• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about medication side effects

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

austin8979

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I was just diagnosed with HCM (obstructive) in the past few months at the age of 46. My doctor had me on Verapamil which made me so short of breath that I couldn't take it. He switched me to Cardizem which was working fine for me on the lowest dose but my blood pressure was still a borderline so he upped my dosage. Now, I am having terrible swelling of my legs and hands and noticing wheezing also. Now, I am also an asthmatic, but this wheezing is different from what I usually experience. How common are these side effects and what can I do about this since I can't live with this kind of swelling in my legs, it makes it difficult to walk.
Also, does anyone know if an asthmatic can safely use a beta-blocker? I know that there are some that are more selective. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks for any input!

samuel_765

Welcome!

I took Cardizem for about a month last year and I'm sorry to say that it was not a very good experience for me. I had fluid problems for the first time ever while taking it, and also had my first bout with CHF. My docs at the time told me it was simply a coincidence, because after I went off of the Cardizem the fluid remained. But needless to say, I have never in my life had fluid problems of any kind prior to taking that drug. If nothing else, I believe it precipitated my going into CHF and I've had fluid trouble off and on ever since.

I know it's not a very rosy picture for me to paint, but I think all of us here on the board appreciate hearing both the bad and the good so we can make informed decisions. This is also only my personal experience with the drug. Results will vary. Unfortunately, not much research & development done in this field Do please inform your doctor of the side-effects you are having though.

Last edited by a moderator:

lealea1005

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I was just diagnosed with HCM (obstructive) in the past few months at the age of 46. My doctor had me on Verapamil which made me so short of breath that I couldn't take it. He switched me to Cardizem which was working fine for me on the lowest dose but my blood pressure was still a borderline so he upped my dosage. Now, I am having terrible swelling of my legs and hands and noticing wheezing also. Now, I am also an asthmatic, but this wheezing is different from what I usually experience. How common are these side effects and what can I do about this since I can't live with this kind of swelling in my legs, it makes it difficult to walk.
Also, does anyone know if an asthmatic can safely use a beta-blocker? I know that there are some that are more selective. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks for any input!

Please call your Physician TODAY and report your symptoms.
Cardizem is a calcium blocker, not a beta blocker and can cause edema (swelling) and you other symptoms.

Last edited:

panzertanker

How common are these side effects and what can I do about this since I can't live with this kind of swelling in my legs, it makes it difficult to walk.
Call your physician TODAY.

austin8979 said:

Thanks for any input!
The easy answer is:
Yes/No

It depends on many factors, and cannot/should not be discussed here. See your doctor. You need to discuss your edema/breathing issues immediately.

ellencee

Call your physician TODAY.

The easy answer is:
Yes/No

It depends on many factors, and cannot/should not be discussed here. See your doctor. You need to discuss your edema/breathing issues immediately.
The best advice you can receive has been given--see the text above in bold--and start dialing your MD's telephone number NOW!

FYI, folks: Cardizem is a calcium channel blocker, not a beta blocker, and as such does not adversely interact with asthma meds in the same manner as a beta blocker does. Additionally, swelling of the legs is one the most common side effects of calcium channel blockers. In the OP's described circumstances, it is impossible to even guess if the leg swelling and shortness of breath are side effects of Cardizem or pump failure due to HCM.

EC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">