• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible HIPA violation.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Macksu

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri. I hope this is correct forum if it isn't I am sorry. On Friday I was at a barbecue for the 4th of July, two prominent doctors from our community were there, they were discussing their patients by full name, talking about their medical issues/problems in great detail, labeling, insulting, complaining even laughing at them. I was floored, appalled and speechless to hear this in a social setting, several others heard their talking as well. I know 4 of the people they were talking about, other people at this barbecue knew some of the patients as well, it was so wrong to hear this information the insulting and laughing at patients was worse. Is this a violation of HIPA, if so what can be done?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri. I hope this is correct forum if it isn't I am sorry. On Friday I was at a barbecue for the 4th of July, two prominent doctors from our community were there, they were discussing their patients by full name, talking about their medical issues/problems in great detail, labeling, insulting, complaining even laughing at them. I was floored, appalled and speechless to hear this in a social setting, several others heard their talking as well. I know 4 of the people they were talking about, other people at this barbecue knew some of the patients as well, it was so wrong to hear this information the insulting and laughing at patients was worse. Is this a violation of HIPA, if so what can be done?

You can make a report here:

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/complaints/index.html

quincy

There is an interesting case out of Virginia where a man is suing Safe Sedation, LLC and Safe Sedation Management after his doctor and the operating room staff talked about him during surgery while he was unconscious.

The complaint filed is for disclosing his medical information, defamation, and intentional infliction of emotional distress. He is seeking over a million dollars in damages.

Courthouse News Service has provided information on the case which can be accessed through the following link, http://www.courthousenews.com/2014/04/22/67225.htm, and Jonathan Turley discusses the case on his website: http://jonathanturley.org/2014/04/25/virginia-doctors-sued-after-patients-cellphone-records-them-mocking-his-unconscious-body/

I think filing a complaint seems to be justified under the circumstances you describe, Macksu, and, if any of the patients are made aware of the discussions about them, they may wish to speak to a lawyer about filing their own complaints.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">