• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) resulting from HIV status disclosure.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Los5782

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Hello good evening,
I'm located in the state of Pennsylvania. I come today to seek information, & would be very grateful to anyone who can provide insight for me. I am a 23 year old Male, again from PA & I am HIV+, which is the centerpoint of my inquiry here today.
I was born HIV+ contracted from my mother, I was from birth, raised by my grandmother, never had either parent in my life. I was raised on a 13 pill daily regime up until about the age of 13, & even though I was taking medication, I was unaware of my condition, the medication wasn't an indicator of anything to me, because I perceived it all as normal seeing as I didn't know of life without them, far as I knew everyone took meds.

Apparently from my understanding doctors had spoken to my grandmother & told her, that they were going to make me aware of my condition at some point; a now or later deal, my grandmother wanted to prolong it as much as possible, she worried about how I would cope with the news. At 12 years of age, the doctors felt that it wouldn't be appropriate to wait any longer seeing as I was going to become a teenager soon. After school one day, I was told I had an appointment, I didn't think anything of it, because I was seeing my doctor frequently. I was taken to the doctors office, by my grandmother & social worker at the time, at which point the doctor sat me down, and broke the news to me. Immediately tears began to roll down my face, I didn't say anything, I was just impacted & shocked in the worst way, felt like my world had just been turned upside down. I was shocked & confused, what I knew about HIV at that point in time of my life was minimal, I knew it to be a death sentence, something very bad I heard about in awareness commercials, I was confused because I didn't know what I did wrong to have the condition.

I went home that evening, locked myself in my room & cried, this pretty much sums up the next 10 years of my life in a nutshell. I went from an honor roll student, who excelled in most academic aspects, to a kid who began to be in constant troubles, legally & otherwise, began not doing any school work, I made it to just 7th grade before I stuck repeating the grade several times, on the verge of doing another year of 7th grade my adviser from probation suggested I just discontinue the traditional route & go after my GED to avoid further troubles. Years & years I spent with extreme anxiety, depression, & suicidal thoughts & some attempts, I literally locked myself away in my room daily for the first several years, afterwards I managed to advance a bit by actually leaving my room; but that's when I started to get into serious troubles & demonstrating severe behavioral issues. Here I am about a decade later from receiving the news, & I currently still struggle managing my emotions & thoughts, struggle interacting and coping with society. I spend most of my days every day, in the basement on the computer. I am currently, & have been attending therapy/counseling for about 6-7 years. After the first several years, I even had to readjust mentally just to be able to speak/express myself more cognitively.

My complaint & reasoning for thinking I can seek legal action is due to how poorly my situation was handled, the way the news was disclosed to me, & how it was handled afterwards. At 12 years old I did not have the correct skills to cope & handle the situation. Only person I had was my elderly grandmother who didn't even understand English. My doctor, social worker, & hospital were all involved & knew of the situation obviously, yet I wasn't even offered counseling. After this news I was basically sent back out on my way, I spent years & years afterwards on my own, going through the psychological hell I was experiencing, eventually several years later I was to get professional help. Again as I said 10 years later, & I'm still trying to put my life together.

Can anyone in this case, be held responsible to some degree for the situation I've had to endure?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">