• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I complain to the medical board?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sueismyname

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I was called in from a spinewellness pain clinic for a "random" pill count. I was due for the refill the next week. I was short 16 pills. First and only one I've had in my 51 years. My oxycodone was discontiued the day after.
I found out why I was called in. I was falsely accused to giving pills to my son by the pharmasist at tops store. I would never ever do that! I hid them very well too when he came to visit. Also he was in jail after my last pickup anways.
Should I make a complaint to the NY health board for being falsely accused of something I didn't do? It keeps annoying me.

Proserpina

I was called in from a spinewellness pain clinic for a "random" pill count. I was due for the refill the next week. I was short 16 pills. First and only one I've had in my 51 years. My oxycodone was discontiued the day after.
I found out why I was called in. I was falsely accused to giving pills to my son by the pharmasist at tops store. I would never ever do that! I hid them very well too when he came to visit. Also he was in jail after my last pickup anways.
Should I make a complaint to the NY health board for being falsely accused of something I didn't do? It keeps annoying me.
The obvious question is why were you short 16 pills a week before the refill date?

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Something happened to those 16 pills. You took more than the prescribed dose of a very strictly controlled substance, --or--, you intentionally allowed someone else to take them, --or-- you unintentionally allowed somebody to get them by not having them properly secured. On top of all that, there has been an accusation that you gave them to your son. Is he in jail for drug-related charges?

You're not going to get anywhere with this.

quincy

Here is a link to New York's Internet System for Tracking Over-Prescribing (I-Stop) Act. The proposal was signed into law by New York's Governor Cuomo in August of 2012.

http://www.ag.ny.gov/sites/default/files/press-releases/2012/ISTOP REPORT FINAL 1.10.12.pdf

The link provides a lot of information and it explains nicely why prescription drugs are now tracked - and gives good reasons why the pharmacist refused to refill your Oxycodone prescription.

Like Proserpina and >Charlotte<, however, I am curious about what happened to the 16 pills.

sueismyname

This was in January. When they did the pill count. I thought it was stupid and knew I wouldnt have a problem. I just found rest in my suitcase this weekend. I was really happy. When I hide, sometimes things I can't figure out where I put them. :(
My was in son is jail for breaking and entering.
I asked the nurse at nyspine and wellness why nobody I've known had a radom count. She lied and didnt reveal that the just got tip off from the pharm. I've been short a few times. I was getting 180 pills and Bottle says I could take 1-2 each 4 hours. But I did fail when I went over the max 6 by "1" pill a few times". :(

quincy

This was in January. When they did the pill count. I thought it was stupid and knew I wouldnt have a problem. I just found rest in my suitcase this weekend. I was really happy. When I hide, sometimes things I can't figure out where I put them. :(
My was in son is jail for breaking and entering.
I asked the nurse at nyspine and wellness why nobody I've known had a radom count. She lied and didnt reveal that the just got tip off from the pharm. I've been short a few times. I was getting 180 pills and Bottle says I could take 1-2 each 4 hours. But I did fail when I went over the max 6 by "1" pill a few times". :(
I am glad you were able to locate the missing pills. It can be dangerous to "hide" any prescribed medicine outside of a marked bottle, however. In the future, I recommend you keep all prescribed pills where they belong and, to keep your son or others from accessing the drugs, you should invest in a locked box or cabinet.

The bottom line is that your pharmacist did nothing wrong when refusing to refill your prescription. Pills like oxycodone are often abused. They have a street value which has resulted in their illegal distribution and sale in the past. That is one reason why I-STOP was enacted - to prevent both professionals and consumers from profiting off the illegal distribution and sale of these prescribed drugs.

Your pharmacist was protecting not only your health but he was protecting own license when reporting the missing pills.

ajkroy

I was called in from a spinewellness pain clinic for a "random" pill count. I was due for the refill the next week. I was short 16 pills. First and only one I've had in my 51 years.
I've been short a few times. I was getting 180 pills and Bottle says I could take 1-2 each 4 hours. But I did fail when I went over the max 6 by "1" pill a few times". :(
Hold on, these two statements don't add up. Either you've been short before or you haven't.

quincy

Hold on, these two statements don't add up. Either you've been short before or you haven't.
I read the first post as meaning that it was the first time sueismyname was subject to a random pill count, not necessarily the first time sueismyname was short on pills.

So, in my head at least, there was no conflict in the statements that were made - just some concern that there were shortages in the past that were not discovered.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
1-2 every 4 hours as needed for pain. I would suggest that you speak to your doctor about a change in medication to one that is more effective at controlling your pain.

sueismyname

1-2 every 4 hours as needed for pain. I would suggest that you speak to your doctor about a change in medication to one that is more effective at controlling your pain.
I took 1 1/2 every 4 hours. Sometimes I took pills as noted I could on the bottle. But if I took 2 every 4 hours I'd need 248 pills and I was only given 180.

sueismyname

I read the first post as meaning that it was the first time sueismyname was subject to a random pill count, not necessarily the first time sueismyname was short on pills.

So, in my head at least, there was no conflict in the statements that were made - just some concern that there were shortages in the past that were not discovered.[/QUOTE

Funny thing is I know there a few are middle aged older men that trade oxys for weed and never got a pill count. I don't do anything wrong and I get punished.

quincy

So, in my head at least, there was no conflict in the statements that were made - just some concern that there were shortages in the past that were not discovered.[/QUOTE

Funny thing is I know there a few are middle aged older men that trade oxys for weed and never got a pill count. I don't do anything wrong and I get punished.
When there are random checks, some abusers will not be detected and some non-abusers will be checked. That is just the nature of random checks. They are not perfect at stopping pill abuse but they are better than no checks at all.

I suppose it is arguable whether you did anything wrong or not. You lost track of 16 pills and that shows, at a minimum, that you were a bit careless with your prescription pills. These pills could have fallen into the wrong hands and sold for profit or, probably worse, consumed by someone else, causing harm to that person.

Again, it is important to keep your extra pills in their original containers to use as directed only.

I agree with Zigner that, IF the Oxycodone is not relieving your pain as it should, this is something to discuss with your doctor.

Good luck.

sueismyname

When there are random checks, some abusers will not be detected and some non-abusers will be checked. That is just the nature of random checks. They are not perfect at stopping pill abuse but they are better than no checks at all.

I suppose it is arguable whether you did anything wrong or not. You lost track of 16 pills and that shows, at a minimum, that you were a bit careless with your prescription pills. These pills could have fallen into the wrong hands and sold for profit or, probably worse, consumed by someone else, causing harm to that person.

Again, it is important to keep your extra pills in their original containers to use as directed only.

I agree with Zigner that, IF the Oxycodone is not relieving your pain as it should, this is something to discuss with your doctor.

Good luck.
Im very careful that I keep my pills to myself. Only I have them. Even whenever I go out of my locked apartment I "hide" them. I do a great job of protecting whats most important and my pills were a must to hide. Something I'll always do. Oxys 1-2 was good enough. Now I can only get ty 3's and don't work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">