• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rights as a Patient when information is stolen?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EyesonFire

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

So the long and short of it is, my husband received an email recently from mychart allina health. It stated that his request for a refill on a prescription had been received and filled and sent to a pharmacy. The only problem is MY HUSBAND NEVER SIGNED UP FOR MY CHART AND HASNT BEEN INTO THE DOCTOR FOR YEARS. Upon calling and expressing my concern to the patient claims department I was told it would take a 'few days for her to figure it out as it's all tracked.' Upon inspection she stated 'his account is inactive.' She claims she will get back to us a quickly as possible, on top of this unknown prescription that was given I myself was told recently at a doctors appointment that I had 'received narcotics every month for the last 12 months.' my insurance clearly shows that there was quite a few months between the times I had been in and certainly not monthly I have the conversation recorded with the lady I spoke with, and am wondering what our next step should be? This is clearly in violation with the hippa act as my chart requires his social security number to set up and as I stated he has NEVER filled out paperwork or given any form of ok for MyChart. Do I call the police and report this or wait it out for the hospital/clinic to figure it out. How do I find out who it is that's getting prescriptions under our names????? What are my rights in this situation? Thank you for your time

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The police are not going to do anything regarding a HIPAA complaint. That does not fall under their jurisdiction.

http://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/filing-a-complaint/index.html

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This doesn't sound like a HIPAA violation - but it does sound like identity theft. Husband should check his credit report, etc., and also report this to the police.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">