• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

right after surgery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yamaha284

I have gotten into a motorcycle accident on my dirt bike in which I had blunt force trauma causing a swollen heart, a collapsed lung , a bleedingI kidney, separated shoulder, broken ribs, broken forearm, broken wrist and broken hand. When I got in to the hospital they already knew I was allergic to morphine and it was in their system. They had me on deloten prior to surgery and norcos as well as other antibiotics for my heart and kidney. I was scheduled to be in the icu a remain in the er due to the lack of beds for several days. Once they got my heart and kidney squared away and I was no longer considered life or death situation I was moved intothe the o r. They tried to get me into surgery for several days starting sunday and finally got me in on wednesday late afternoon. Prior to surgery I'm at with the team the docto and we went over my medical history. They acknowledge that I was allergic to morphine is it showed on their computer which I saw as well as my other allergy medication septra. During surgery and post surgery I was on a drip of a drug only used for surgery I was told that is 20 * stronger than morphine which I was also on during in recovery room. They then disconnected me n recovery room and took me back to my room which I was told I was going to get delodin again with something else. As we showed up I was told they ordered the wrong push drip of morphine and which I told them I could not take that and I know that. It took them about an hour to get me the correct medication that was approved by a doctor and thru pharmacy. During that hour I was in the most pain of my life To where I was running around the hospital trying to figure out what to do if there was a window open I would've jumped out to relieve the pain because I could not handle it. I literally did not want or could take it any longer because of their mess up but somehow I made it through. I told the trauma team the next morning what had happened and they said that should have never happened in 1,000,000 years. They were going to look into it and figure out how it went through their computer through the application through pharmacy and never got caught. The head nurse told us they were going to get a response to what happened and we never received 1. I am curious if this is something that I can go after them for medical malpractice and pain and suffering? Any help would be appreciated.

OHRoadwarrior

As the discomfort you suffered was short term and could not be measured by a trauma meter, you suffered no long term effects. You likely have no case worth a lawyers time.

ecmst12

You have no permanent damages. You should not be charged for any of the treatment you required due to the medication error. You should contact the hospital administration though. They will know that it was Very Very Bad that they allowed this to happen.

justalayman

You have no permanent damages. You should not be charged for any of the treatment you required due to the medication error. You should contact the hospital administration though. They will know that it was Very Very Bad that they allowed this to happen.
the only error was that OP was going to receive a morphine drip which OP caught and they did not administer. If they try to charge OP for the meds, I agree that should not be charged to the OP.

other than that, if OP as able to run around the hospital, either they were delusional and only believed they were running around the hospital (my bet) or they are immune to the effects of surgery. OP claims he was running around the hospital (which I seriously doubt the nurses would have allowed. Heck, I would be surprised if OP was allowed to go to the bathroom let alone run around the halls) immediately after returning to his room after surgery. I have had enough surgeries to know that is just a very unlikely claim.

yamaha284

Justalayman.. id prefer a response from someone that knows law. Why would I lie on a free forum? Unreal... yes I was running around screaming and the nurses were trying to get me back to my room but the pain was so intense I don't even know what I was doing... my roommate even said I asked him to take a hammer to my head. I've been in two other dirt bike accidents where one was a shattered elbow and broken arm and the other a blown out tibia and a handlebar through the thigh. Neither of those accidents did I ever feel the pain I felt off the meds after surgery at any point during them so before you go questioning what took place. You sound like an immature 15. Yr old that thinks he knows e erything. Thanks to the other two for your responses.. kinda what I figured but still blows my mind this happened. By far worst pain I've ever felt.

justalayman

Justalayman.. id prefer a response from someone that knows law.
Why would I lie on a free forum?
why would you? I don't know but I know a lot of people do.

Unreal... yes I was running around screaming and the nurses were trying to get me back to my room but the pain was so intense I don't even know what I was doing...
and yet nobody from the hospital who were incurring huge amounts of liability for allowing this did anything. Oh, I see, they tried but for some reason they could not subdue a patient that was just returning from recovery that has multiple broken bones, a collapsed lung, and swollen heart, and a bleeding kidney. I guess they need to hire bigger orderlies.

my roommate even said I asked him to take a hammer to my head.
delirium causes some strange yet self manufactured memories.

You sound like an immature 15. Yr old that thinks he knows e erything.
a bit older than that and although I do not know everything, I know enough to know that your story is extremely implausible and very unlikely.

and you want the law?

nothing happened to you so you have no claim.

Ladyback1

It took them about an hour to get me the correct medication that was approved by a doctor and thru pharmacy. During that hour I was in the most pain of my life To where I was running around the hospital trying to figure out what to do if there was a window open I would've jumped out to relieve the pain because I could not handle it. I literally did not want or could take it any longer because of their mess up but somehow I made it through. I told the trauma team the next morning what had happened and they said that should have never happened in 1,000,000 years. They were going to look into it and figure out how it went through their computer through the application through pharmacy and never got caught. The head nurse told us they were going to get a response to what happened and we never received 1. I am curious if this is something that I can go after them for medical malpractice and pain and suffering? Any help would be appreciated.
No, it's not something you can sue for malpractice. Nor can you sue for pain and suffering.

I seriously, highly doubt you were running around the hospital! They'd have popped you w/ some Versed (which is often used in surgical anesthesia).
Or they'd have restrained you. But, on the off chance you were--how'd you do it attached to an IV and catheter??

yamaha284

Well its obvious this website isn't any help. I was mostly at the nurse station and telling them to get it up there.. they already sent the nurse assistant manager to talk to me the next night... 15 minutes after they took me off the drip the pain was fully set in and they had disconnected me via my iv and had not connected me to anything in my bed in my room.. like they weren't ready for me. It sounds like this isn't anything worth pursuing but i've also gota state there are some real low lifestyle on here. Btw.. if I still had s swollen heart and collapsed lung as well as bleeding kidney do you think they would have done arm surgery? Your a real idiot if you think that because they would not work on my arm for 6 days after being in the e.r. then transfered to icu then transferred me to or once the life threatening injuries were taken care of.. ie) heart swelling.. lung with oxygen breathing machine and voldyne inhaler machine as well as antibiotics for my kidney. Those were all taken care of but im supposed to keep using the voldyne machine. When I went to pre surgery and met the surgeon he said I had a heart rub which freaked me out but I guess that was from trama and hopefully will go away. Anyway.. would appreciate responses from individuals that don't question me. If your calling me a liar simply don't respond cuz I don't want to wastr your time and hope you wouldn't waste mine.

justalayman

yamaha284;3040961]Well its obvious this website isn't any help.
how is that? You got the answer you sought.

I was mostly at the nurse station and telling them to get it up there
.oh, so you weren't running about the halls looking for a window like you claimed.

It sounds like this isn't anything worth pursuing
it isn't because they have done nothing to pursue.

if I still had s swollen heart and collapsed lung as well as bleeding kidney do you think they would have done arm surgery?
Um, ya, if it is necessary. I do not know the status of your injury but if it was a compound fracture, yes, it is quite possible they would perform surgery with the other problems. If the bone might severe an artery, yes, they might do the surgery. Each case is individually judged whether the a surgery is important enough to undertake immediately or wait until other injuries have been taken care of in some fashion.

Those were all taken care of but im supposed to keep using the voldyne machine.
the same thing my kid with asthma used to use. It is simply so you can measure your improvement, or lack of, in your breath capacity and strength. It's not like it is a big fancy machine. it is a little plastic thing you blow into and make a ball float. They cost about $10.
When I went to pre surgery and met the surgeon he said I had a heart rub which freaked me out but I guess that was from trama and hopefully will go away
would that be a periocardial rub or a pleural rub?

.Anyway.. would appreciate responses from individuals that don't question me.
you expect a lot from people giving you info for free. Sorry but you do not get to decide who responds

If your calling me a liar simply don't respond cuz I don't want to wastr your time and hope you wouldn't waste mine
.what else do you want? You got he answer to your question yet you still ponder suing.

YOU DO NOT HAVE A CAUSE OF ACTION so move on with life.

ecmst12

I'm sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you had RECEIVED a medication that you were allergic to. This was not a med error, no wrong med was given to you. You can still complain to admin but don't expect more than an apology. They got your orders corrected as soon as they could.

Ladyback1

Well its obvious this website isn't any help. I was mostly at the nurse station and telling them to get it up there.. they already sent the nurse assistant manager to talk to me the next night... 15 minutes after they took me off the drip the pain was fully set in and they had disconnected me via my iv and had not connected me to anything in my bed in my room.. like they weren't ready for me. It sounds like this isn't anything worth pursuing but i've also gota state there are some real low lifestyle on here. Btw.. if I still had s swollen heart and collapsed lung as well as bleeding kidney do you think they would have done arm surgery? Your a real idiot if you think that because they would not work on my arm for 6 days after being in the e.r. then transfered to icu then transferred me to or once the life threatening injuries were taken care of.. ie) heart swelling.. lung with oxygen breathing machine and voldyne inhaler machine as well as antibiotics for my kidney. Those were all taken care of but im supposed to keep using the voldyne machine. When I went to pre surgery and met the surgeon he said I had a heart rub which freaked me out but I guess that was from trama and hopefully will go away. Anyway.. would appreciate responses from individuals that don't question me. If your calling me a liar simply don't respond cuz I don't want to wastr your time and hope you wouldn't waste mine.
Ummmm....you had surgery--things are gonna hurt! Even if you had pain meds, it's still is gonna hurt!
You don't want pain and suffering then quit riding (wrecking) your bike.:rolleyes:

And yeah, you goober--they'd have done surgery with your heart swollen and your lung collapsed if need be. Drs/Surgeons do it all the d@mn time.
I find it incredulous that they would have completely taken out your IV, only because they would have needed the access for meds and fluids. Typically an IV is left in w/ either Saline or Lactated Ringers running in a TKO/KVO drip so that there is access--unless you had a port from a cut-down. Plus you had JUST gotten out of surgery--they need to be sure that you don't have any further issues before D/Cing the IV.

You post in a public forum. Your story made little sense, thus some of us (who actually do have medical knowledge) questioned the validity of your statements. Not calling you a liar--perhaps the anesthesia from surgery had made you confused and/or delirious. And you DID exaggerate wildly about your actions.

Hot Topic

Are you looking to be killed on a dirt bike? Someone somewhere cares about you. How many times are they going to have to say, "Oh, no! Not again!"

There's something wrong that you have these terrible injuries from dirt bikes, yet you continue to ride them.

Next time, call a lawyer rather than getting on a forum where you expect everyone to agree with you. And yes, admit that you've had more than one dirt bike accident with serious consequences. And no, don't repeat your claim that despite your injuries, you ran around and told someone to use a hammer on you.

yamaha284

The iv had a cap on it.. nothing attached.. sorry. Yes I was running around pissed off and in pain. They did not due arm surgery because it was not life threatening which is why they did surgery wed and I was in the previous friday. As far as the heart rub im not sure what kind. They could hear it upper left side of sternum??. Last motocross comes with lots of injuries.. its the nature of the sport and if you disagree you are unfamiliar with the sport. The top 5 out of 8 racers are out this year due to injury. I do appreciate those that responded kindly and your response. Sounds like its not something I will pursue but will still write the hospital admin since the computer app should have picked up the error. Reason I say this is I have many customers running epic which is their electronic medical records application and shouldn't have even been an option for them to submit to pharmacy... which had to take several screw ups for the order to make it to pharmacy up to my room and get caught luckily by my nurse. To those that are rude and questioning everything I hope you find something better to do than accuse people that are on the mend that they are lying to make yourselves feel better. Life would suck to be you. Get a hobby.. gf/bf wife/husband..kid or something. I really feel terrible for people like you.

yamaha284

Ecmst12. Appreciate your response.. that's all I was looking for and figured that's how it would be regardless of the amount of pain I was in. I just had questioned that we agreed I would be put back on the same pain reliever that was working for me then several people screwed up as well as the application that maybe I can get them to cover my deductible or something. Thanks again.

justalayman

Ecmst12. Appreciate your response.. that's all I was looking for and figured that's how it would be regardless of the amount of pain I was in. I just had questioned that we agreed I would be put back on the same pain reliever that was working for me then several people screwed up as well as the application that maybe I can get them to cover my deductible or something. Thanks again.
gee, sure is funny I gave you that same answer long ago.

and you want the law?

nothing happened to you so you have no claim.
the fifth post in this thread and about 20 hours ago.

Oh well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">