• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Primary Dental coverage fight

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Joe Worker

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Our Dental Insurance Companies are fighting over who is primary in relation to my step daughter, my wife's daughter (age 21), and neither wants to pay for her completed dental work. My insurance, Cigna, is demanding a divorce decree from my wife to "prove" that she is daughter's mom. My wife is very upset having to deal with a divorce decree all over again and feels not only violated but that the decree is unnecessary. We feel a marriage certificate for our marriage should be sufficient, or even our taxes from last year showing daughter's dependency. Are we legally required to supply the divorce decree or can we refuse that offering another alternative?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is quite legal, and quite common, for a dependent to have to "prove" relationship.

The law is not going to penalize you for not providing the divorce decree. You won't go to jail, or be fined. But the law is likewise not going to force the dental carrier to pay your stepdaughter's claims if you don't, either. And they won't be fined or sent to jail, either. If that's the requirement, then that's what you have to do.

Where I work, you wouldn't have gotten your stepdaughter covered to begin with without proof of her relationship to your wife.

Joe Worker

If I'm remembering right Cigna had already done that when we signed her up for the insurance. I'm a little foggy on those details. We're just perplexed that it has been two years that they have covered her and are just now asking for the decree. It's ridiculous. I see your point though and we certainly need them to pay so I suppose the decree will be sent. Thanks so much.

single317dad

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Our Dental Insurance Companies are fighting over who is primary in relation to my step daughter, my wife's daughter (age 21), and neither wants to pay for her completed dental work. My insurance, Cigna, is demanding a divorce decree from my wife to "prove" that she is daughter's mom. My wife is very upset having to deal with a divorce decree all over again and feels not only violated but that the decree is unnecessary. We feel a marriage certificate for our marriage should be sufficient, or even our taxes from last year showing daughter's dependency. Are we legally required to supply the divorce decree or can we refuse that offering another alternative?
This is a very simple thing to provide, and shouldn't be this big of a deal. If providing a copy of the divorce decree is such a hardship for your wife, she should seek counseling to address the underlying issues.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">