• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I bother?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

I have a 15 yo daughter who was admitted to a mental health facility for thoughts of suicide and self harm. While she was there, her doctor called me and asked for permission to start her on 10mg of a medication. Upon discharge we were given an Rx and sent home. For the next few days she started acting completely out of character, thoughts of self harm were even worse. Just one example; she at one point told me she wanted to jump out of the car (while I was driving) and hit her head on the pavement repeatedly. 6 days after she was discharged from there she took 10 of the meds she was prescribed, ambulance was called, when they asked for the Rx name and dosage, I told them the name and dosage and gave them the bottle. They looked at the bottle, the Rx was for 20mg, not 10 as she was taking at the facility. I then admitted my daughter to another facility to get her of the medication that she was over-prescribed and onto a more stable one.

Is there anything to pursue legally?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

I have a 15 yo daughter who was admitted to a mental health facility for thoughts of suicide and self harm. While she was there, her doctor called me and asked for permission to start her on 10mg of a medication. Upon discharge we were given an Rx and sent home. For the next few days she started acting completely out of character, thoughts of self harm were even worse. Just one example; she at one point told me she wanted to jump out of the car (while I was driving) and hit her head on the pavement repeatedly. 6 days after she was discharged from there she took 10 of the meds she was prescribed, ambulance was called, when they asked for the Rx name and dosage, I told them the name and dosage and gave them the bottle. They looked at the bottle, the Rx was for 20mg, not 10 as she was taking at the facility. I then admitted my daughter to another facility to get her of the medication that she was over-prescribed and onto a more stable one.

Is there anything to pursue legally?
Was she prescribed 10mg and dispensed 20mg?

I notice that you concluded that she was over-prescribed. How did you reach that conclusion?
The facility she was at has a policy that any new medication or change in medication, they have to call the parent and receive authorization to do so. I was only called to start her at 10, never to increase it to 20.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
The facility she was at has a policy that any new medication or change in medication, they have to call the parent and receive authorization to do so. I was only called to start her at 10, never to increase it to 20.
IF daughter was written an antidepressant, one of the known 'side effects' is suicide attempts. That's because a severely depressed person may not have the energy to attempt suicide, but a person who has taken the med for a short time may have more energy and may attempt suicide before the medicine reaches therapeutic levels (which can take up to a month or so). :cool:

But, no, I don't think you have anything to chase legally.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Irrelevant - you're talking about medication she was prescribed for after she left the facility. Now, on what do you base your conclusion that she was over-medicated?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">