+ Reply to Thread

Statute of limitations on medical bill?

What is the name of your state? Ohio Is there a statute of limitations on a medical bill ? I just recieved a bill from a doctor I saw at least 2 years ago. Am I obligated to pay it being so long ago?

Quote Originally Posted by TimDuke View Post
    What is the name of your state? Ohio Is there a statute of limitations on a medical bill ? I just recieved a bill from a doctor I saw at least 2 years ago. Am I obligated to pay it being so long ago?
    Standard answer on expired SOL (statute of limitation) and/or validation and/or dispute letters. There are thousands of posts similar to yours on this forum so I have prepared a standard answer.

SOL (Statutes of limitation are DEFENSES to lawsuits; they do NOT provide a method to stop someone from suing you. This defense means when they sue you, you answer with the defense that it is barred by the SOL.)

[url]http://www.bcsalliance.com/y_debt_sol.html[/url]

[url]http://www.fair-debt-collection.com/Disputing_Collections/SoL-dispute-letter.html[/url]

Validation letter samples you can get at :
    [url]www.creditinfocenter.com[/url]
    and [url]www.creditboards.com[/url]

Make sure you ask for VALIDATION (and do not accept verification).

Disputes: You can write a letter of dispute to the three credit reporting agencies.

Go this website to find instructions and samples for how to dispute: [url]http://www.creditinfocenter.com/creditreports/[/url]

Sometimes errors are easy to remove and sometimes they stick like glue. It is inexpensive to try and not difficult.

I am NOT a creditor-debtor lawyer; stand by for further help.

I am NOT vouching for the accuracy of these websites!

Debt settlement:

[URL="http://forum.freeadvice.com/banking-credit-cards-18/debt-sttlement-please-help-newbie-293829.html"]Debt Sttlement PLEASE HELP !!!!! Newbie[/URL]

There are two rules for success:

(1) Never tell everything you know.
    SOL for debts vary by state but it's more then 2 years in most cases.

Have you been in Ohio since you incurred the bill?

There are two rules for success:

(1) Never tell everything you know.
    Yes I'm sill in Ohio And I know it's been a minimum of 2 years since I've seen this doctor but from previous replies it sounds like I'll have to pay it.

Yep - you'll need to pay it as you should since it is owed. The SOL in Ohio is 6 yrs. to 15 yrs. according to the type of debt.

That depends. Do you owe the money? Why did it take the doctor 2 years to bill you?

They say I owe them. It is rather strange it took them 2 years to finally send me a bill although I have moved twice since the time I saw that doctor but you would think if they wanted their money so bad they would have billed me at the time it occurred while I still lived at the previous address. It still sounds as if I'm gonna have to pay.

You say you saw the dr. & it finally took them 2 yrs. to bill you so from your post it sounds like you owe them. (You saw dr./dr. bills you) Therefore, yes, you need to pay what you owe.

Well it might matter if insurance was involved; if a contracted provider fails to bill insurance in a timely manner, they also forfeit the right to bill the patient for those charges. But I'm guessing that's not what happened here.

+ Reply to Thread