• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Root Canal complications - do I have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yokaromon

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

In September 2012, I had a root canal performed by a regular DDS. I did not have insurance at the time and paid cash, sticker price.

I recently went to a different dentist for a routine clean/xray/checkup, and he noticed that my root canal was extending out of the back of my tooth and it now has an infection.

I went back to the dentist who performed the root canal, he confirmed that it is infected, and referred me to an endodontist to have things repaired before things get really serious.

How liable am I for this expensive correction?

My problem is that I am going to the UK for a one-year postgrad in a couple of weeks. This is certainly too soon to deal with a lawyer, right?
If I need to have oral surgery to correct the root canal in the UK, when I come back could potentially get the dentist to reimburse for my UK dental bills?
Will the statute of limitations run out if I have it corrected in the US before I leave, then file a complaint after returning from the UK?

Mass_Shyster

The general rule for malpractice is that you must prove that the outcome was caused by negligence on the part of the dentist and was not merely an unfortunate outcome.

Proving that tends to get expensive.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

In September 2012, I had a root canal performed by a regular DDS. I did not have insurance at the time and paid cash, sticker price.

I recently went to a different dentist for a routine clean/xray/checkup, and he noticed that my root canal was extending out of the back of my tooth and it now has an infection.

I went back to the dentist who performed the root canal, he confirmed that it is infected, and referred me to an endodontist to have things repaired before things get really serious.

How liable am I for this expensive correction?

My problem is that I am going to the UK for a one-year postgrad in a couple of weeks. This is certainly too soon to deal with a lawyer, right?
If I need to have oral surgery to correct the root canal in the UK, when I come back could potentially get the dentist to reimburse for my UK dental bills?
Will the statute of limitations run out if I have it corrected in the US before I leave, then file a complaint after returning from the UK?
You could be smart to have the correction done in the U.S. and put the matter in the hands of a U.S. attorney prior to leaving for the U.K.

(bumping this thread to get deleted thread off main board)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">