• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prescription drug results in stopping breastfeeding

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mzaslavsky

Massachusetts.

I had kind of flu and my PCP prescribed me prednisone. By that time I continued breastfeeding my 1 year old son. I asked my PCP if it is fine to take it while breastfeeding she said it is totally fine. When I start taking it, I noticed a significantly lowered breast milk supply. OK, I didn't relate that to prednisone and continued to take it. My son was trying to get at least some milk, but then he eventually just stopped trying it! As a result, after 10 days of taking prednisone I had to stop breastfeeding! Again, I didn't relate that to prednisone by that time, but later on I found the information online that prednisone may significantly reduce milk supply. I didn't know that but I think it is PCP who must inform me about that side effect. Ideally, I planned to continue breastfeeding at least one more year, but had to stop due to my PCP malpractice! That was a major disappointment for me! I'm wondering what can I legally do with that and what financial compensation I may get out of that.

ecmst12

Once you stopped the medicine your supply should rebound. If 10 days was enough that your son is no longer interested in breastfeeding, he was probably ready to wean himself anyway.

It is also possible - even likely - that the benefit to YOU in taking this medicine far outweighed the risk to your milk supply.

Just Blue

Massachusetts.

I had kind of flu and my PCP prescribed me prednisone. By that time I continued breastfeeding my 1 year old son. I asked my PCP if it is fine to take it while breastfeeding she said it is totally fine. When I start taking it, I noticed a significantly lowered breast milk supply. OK, I didn't relate that to prednisone and continued to take it. My son was trying to get at least some milk, but then he eventually just stopped trying it! As a result, after 10 days of taking prednisone I had to stop breastfeeding! Again, I didn't relate that to prednisone by that time, but later on I found the information online that prednisone may significantly reduce milk supply. I didn't know that but I think it is PCP who must inform me about that side effect. Ideally, I planned to continue breastfeeding at least one more year, but had to stop due to my PCP malpractice! That was a major disappointment for me! I'm wondering what can I legally do with that and what financial compensation I may get out of that.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

swalsh411

No that's not a :rolleyes:. Not even close. The OP may be unreasonable thinking she has won the lawsuit lottery but it's not at all unreasonable to be dissapointed because you can no longer breastfeed. It's very important to a lot of women for many reasons not the least of which is because it's the best for the baby.

ecmst12

Well, the child is a year, so the majority of the benefits have been gotten, and it's not certain that the child would have been interested in continuing to nurse for another year even without this. So a small amount of disappointment is understandable, but not a MAJOR disappointment and wanting to sue the doc (who had her health in mind when he prescribed the medicine) for as much as she can.

BizzieBee

Once you're off the meds your supply should come back. It is perfectly possible for your milk supply to come back full force even after MONTHS of not feeding or pumping. You shouldnt take your docs word on everything, being responsible means doing your own research, too. Thats why they put the prescription information in the bag when you pick up your meds. Good luck trying to prove you had no opportunity to learn the side effects yourself.

justalayman

. I asked my PCP if it is fine to take it while breastfeeding she said it is totally fine.
and apparently it is fine to continue to breastfeed while on the medication.

I have found nothing that suggest prednisone reduces breast milk production. I have found support to show that being dehydrated due to the flu does reduce breast milk production though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">