• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about presenting Doctor with medical history document

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kilobite

If I create a list of my medical history (ie: past surgeries, allergies, medications etc...) present it to a nonfamiliar Doctor and sign it in his presence, is it legally valid? If not, is it possible to make such a document valid?

Thank you very much in advance!

Kilobite

Actually, I'd like to know if this is legal in the United States as well to be honest, and if so, which specific states?

Proserpina

See the thing is, I don't even know where to begin... even with google, which is why I came to this website :) if you could point me in the right direction, that would be greatly appreciated.

There are 50 states in the US, as you probably know. Each state has different laws; that's not even touching on Federal and/or Tribal law either.

The problem is that whatever the US says about a particular issue, it is not relevant to any other country. It's not that we don't want to help - it's rather we can't help.

The only hint I can honestly give you is that there appears to be no reason to use such a document; in the US if you want a copy of your medical history you can get a copy of the records. There are strict rules pertaining to who is and who is not entitled to these records without a court order.

Kilobite

There are 50 states in the US, as you probably know. Each state has different laws; that's not even touching on Federal and/or Tribal law either.

The problem is that whatever the US says about a particular issue, it is not relevant to any other country. It's not that we don't want to help - it's rather we can't help.

The only hint I can honestly give you is that there appears to be no reason to use such a document; in the US if you want a copy of your medical history you can get a copy of the records. There are strict rules pertaining to who is and who is not entitled to these records without a court order.
Thank you very much for the reply, and I do understand. In regards to your response though, speaking hypothetically as if I were a US citizen, once I obtained my own records, would I be allowed to with them what I please? On a Federal level even?

Proserpina

Thank you very much for the reply, and I do understand. In regards to your response though, speaking hypothetically as if I were a US citizen, once I obtained my own records, would I be allowed to with them what I please? On a Federal level even?

Your records don't strictly belong to you - they belong to the provider. You can get a copy, yes, but the originals will always stay with the provider.

If you want to make paper planes out of your copies? No law against that!

(Unless a local ordinance bars the flight of paper planes, anyway)

Kilobite

Your records don't strictly belong to you - they belong to the provider. You can get a copy, yes, but the originals will always stay with the provider.

If you want to make paper planes out of your copies? No law against that!

(Unless a local ordinance bars the flight of paper planes, anyway)
Haha, creative response. My last and final question relates to your previous comment... if I obtain a copy of the records, is it, "for my eyes only" so to speak? You've been most helpful thus far, and again, I appreciate it.

Proserpina

Haha, creative response. My last and final question relates to your previous comment... if I obtain a copy of the records, is it, "for my eyes only" so to speak? You've been most helpful thus far, and again, I appreciate it.

Nope - you can share with anyone.

Just please note that (and again, this pertains to the US) amending or otherwise doctoring (no pun intended) your copy and passing them off as accurate and true may land you in hot water.

Kilobite

Nope - you can share with anyone.

Just please note that (and again, this pertains to the US) amending or otherwise doctoring (no pun intended) your copy and passing them off as accurate and true may land you in hot water.
I get the feeling everyone thinks I am some criminal now by asking these questions lol quite honestly these are just relevant to a start-up I had in mind, and was wondering which countries it may appeal to. It's been nice, but you have answered my questions quick and efficiently. Great community, thanks again!

+1

FlyingRon

Actually, with the limited exception of psychotherapy notes, you have complete rights of access to your medical records and may do with them what you please. In fact, if you feel there are errors the providers are required to amend them with your corrections.

I'm still not understanding what good having the new provider signing them is.

OHRoadwarrior

I'm trying to determine what you think the point of it is. A doctor only recognizes medical diagnosis from other medical practitioners. Anything you present, absent that supporting documentation, is considered a source for exploration if necessary, not medical fact.

I get the feeling everyone thinks I am some criminal now by asking these questions lol quite honestly these are just relevant to a start-up I had in mind, and was wondering which countries it may appeal to. It's been nice, but you have answered my questions quick and efficiently. Great community, thanks again!

+1

Proserpina

Actually, with the limited exception of psychotherapy notes, you have complete rights of access to your medical records and may do with them what you please. In fact, if you feel there are errors the providers are required to amend them with your corrections.

I'm still not understanding what good having the new provider signing them is.
In the US, all that is required is that the provider adds the patient's note. They cannot change the original record in that manner.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">