• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problems with drug given, no warning of problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ultimangel2

What is the name of your state? California
Hi, I've been having trouble finding an attorney because it's not a case that fits easily into a catagory. Some years ago my doctor put me on a drug for a medical condition. Turns out that the drug has a severe withdrawl syndrome. My doctor did not know this at the time. The drug is Effexor, just do a Google search of "Effexor withdrawl" and you will see thousands of people that are currently going through a rough time trying to stop taking this drug.

The reason I feel there is a case here is, in 1997 when the drug was being given out to many people, the doctors and the medical literature didn't say anything about the withdrawl syndrome. But in looking at the FDA drug trials for this drug the withdrawl syndrome was evident. In the current warnings that come with the drug today the problem is greatly minimized and downplayed, and yet the withdrawls can be extremely severe. Wyeth is the company who makes the drug.

I am on my 4th week of going through withdrawls trying to get off this drug. The doctors had to provide written explanations of the withdrawl syndrome to my employer so I could take off time from work. I am unable to do anything for any extended period, just typing this in is hell, and nothing makes it better.

A withdrawl syndrome is not an addiction. There is no desire to take the drug. It is a medically documented condition that myself and thousands of others were never warned about when we started this drug.

Please excuse the silly email address. Responses would be appreciated. I would like to hire an attorney on retainer. Thank you.

justalayman

Ultimangel2 said:
A withdrawl syndrome is not an addiction. There is no desire to take the drug. It is a medically documented condition that myself and thousands of others were never warned about when we started this drug.
Actuallly withdrawl is an addiction. A physical addiction as opposed to a psych addiction but that is beside the point.

Did you recieve and documentation from the manufacturer with your dispensed medication?
What did it state concerning this?

ellencee

Ultimangel2 said:
Hi, I've been having trouble finding an attorney because it's not a case that fits easily into a catagory. Some years ago my doctor put me on a drug for a medical condition. Turns out that the drug has a severe withdrawl syndrome. My doctor did not know this at the time. The drug is Effexor, just do a Google search of "Effexor withdrawl" and you will see thousands of people that are currently going through a rough time trying to stop taking this drug.

The reason I feel there is a case here is, in 1997 when the drug was being given out to many people, the doctors and the medical literature didn't say anything about the withdrawl syndrome. But in looking at the FDA drug trials for this drug the withdrawl syndrome was evident. In the current warnings that come with the drug today the problem is greatly minimized and downplayed, and yet the withdrawls can be extremely severe. Wyeth is the company who makes the drug.

I am on my 4th week of going through withdrawls trying to get off this drug. The doctors had to provide written explanations of the withdrawl syndrome to my employer so I could take off time from work. I am unable to do anything for any extended period, just typing this in is hell, and nothing makes it better.

Please excuse the silly email address. Responses would be appreciated. I would like to hire an attorney on retainer. Thank you.
You have no reason to hire an attorney. Effexor is like many other drugs that alter the absorption and/or reabsorption of chemicals in the brain. Effexor has always carried the warning to not stop taking the drug or reduce the dosage without your physicians knowledge and management of your care. Gee, what could that mean other than your health may require management by a physician if you decrease or stop your dosage of this medication?

The general public seems to believe that medications are magic potions and as such should only benefit and never harm. Any medication, regardless of whether it is over-the-counter or by prescription, makes your body do something your body does not want to do . Medications make the body do more or less than the body wants to do. It's really that simple.

When one takes medication that directly affects the chemicals that regulate brain activity, one can not accurately predict the outcome. Noone knows the longterm effects of medications like Effexor and noone can predict who will be able to stop the medication with little ill effect and who will not be able to stop the medication with little ill effect.

You are one of the unlucky ones who traded depression for withdrawal from Effexor. I hope, for your sake, taking the medication yeilded more longterm benefits than ill effects of withdrawal.

EC

Last edited:

rmet4nzkx

The side effects and withdrawl problems with this Rx are well known, that is why there are patient informaiton inserts, pharmacists to consult with and doctors to monitor your use and eventual withdrawl from medications. If law suits were allowed every time someone had a reaction to a mediction or withdrawl from it, we would have no Rx on the market, Rx are effective because of their affects on people. Some very useful Rx have been removed from the market because a few people sued because of their own misuse of the Rx. YOU need to follow your psychiatrist's instructions when seeking to withdraw from this medication.

panzertanker

Ultimangel2 said:

Did YOU stop taking the drug, or did your physician tell you to stop taking it?

Who are you looking to sue?
Why?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">