• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shands hospital

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fowler100

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? florida
If I went into the ER of Shands, which is a teaching hospital and they sent me to THEIR neurology clinic, and I mad my appointment the next day and faxed all the necessary paperwork and had my appointment only to be called a few hours later saying the Dr. whom I've never met will not see me and will not give me an explanation of why.
Would this be legal knowing what I would be going thru without the appointment ( morphine withdrawals ) I just don't understand as to why???

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
If I went into the ER of Shands, which is a teaching hospital and they sent me to THEIR neurology clinic, and I mad my appointment the next day and faxed all the necessary paperwork and had my appointment only to be called a few hours later saying the Dr. whom I've never met will not see me and will not give me an explanation of why.
Would this be legal knowing what I would be going thru without the appointment ( morphine withdrawals ) I just don't understand as to why???
Because you don't need a neurologist. :cool:

OHRoadwarrior

A doctor is not required to take on new patients and honestly, few will take on those using heavy pain killers, due to the liability. You should see the doctor who prescribed the morphine.

sandyclaus

Why would this even be a matter of whether or not it was legal? A doctor is not legally obligated to take on new patients if they don't want to. There could be any number of reasons why this specific doctor will not see you, not the least of which could involve their hesitance to treat a patient who is already being treated by another physician.

Why were you taking morphine in the first place? Was it prescribed, or were you self-medicating? Were you taking it due to a specific neurological issue? If it was prescribed, then why is the doctor who originally prescribed the medication no longer treating you? Were you doctor shopping in order to get a new prescription due to your prior physician refusing to renew the existing prescription?

fowler100

It was a morphine intrathecal pain pump and it was put in in Rhode Island and we moved to Florida following my husband's accident, his pump was a straight fill, no ****etail mixes, no oral meds and we offered to sign a liability waiver, instead after Dr. Foote refused to see him, even though he never even met him, we were told withdrawals won't kill you. My husband spent 5 weeks in hell and 6 months with the alarm on his pump going off once an hour, just to remind us it was still there. So no were wern't doctor shopping or jumping from one doctor to the other all we needed was a neurolgist to fill it with morphine once every 4 months, however it is exactly that type of quick assumptions that people jump to and why it is so very difficult to be in chronic pain, the irony of it was the pump worked better than all the pills, nerve blocks, therapy and more
What we have gone thru and I have described is only the tip of the iceberg, but I have come to learn we treat dogs better than we treat human beings..

ecmst12

That might have been a solution as well, but it's too late now since the pump has been removed and the patient did not appear to really try all that hard to find a solution, but now wants to sue someone. It doesn't really work that way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">