• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

possible used/dirty needle flu shot

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wyett717

Agreed, it would not be the ideal situation. But it's an option to further minimize the chances of infection, and possibly for peace of mind while waiting for further test results.

Gail in Georgia

Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) needs to be started within 72 hours following a SIGNICANT risk of exposure to HIV.

And again, screening tests now would be useless in terms of determining ones status for the reasons I described in the previous post.

Gail

wyett717

I understand the 72 hour exposure rule. I also understand that results may be more accurate after the times you stated. However, there is no reason to discourage OP from getting a test now, as it will not do any harm.

lealea1005

It is unlikely that the coqtail would be administered absent bona-fide evidence the poster was exposed to HIV.
Actually, the most current thinking is to have a bolus of the coc*tail administered when the dirty needlestick is reported, then wait for the results for further treatment. Wyatt is right.

ETA: just noticed I misspelled wyett717's name....sorry 'bout that.

Last edited:
For all the advice given there is one thing: You have to prove that you were stuck with a dirty needle. Going to court and stating that this nurse had a "scared look" on her face and that you think that this might have occurred is not going to be enough to get anyone to provide any kind of free testing or compensation for you. You need proof.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">