• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Right to Refuse treatment issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nrector

Arkansas.

From what I understand, a patient has the right to refuse treatment. But can a doctor refuse to treat a patient if they do?

My daughter is 7 months pregnant and refused the standard Glucose Tolerance test... something they used to only give when there was a reason to warrent it, but it is not given standard. She studied it herself and decided against it as she felt it was not good for her baby. Because she did this she had one of the doctors tell her it was a "stupid thing to do" and "where did she go to medical school" and several other very condesending rude things. She called the hospital to report him.

On her next visit she was informed that because her views were so 'different" from the doctors, they were releasing her from their care.

Is this legal?

ellencee

nrector

From what I understand, a patient has the right to refuse treatment. But can a doctor refuse to treat a patient if they do?

My daughter is 7 months pregnant and refused the standard Glucose Tolerance test... something they used to only give when there was a reason to warrent it, but it is not given standard. She studied it herself and decided against it as she felt it was not good for her baby. Because she did this she had one of the doctors tell her it was a "stupid thing to do" and "where did she go to medical school" and several other very condesending rude things. She called the hospital to report him.

On her next visit she was informed that because her views were so 'different" from the doctors, they were releasing her from their care.

Is this legal?
Is it legal? Yes; it is.

It's really tempting to ask where your daughter got the idea that she could call the local hospital and tattle-tell on the doctors but since it really doesn't matter, I won't ask.

EC

janedoe23

nrector said:
She studied it herself and decided against it as she felt it was not good for her baby.

HUH?????? Did she happen to also study the effects of having untreated gestational diabetes. Sounds like she rather deal with the possible problems rather than taking a simple test. Now is that legal??????????

N

nrector

Whoops...

I was under the impression that this was a "professional" site where you could get "professional" answers. My mistake.
I'll check elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">