• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ridiculously painful teeth cleaning.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

splein23

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.

I've had many procedures done in my life but few things hurt as much my teeth cleaning. I know it had been a long time and bleeding should have been expected but my dentist really refused to do anything about the pain. They used some numbing gel, a little Valium, and on the last day a very low rate of NO2. She even said she was going to run it lower than normal and never raised it once even though it wasn't doing anything. I was ready to rip the mask off my face because it wasn't having even the slightest effect and I was having to pay for it out of pocket per hour. I let the dentist know multiple times during the cleaning that it was excruciating and the only option they gave me was to stop. Stop for what? So I can just make it even more visits? It already was over 4 hours spread over 3 visits and they missed spots too.

Was there seriously nothing else they could possibly do to help the pain? Also do I have any options to avoid this in the future?

My dental record: It had been around 20 years since I had a cleaning but I was only 5 when I had it. I had very little signs of gingavitus, one small cavity, and my x-rays showed up fine.

For fun here's a list of some things I've had done in my life that hurt less than the teeth cleaning I had: A circumcision when I was 17 years old, gastric bypass, a vasectomy, a tattoo. Seriously, the cleaning felt like I was getting a tattoo done in my mouth.

LdiJ

I've had many procedures done in my life but few things hurt as much my teeth cleaning. I know it had been a long time and bleeding should have been expected but my dentist really refused to do anything about the pain. They used some numbing gel, a little Valium, and on the last day a very low rate of NO2. She even said she was going to run it lower than normal and never raised it once even though it wasn't doing anything. I was ready to rip the mask off my face because it wasn't having even the slightest effect and I was having to pay for it out of pocket per hour. I let the dentist know multiple times during the cleaning that it was excruciating and the only option they gave me was to stop. Stop for what? So I can just make it even more visits? It already was over 4 hours spread over 3 visits and they missed spots too.

Was there seriously nothing else they could possibly do to help the pain? Also do I have any options to avoid this in the future?

My dental record: It had been around 20 years since I had a cleaning but I was only 5 when I had it. I had very little signs of gingavitus, one small cavity, and my x-rays showed up fine.

For fun here's a list of some things I've had done in my life that hurt less than the teeth cleaning I had: A circumcision when I was 17 years old, gastric bypass, a vasectomy, a tattoo. Seriously, the cleaning felt like I was getting a tattoo done in my mouth.
Don't use that dentist again. It does NOT have to be that painful.

Ladyback1

4 hrs over 3 days? 20 yrs since a cleaning? Of course it's going to hurt!
Were they doing root scaling as well? That's not comfortable at any time...

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Also do I have any options to avoid this in the future?

Yes. Go to a different dentist.

If you are asking whether you have any options via the legal system, no, you do not.

splein23

4 hrs over 3 days? 20 yrs since a cleaning? Of course it's going to hurt!
Were they doing root scaling as well? That's not comfortable at any time...
I'm pretty sure they did nothing to my roots. It's obvious it would hurt but was there seriously nothing they could do? You'd think we'd have the technology to negate at least most of the pain especially when it's to be expected like that.

Silverplum

I'm pretty sure they did nothing to my roots. It's obvious it would hurt but was there seriously nothing they could do? You'd think we'd have the technology to negate at least most of the pain especially when it's to be expected like that.
None of this is a legal matter. You've come to the wrong forum.

splein23

Also do I have any options to avoid this in the future?

Yes. Go to a different dentist.

If you are asking whether you have any options via the legal system, no, you do not.
Didn't think I'd have any legal options, I might scare them a little when I go to pay the bill though. Any ideas on how to find a good dentist that won't be mega conservative with the pain management? I'm not looking to get high but I'd rather be high and not in intense pain. The option of putting it off and needing dentures when I'm 50 doesn't sound good either. I know there are a few dentists who will do a general anesthetic for fillings and root canals but I'm wondering what my best option is for cleanings. I don't care what I have to do but I'll do anything to not go through that hell again.

Silverplum

Didn't think I'd have any legal options, I might scare them a little when I go to pay the bill though. Any ideas on how to find a good dentist that won't be mega conservative with the pain management? I'm not looking to get high but I'd rather be high and not in intense pain. The option of putting it off and needing dentures when I'm 50 doesn't sound good either. I know there are a few dentists who will do a general anesthetic for fillings and root canals but I'm wondering what my best option is for cleanings. I don't care what I have to do but I'll do anything to not go through that hell again.
You've come to the wrong forum.

splein23

None of this is a legal matter. You've come to the wrong forum.
Wasn't sure, figured I'd check. Thought maybe there might be malpractice due to them being incredibly incompetent with patient pain management. Also the fact that they took over 4 hours to do something that normally takes an hour and they also charged me for the NO2 which they purposefully ran at a rate so low that it wouldn't likely do any good for anybody. Pretty messed up that I can't agree to a certain level of pain killers before the procedure.

Edit: I'll remove my post in a few.

Last edited:

ajkroy

Pain is subjective. What is excruciating for you might be only mildly irritating for someone else. Most people go to the dentist every six months to avoid exactly that type of situation. If someone had mild discomfort twice a year X twenty years, it isn't unreasonable to expect 40X the work to be done and that much more distress. And because plaque is cumulative, it builds and builds...taking more time and creating more discomfort to remove.

The good news is, now you can start with clean teeth and make sure you're never in that position again.

ecmst12

Must have been a deep cleaning. But how to prevent this from happening again is to not wait 20 years before you get another cleaning.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">