• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

suicide watch

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

imscared

My girlfriend recently lost her mom, was depressed, but not suicidal. 3 days after, her brother had her out on suicide watch on the hospital. How can I help rectify this? I'm not able to speak or see her.. How much is able to actually be done about this??

quincy

My girlfriend recently lost her mom, was depressed, but not suicidal. 3 days after, her brother had her out on suicide watch on the hospital. How can I help rectify this? I'm not able to speak or see her.. How much is able to actually be done about this??
What is the name of your state?

There is little you can do to help your girlfriend right now. Her family is taking care of her in the way they think best. You can help her when she is released from the hospital by being a good friend.

CdwJava

As was mentioned, what state is this?

Also, her brother cannot commit her to an involuntary hold - that must be done by law enforcement or a medical professional, and even then it is only for a short period of time.

As was mentioned about all you can do is be a good and supportive friend for her when she is able to reach out to you. Until then, this is a family matter that is best handled by professionals and her family.

OHRoadwarrior

Usually about the 3rd day, they must make a decision to hold and will hold for about 10, then release unless a serious problem exists.

CdwJava

Doctors don't make involuntary commitment decisions.
Well ... it may depend on the state. In my state, they do. Or, more appropriately, a mental health practitioner (which can also be a doctor). But, a doctor (a MD) can write the initial 5150 hold (72 hour detention), and this is not subject to judicial review at that time. After the 72 hours is up, if a doctor feels that further commitment is necessary, he or she may ASK the patient to become a voluntary commitment, or, they can extend the involuntary hold for up to 14 days. When this extension is put into effect, then there must be a probable cause hearing brought before a judge within 4 days. In my experience, the vast majority of these matters are upheld - I suspect because they are generally unopposed.

So, the simple answer is that a doctor CAN initiate and even extend the hold. The courts will have to approve of the involuntary hold if it extends beyond the initial 72 hour period.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">