• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Primary Doctor sent me to emergency room due to improper EKG exam

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

haiyiliu

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? N.C.

Question: Do I have a case or am I out of luck? (Total expensive: $1.6k)

Story:
Last month, I went to visit a new primary doctor to get my physical done and have a chest pain checked out. We discussed about the chest pain and concluded its probably due to stress and/or lack of exercise. However, the doctor suggest an EKG exam just to be safe. I agreed. A nurse came in to perform the EKG exam (3 times consecutively) and left. The doctor rushed few minutes later telling me that my heart is working harder than it should according to the charts which could be caused by a blockage and could lead to a heart attack. She called the ambulance to have me sent to the ER. The ambulance came, and I was scared and shaking while paramedic loaded me up the truck. EKG test was performed again in the ambulance and the result was negative. When arrived at the ER, my heart activity was monitored by another EKG and the result was negative. After a long day at the ER, a chest ray was also taken (negative), and the doctor said that they do EKG exams everyday and he concluded I was perfectly fine.

Total expenses incurred: $3k
Total expenses (after insurance): $1.6K

I feel like going to the doctor to get a minor chest pain checked out was simply looking for trouble. Is there anyway I can avoid paying this cost? I appreciate everyone's opinion. Thanks!

Hank

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is nothing to suggest that the test was done improperly. You can get different readings ten minutes apart.

Proserpina

I'd just like to comment on the EKG.

What your EKG shows at 3 pm can differ greatly even 5 minutes later. Given that this was your PCP and not a cardiologist, the doctor erred on the side of caution and sent you for further evaluation.

In my opinion this is the correct course of action.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? N.C.

Question: Do I have a case or am I out of luck? (Total expensive: $1.6k)

Story:
Last month, I went to visit a new primary doctor to get my physical done and have a chest pain checked out. We discussed about the chest pain and concluded its probably due to stress and/or lack of exercise. However, the doctor suggest an EKG exam just to be safe. I agreed. A nurse came in to perform the EKG exam (3 times consecutively) and left. The doctor rushed few minutes later telling me that my heart is working harder than it should according to the charts which could be caused by a blockage and could lead to a heart attack. She called the ambulance to have me sent to the ER. The ambulance came, and I was scared and shaking while paramedic loaded me up the truck. EKG test was performed again in the ambulance and the result was negative. When arrived at the ER, my heart activity was monitored by another EKG and the result was negative. After a long day at the ER, a chest ray was also taken (negative), and the doctor said that they do EKG exams everyday and he concluded I was perfectly fine.

Total expenses incurred: $3k
Total expenses (after insurance): $1.6K

I feel like going to the doctor to get a minor chest pain checked out was simply looking for trouble. Is there anyway I can avoid paying this cost? I appreciate everyone's opinion. Thanks!

Hank
I don't think, based on the information you provided here, that anyone can really advise you. We don't have access to your medical records. Does your family have a history of heart issues? Are you very overweight? ...See where I'm going?

Take you medical resords to an attorney and see what s/he says.

Personally I would just pay the 1,600.00 as apparently the Doctor did the right thing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">