• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

surgery gone wrong

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

msteema2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New jersey

Can someone please tell me if I have a case, In July 2009 at a surgical office I had a simple shoulder surgery resulting from a work injury.. I had weight lifters shoulder.. which means my clavicle and ac joint bones was rubbing together due to excessive lifting.. I had the surgery and then it all goes bad from there.. I ended up on a respirator machine with all types of tubes down my throat. No one can explain what happen till later i found out that i had pulmonary edema which means i was bascially drowning with out being under water. My PC told me that PE comes from one of 3 things: 1. pneumonia, which i didnt have being i was cleared the day before 2. CHF or congestive heart failure, i know i didnt have that and 3. fluid overload which means i was given to much fluid through the IV. my pc says It has to come from fluid overload. I spent almost 2 days on a resp. fully alert and very scared .. the doctors at the hopsital told me they was very afraid that if they take me off my thoart would close and i can die.. I was only taken off cause the tube was filling my stomach up with air and they had to adjust it.. some how it came out and i was breathing on my own. while in the hospital i was given heparin shots in my lower left abdomial area. for 4days. because they made me be bed ridden, after being in there for a week i was allowed to go home. exactly 11 days later i notice a very tender area in the same spot where i was getting my injections of heparin.. after 3 days what started as a small pimple grew to the size of a grapefruit. i was admitted back into the hospital and was told i had a mrsa infection. they even swabbed my nose and that was + too.. after being in the hospital for 11 days and another surgery to drain and removed infected tissue i was sent home on a pic line and told to self medicate myself through iv for 3 weeks..I was very drained and tired and very desperate to get well.. in september my pic line was removed and now i was to start therapy for the shoulder that i had surgery on... 3 sessions of therapy later I was told I have another infection and this time on the side of my face.. HORRIBLE.. i was giving another antibotic and sent back to the infection diease doc. the infection was clearing up and i was sent back to therapy .. october here we go again .. another infection same side of my face different area.. i was admitted to the hospital and given those iv antibotics again.. its now novemeber and so far now infection but now i am told i would always have this infections maybe for the rest of my life.. Can someone tell me do I have a case and if so how much would i get if i chose to sue.. I think i am entitled for some kind of pain and suffering

ecmst12

No diabetes or anything of that sort?

Normally, it would not be possible to get "fluid overload" from IV fluids because the body self-regulates - excess fluids are excreted. So that is why I am suspecting something is wrong with your excretory systems for that to not happen correctly.

I don't think it's related to the infections, either. MRSA is very hard to kill, and is a known risk of any surgery and any hospital stay. But it does sound like your immune system is compromised. That could be because you're still healing from the surgery, from the anemia, or something else. Have you had your iron checked? Other blood work done?

Last edited:

msteema2

nothing .. i was medically cleared for the surgery lest than 48 hours before .. ekg, blood drawn, xrays .. nothing came back as a concern

msteema2

after the 2nd infection i was tested for lupus, hiv and other immune comprising dieases but nothing.. I never had that problem before the surgery.. no infections, no problems urinating, no kidney problems and pneumonia, nothing ..

lealea1005

while in the hospital i was given heparin shots in my lower left abdomial area. for 4days.
Why were you getting the heparin injections?

Was the Surgeon aware you were taking the iron pills?

ETA: Did you have the surgery under general anesthesia? I ask because pulmonary edema can be an adverse reaction to the intubation necessary for general anesthesia.

Last edited:

msteema2

Why were you getting the heparin injections?

Was the Surgeon aware you were taking the iron pills?

ETA: Did you have the surgery under general anesthesia? I ask because pulmonary edema can be an adverse reaction to the intubation necessary for general anesthesia.

The heparin shots was given because they was scared to let me get out of bed. They were concerned with me possible getting blood clots

The surgeon was the DR that was treating me for my injury so he was fully aware of my medical history. And yes it was done under general anesthesia. I was :confused: not told that could be a reaction

lealea1005

The heparin shots was given because they was scared to let me get out of bed. They were concerned with me possible getting blood clots

The surgeon was the DR that was treating me for my injury so he was fully aware of my medical history. And yes it was done under general anesthesia. I was :confused: not told that could be a reaction

Laryngospasm can occur from the insertion or extubation of the endotracheal tube keeping your airway open while you are under anesthesia. It's not common, but it is a known cause of pulmonary edema post-op. It was probably addressed in the informed consent you signed before surgery.

Last edited:

ecmst12

And more importantly, it doesn't indicate anyone screwed anything up in your care, which I'm sure makes you feel a lot better (at least it should!). Bad luck is no fun, but personally I'd rather keep my trust in my doctors and be angry at the entity upstairs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">