• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

releasing medical records

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

larryrush

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? wisconsin
Hello larry here my ? is> I have signed a non release of medical information for a pain management clinic that states "Pt DOES NOT authorize the release of medical information pertaining to the 3-1-11 visit with pain management this was signed the nurse went ahead and called my pharmacy & my family dr in regards to my scripts being filled she asked what meds I had filled, how many,when it was filled, who is my Dr. and then proceeded to call my family Dr whom is dealing with my chronic pain needs since my neurologist of 12 years retired I needed to find a dr to take over my medical needs,I have been in many pain clinics in the past as well as many therapy clinics I have had 2 surgeries in relation to my work accident 1 neck fusion & 1 back fusion both failed surgeries massive nerve damage with severe head pain and sever nerve damage as well as fibromyalgia arthritis as well as a compression fracture of the spine that happened approx. in 2006 I have been through every possible action & meds to find some relief with no positive help. I want to seek legal advise to see what my choices are in relation to the pain clinic violating my patients rights to privacy that they broke even after I signed a non release of any and all records directly related to my visit to their clinic. Any help you can offer would be of great appreciation. Please respond to my e-mail listed or call on phone to discuss my options. thank you in advance for your help in this matter. Larry P.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

racer72

It sounds like you signed a standard HIPAA form. If that is the case, the clinic did nothing wrong, in fact, the nurse complied with existing law. Before giving you a prescription for any kind of medication, especially pain meds, the nurse had to verify what you were already taking and in what amount. If the nurse had not done this, 2 things could have happened. The clinic could have face potential lawsuits if you were injured because of the over or mismedication. Or you could have faced criminal charges for doctor shopping. The release you sign prevented the clinic from releasing the information to those that did not have anything to do with your current medical condition, it does not apply to other health care professionals that have a need to know.

We don't respond to posts in this site by email or by phone. The information provided is posted for all to see so others with similar situations can learn from others and so we don't have to answer the same questions over and over.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">