• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sleep study

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

diver999

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

I went to a clinic to have a sleep study done on Sep 8, 2016. I paid $459 up front for this study. Half way through the study I told the attendant that I didn't think I was sleeping and she assured me that I had been. It was a little surprising to me but I trusted her since she was looking at the equipment. In the morning she told me that she wasn't allowed to give the results but that my doctor should receive them in about two weeks.

Well two weeks turned into six. I was incredibly frustrated at that point especially since the only reason we got the results at that point was because I had my doctor follow up with the clinic. Who knows how long it would've taken them. Anyway the results were that I had only slept 29 minutes the whole night and that wasn't long enough to conclude anything. I was through the roof at this point. My doctor went back to them and then let me know that if I wanted to do it again I would have to pay for another night. Of course I wouldn't pay them for anything.

I submitted a complaint to the BBB about them. They did respond to that naturally defending themselves. During that time I received a bill from them for almost the same amount I paid up front but the bill had no indication that I had paid anything. When I mentioned that in the BBB complaint their response was to submit proof that I had paid it.

So at this point I want to get my money back from them. Here are my questions:

1. What kind of attorney handles this sort of thing?
2. What are my chances of getting anything back for this? I personally believe it's on them when the attendant assured me I was sleeping but I of course don't have proof of that so it's my word against theirs.
3. If I do have a good chance of getting the money back is going through an attorney going to cost more than what I get back from this company?

justalayman

Even if you left when you said you weren't sleeping you would have still had to pay

The results are what they are; you don't sleep well for some reason. I really don't know what you are looking for from them. It's not like they could have made you go to sleep.

Yes, an attorney would cost way more than anything you got back, even if you got it all back.

Your chances of getting anything back are zero.

FlyingRon

The BBB is a complete waste of time. It has no authority. All it does is list the complaints/responses. It presumes the company cares what is in their BBB file.

I agree with justalayman. Not sleeping is a common problem with sleep studies and you'd still owe them even if you didn't sleep much.

commentator

When I had a first sleep study, I was convinced I hadn't slept a wink, even told the attendant during one of our many conversations during the evening that I wasn't sleeping at all, though they had encouraged me to take a sleep medication. And when I got the results it appeared that I had slept just barely enough to have any readings. I went through the whole thing without feeling as if I'd slept a wink.

The results showed mild sleep apnea, and I was given a night's test with the apnea gear on, which incidentally was covered by my insurance. I once again didn't think I had slept much, but my rampaging impossible to slow heart rate had suddenly gone down by twenty BPM and I have used the C-pap machine ever since with wonderful results. I understand exactly what you mean about having trouble sleeping in the study situation, but still, you'd have owed the money even if you didn't sleep and couldn't use the results.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">