• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recurrent Laryngeal Nerve Paralysis after Total Thyroidectomy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

peteysmom

What is the name of your state? Nebraska. I had a total thyroidectomy for multidodular goiters and difficulty swallowing in December 2007. The general surgeon that performed the surgery told me he was going to use a special ET tube to monitor my nerves during surgery. After the surgery I found out he changed his mind and did not use this special tube. I have bilateral recurrent laryngeal nerve paresis. I went to an Ear, Nose and Throat doctor two months ago (March) to confirm this. My voice is soft and whispery, I have difficulty doing much in the way of activity related to shortness of breath. The first three months after surgery I was VERY whispery, it has gotten better but is far from normal. I can not sing, have trouble talking on a cell phone and hard of hearing people cant hear me. I cant raise my voice at all and certain words, letters are impossible to say. The ENT actually recommended I consider a tracheostomy if my shortness of breath does not improve. They are recommending that I wait 5-6 months to see if it comes back and then get another evaluation. Is there a limitation on the time I would have to pursue litigation on the surgeon that performed the surgery if I continue to wait? Do I even have a case or is this just an adverse outcome to surgery? I dont know if I should continue to wait or see an attorney now? Thanks for any direction. Peteys Mom

lya

Your described nerve damage is within the expected potential outcomes of such a surgery and, prior to surgery, you were made aware of the potential for this outcome; were you not?

Your voice may return, to some level, within a few weeks or months, or after a much later time. The best you can do is take care of your throat and not strain your vocal cords by attempting to test your voice.

A jury will believe that you DID know about the risk prior to surgery and will also believe that, based on your medical condition, the benefit(s) of surgery far outweighed the risk of nerve damage.

Take care of yourself.

barry1817

nerve damage

What is the name of your state? Nebraska. I had a total thyroidectomy for multidodular goiters and difficulty swallowing in December 2007. The general surgeon that performed the surgery told me he was going to use a special ET tube to monitor my nerves during surgery. After the surgery I found out he changed his mind and did not use this special tube. I have bilateral recurrent laryngeal nerve paresis. I went to an Ear, Nose and Throat doctor two months ago (March) to confirm this. My voice is soft and whispery, I have difficulty doing much in the way of activity related to shortness of breath. The first three months after surgery I was VERY whispery, it has gotten better but is far from normal. I can not sing, have trouble talking on a cell phone and hard of hearing people cant hear me. I cant raise my voice at all and certain words, letters are impossible to say. The ENT actually recommended I consider a tracheostomy if my shortness of breath does not improve. They are recommending that I wait 5-6 months to see if it comes back and then get another evaluation. Is there a limitation on the time I would have to pursue litigation on the surgeon that performed the surgery if I continue to wait? Do I even have a case or is this just an adverse outcome to surgery? I dont know if I should continue to wait or see an attorney now? Thanks for any direction. Peteys Mom
I am just amazed that a doctor would state that a procedure is going to be used, which has the ability to monitor and possibly limit problems, and then not use that procedure.
Seems to be a callous disregard to a patient. I wonder why he changed his mind, I wonder why he told you, and I wonder how you came to know about this after the fact. Something is not sitting right with what has happened to you or with how this treatment went

lya

I am just amazed that a doctor would state that a procedure is going to be used, which has the ability to monitor and possibly limit problems, and then not use that procedure.
Seems to be a callous disregard to a patient. I wonder why he changed his mind, I wonder why he told you, and I wonder how you came to know about this after the fact. Something is not sitting right with what has happened to you or with how this treatment went
Gee! I wonder why a tracheostomy wasn't performed after it was considered--NOT!

What is the matter with you, Barry?

Voice loss after surgery involving the thyroid is not an unexpected risk or outcome. Surely, you know where the larynx is located? where the thyroid gland is located? what a TRACHEOSTOMY is and the implications of 'having' one!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">