• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Secondary Insurance Payments Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

carlla

I am in Oklahoma and have a question. I have a family member on medicare that has secondary insurance coverage. They are required to take infusions every 6 weeks and I know for a fact that the secondary carrier spends thousands a year on her treatments. Anyway, a few weeks back the secondary carrier sent her a check for a substantial amount and said it was her part of a refund for treatment dating back to 2011. I don't believe her copays have been anywhere close to the amount they sent. We have called multiple people multiple times and everytime someone calls back and assures is it is our money and we can cash it. The thing is none of these people are allowed to give their names or id numbers. The company is Humana. My radar is going off that if we cash it then it could mean they could cancel her secondary insurance but everyone seems to be saying the most they could do is ask for the money back. We want to do the right thing but after at least 6 different people have told us it is ours I am nearing my limit of worrying about it.

Appreciate any help you could provide.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am in Oklahoma and have a question. I have a family member on medicare that has secondary insurance coverage. They are required to take infusions every 6 weeks and I know for a fact that the secondary carrier spends thousands a year on her treatments. Anyway, a few weeks back the secondary carrier sent her a check for a substantial amount and said it was her part of a refund for treatment dating back to 2011. I don't believe her copays have been anywhere close to the amount they sent. We have called multiple people multiple times and everytime someone calls back and assures is it is our money and we can cash it. The thing is none of these people are allowed to give their names or id numbers. The company is Humana. My radar is going off that if we cash it then it could mean they could cancel her secondary insurance but everyone seems to be saying the most they could do is ask for the money back. We want to do the right thing but after at least 6 different people have told us it is ours I am nearing my limit of worrying about it.

Appreciate any help you could provide.
If they were going to cancel the secondary insurance, it seems to me that they would do it concurrent with the issuance of the check, not the cashing of it. I would suggest that you (she) write an old-fashioned letter, certified mail, return receipt requested, asking for clarification of the reason for the check.

carlla

If they were going to cancel the secondary insurance, it seems to me that they would do it concurrent with the issuance of the check, not the cashing of it. I would suggest that you (she) write an old-fashioned letter, certified mail, return receipt requested, asking for clarification of the reason for the check.
Thanks for your suggestion. We got a letter with the check explaining a little bit. When you call them they basically say it's not their job to try to figure out who it is supposed to go to. Very strange.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">