• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

plastic surgery gone wrong

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jv2007

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? florida

I am not sure I have a case so this is my story.

I got my breast aug. and lift done this past August of 2008. At the first consultation my doctor suggested that I would be a good candidate for a D cup. I was an A cup at the time but my breasts were very deflated and sagged. So I told the doctor to go as big as it needs to to get me full again. so I left that day thinking that I would go with a D cup.
I came back for the pre-op and she asked me again what size i wanted. Dr. then told me that she looked at my measurements again and said that she think a C cup would be fine, although i did mention that she had originally told me to go with a D cup. She said that with my diameter a D cup would look to wide. So I agreed with a C because she said it would do what it would take to make me full again.

For my follow-up, I told her that I wasn't happy with the result, that I felt they were to saggy still, even with a aerolar lift, but doctor says it looks fine to the doctor and it looks natural. but if i wanted to go bigger, the doctor make them bigger. so the doctor gave me a quote, which comes out to be $3000, after i already paid 5800, for the first surgery. This is the same doctor that told me D's would be too wide on me.

I decided not to go back to her for the bigger implants, but i started having complications.
About 2 months later, i was still have pain and irritation on one of my breasts which turned out to be an infection. She gave me some abx. Infection cleared up. A month later i came back again noticing more drainage which turns out i stil have an infection, The doctor then realizes it is from the stiching that she put on me. Removes the stich. and puts me on abx again.
I come back for another followup, she tells me i devoloped a capular contraction, and ask me whether i want to go do the capulotomy (surgery) or try the prescription for 3 months in order to fix the problem. I chose the second option.
After the 3 months prescription, tells me it didn't work. and that let her know when i am ready for surgery. i called a week later because my breast had more pain. and asked the front desk lady how much it would cost for the capulotomy. she said she would ask the doctor to see if she was going to charge me. i came in to have her check my breast again and she gave me a quote for 2000.

I am now trying to look for another surgeon,. My breasts are still saggy and with the capsular , I have pain in that one hard breast, and need surgery again. I would like to know do I have any kind of case.

Last edited:

ecmst12

I know infection is a known risk of any surgery, and capsular contraction is a known risk of breast implants in particular. Most of the time, experiencing a known risk of a procedure is NOT grounds for a malpractice suit, because those things can happen even in the presence of no negligence.

Unrealistic expectations about what your results would look like also do not indicate negligence. Have you gotten a second opinion from another surgeon?

jv2007

i have my appointment for another surgeon this monday.
I think what made me more upset is the fact that she told me that i should go to a D cup then changed her mind to a C cup. telling me that it would be too wide for me that it wouldnt look good.
then turn around and say that i can go bigger, but it would cost me. when she could have made me a D cup the first time.
because i am still deflated. But i guess all in all, it was my fault for listening to her, and she made the money off of me. and now wants to make more money off me.
thank you for your advice.

ecmst12

How old are you? You should not, for example, have expected to have the breasts of a 20 year old if you are in your 50's....that's what I meant by unrealistic expectations.

jv2007

i am 24 years old. I went to get my breast done because i had a child and it got extremely deflated. the doctor told me it would be full again with a C cup. but it isn't.

LAWMED

Wanting very large beasts (D-cup) and wanting to remedy sagging breasts are two different things. Placing d-cup implants in sagging breasts is not necessarily the remedy for sagging breasts (unless you WANT very large breasts). Deciding with the patient on the cup size FIRST and then tailoring the surgery to include a lift and mastopexy to fix the 'sagging' tissue is the right approach.

So, whether or not you have D cups is an issue of whether your breasts are large enough for you now. Whether they sag is another issue. If they are too small, a larger volume implant will make them bigger AND remove some sag. If they are the right size, a more extensive lift is appropriate. It is possible to add more saline to implants that are already in place (unless they are maxed out already), so ask your surgeon about this.

As for the capsular contracture, post-op infection has been linked to this problem. Neither infection or capsular contracture are necessarily the product of negligence or improper treatment. The only effective treatment is surgical removal of the capsule.

The end-result of any cosmetic breast surgery depends on many things including the breast tissue, chest wall shape, position of nipples, and the artistic abilities of the surgeon.

jv2007

is my responsiility or the doctors?

the doctor wants to charge me for the surgeon fees for the capsulotomy. i thought that i was just responsible for the hospital and anesthesolgist fee.

i asked to fill the implant with more saline but the doctor said it was maxed out.

LAWMED

Frankly I have never known a plastic surgeon who charged a fee for their services to fix a post-op complication such as this. Bad business, poor patient relations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">