

Question: What was 'completely incorrect information' that I gave? Or did I just not make my post clear enough? Or do you just disagree with what I posted?
no flames please
Thank you.

The AMA has nothing to do with regulating Pharmacies. If Op wants to file a complaint, he/she should just contact the state Pharmacy Board.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">