• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Refused meds in jail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bbarger435

Hi, I was incarcerated for 30 days in Hendricks County, Indiana approximately one year ago. I am now a state level College student majoring in IT. I brought this up to a criminology major, and they advised me what they did was illegal.

I have been taking Dioxepin for 6 years now. I take it for chronic hives and breakouts. My medicine was brought to the jail, and I put in a request to see the doctor. I was taken to the doctor, and she laughed at me and told me there was no way I was getting my prescribe medicine because it is a "sleeping pill." Nor was I getting anything else, as my hives looked like dry skin. I was in disbelief and suffered for the remaining time in jail.

Is it legal for them to refuse my legally prescribed medicines I have been taking for years now? Should I seek council and take more action? It still aggravates me to this very day. Thanks.

rmet4nzkx

The medications has several actions. It is a TCA that is a form of antidepressant and may cause some to sleep, others to become manic in addition to helping with hives. If you have chronic hives the reason for hives should be sought and treated, however if they only looked like dryskin it doesn't sound as if there was any great urgency to treat. The 30 day drug vacation didn't hurt you. You should ask your psychiatrist to adjust your medications.

bbarger435

Yes, I realize doxepin is a antidepressant. I really, really dislike taking it but it is the only thing that has helped me cope with the constant itching I undergo everyday. I take approximately 50mg once a week. The doctor prescribed 100mg daily, but that is overkill and I don't like it. Sometimes my hives are just red marks, and sometimes they appear in welp(t?) formations.

In addition, I've seeked professional help to no avail, and they say they cannot diagnose what is causing them. It's easily the most irritating thing in my life, and has been for years. In addition, I do not have a psychiatrist, nor have I ever had one as I do not deal with depression or any associated illnesses.

I thank you for your responce, and I will try to drop this. Thanks.

ItsMe

meds/hives

If you can, find a naturalpath in your area who will help find the reason why
you are having hives. Try a cleansing program for liver, skin, kidneys etc. A naturalpath can help.
Eat clean, unprocessed foods. Best of luck to you!
So sorry to hear about what happened.

rmet4nzkx

bbarger435 said:
Yes, I realize doxepin is a antidepressant. I really, really dislike taking it but it is the only thing that has helped me cope with the constant itching I undergo everyday. I take approximately 50mg once a week. The doctor prescribed 100mg daily, but that is overkill and I don't like it. Sometimes my hives are just red marks, and sometimes they appear in welp(t?) formations.

In addition, I've seeked professional help to no avail, and they say they cannot diagnose what is causing them. It's easily the most irritating thing in my life, and has been for years. In addition, I do not have a psychiatrist, nor have I ever had one as I do not deal with depression or any associated illnesses.

I thank you for your responce, and I will try to drop this. Thanks.
Not knowing the other things you have tried I can't comment of if Doxepin is your last resort, however if your were perscribed 100 mg daily and instead found 50 mg weekly to work, confirms that, you didn't have an urgent need for the medication for 30 days in jail. I strongly suggest that you consult a psychiatrist anyway since you took a psychiatric drug with atypical reactions for so long. Hives can be caused by stress so it is possible that you do have a mind/body problem and that you have become dependent on the medication over time.

bbarger435

What other medicines could you suggest? I absolutely dread the thought of taking the medicine, and I am for from dependant on it. I usually take benedryl every night and it gives me about 12 itch free hours. The itching becomes horrible after that. I really believe my hives are caused by some sort of dairy product or the sort, but my dermitologist said he cannot confirm that.

The dermitologist was the one who originally prescribed me 10mg a day of doxipen, and my family doctor later upped that to 100mg. I more wish they could have just tried to cure the problem, but they said it may last the rest of my life :mad:

Either way, the serious itching and waking up in the middle of the night during my "vacation" was pretty overwhelming. Would have been nice if they could have atleast given me adapin or benedryl once a day. Oh well.

rmet4nzkx

bbarger435 said:
What other medicines could you suggest? I absolutely dread the thought of taking the medicine, and I am for from dependant on it. I usually take benedryl every night and it gives me about 12 itch free hours. The itching becomes horrible after that. I really believe my hives are caused by some sort of dairy product or the sort, but my dermitologist said he cannot confirm that.

The dermitologist was the one who originally prescribed me 10mg a day of doxipen, and my family doctor later upped that to 100mg. I more wish they could have just tried to cure the problem, but they said it may last the rest of my life :mad:

Either way, the serious itching and waking up in the middle of the night during my "vacation" was pretty overwhelming. Would have been nice if they could have atleast given me adapin or benedryl once a day. Oh well.
Many people blame things on "Dairy products" w/o evidence. Have you been on any physician supervised elimination diets? What kind of dairy products to you eat, low/no/fat dairy, Whole milk/full fat dairy, Raw dairy products? So you/family have any history of asthma/lung or liver problems? Do you smoke or drink alcohol? Have you tried cocoa or coocnut oils topically, ingested coconut oil? Vit E or K? DO you take any supplements? How much Benedryl do you take? Any substance abuse problems?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">