• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Teeth chipped while being intubated.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rudy14

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

OHIO

On August 25th 2008 I was taken to the Emergency Department at a local hospital because I attempted suicide. I drank an awful lot of alcohol and took several different pills including some narcotics.

While in the ER I started to go in and out of conciousness and as a protective measure they intubated me to secure and protect my airway. After waking up in the ICU I noticed that they had chipped off part of one of my tooth and gouged one of the other. The one with the chip is on my top front tooth and the one that is gouged is my lower front tooth. AS a result now I am extremely sensitive to hot and cold foods and liquids and my teeth hurt.

I happen to work as an emt for the same health care network that the hospital belongs to , and I dont want to lose my job but I really want my teeth fixed and I feel that they should be held responsible for what they did.

I was talking to one of the nurses who, prior to being transferred to ICU took care of me that night. She told me that I should review my medical records and possibly consult an attorney.

I personally know since I am an EMT, that while intubating in the pre-hospital setting you are never ever to apply pressure to or use the teeth as a fulcrum. Furthermore I would think that in a difinitive care setting that the standards would be upheld even higher than in the field, and obviously this, or some similar action had taken place otherwise I wouldnt have wkoen up with chipped teeth.

I just want to get them fixed and feel they should pay for the dental repair but my Paramedic instructor advisesd me that I should try to also recover damages.

Any suggestions?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

enjay

I don't know the legal answer to your question, but I think I'd be overwhelmingly grateful that my life was saved.

lya

I know the answer and any EMT involved in intubation should know that the risk of chipping or breaking teeth is a significant risk of the procedure. The risk of damage to the teeth is increased when the patient is intoxicated or under the influence of another substance.

rudy14,
Pay for your own dental repair. You owe the person who saved your life, not the other way around.

ecmst12

Could not agree more. Someone didn't intubate you WRONG, it's just a "side effect". Your teeth were not, and should not have been, the treating physician's primary concern. Keeping you alive was the most important thing. I hope your psychiatrist can explain this to you better (yes that is a hint).

JustAPal00

Not to sound cold, but that was an intentional act. Insurance shouldn't have to cover your care. You're lucky you only have to pay for the teeth!

barry1817

good samaritan laws

OHIO

On August 25th 2008 I was taken to the Emergency Department at a local hospital because I attempted suicide. I drank an awful lot of alcohol and took several different pills including some narcotics.

While in the ER I started to go in and out of conciousness and as a protective measure they intubated me to secure and protect my airway. After waking up in the ICU I noticed that they had chipped off part of one of my tooth and gouged one of the other. The one with the chip is on my top front tooth and the one that is gouged is my lower front tooth. AS a result now I am extremely sensitive to hot and cold foods and liquids and my teeth hurt.

I happen to work as an emt for the same health care network that the hospital belongs to , and I dont want to lose my job but I really want my teeth fixed and I feel that they should be held responsible for what they did.

I was talking to one of the nurses who, prior to being transferred to ICU took care of me that night. She told me that I should review my medical records and possibly consult an attorney.

I personally know since I am an EMT, that while intubating in the pre-hospital setting you are never ever to apply pressure to or use the teeth as a fulcrum. Furthermore I would think that in a difinitive care setting that the standards would be upheld even higher than in the field, and obviously this, or some similar action had taken place otherwise I wouldnt have wkoen up with chipped teeth.

I just want to get them fixed and feel they should pay for the dental repair but my Paramedic instructor advisesd me that I should try to also recover damages.

Any suggestions?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I was just wondering how the Good Samaritan laws would be applied in a case where a person is on the brink of death, and suffered minor injuries by those attempting to save the person's life.

It is sort of like CPR. If one watches actual CPR there is the distinct possiblity that ribs may be fractured in the process. One doesn't get to sue for the fractured ribs.

wyett717

I was just wondering how the Good Samaritan laws would be applied in a case where a person is on the brink of death, and suffered minor injuries by those attempting to save the person's life.
That's exactly what Good Samaritan laws are for; they protect bystanders from liability when they choose to help a person who is ill or injured. The law is in place for people who are not obligated to help in an emergency situation, so it generally does not apply to medical professionals and emergency responders.

As a side note, OP has a LOT of nerve even considering this.

rudy14

Frist off I am grateful but they still made a mistake. I have never chipped anyones teeth during intubation. Not because I dont want to get sued or be liable for damages, or furthermore hurt anyone, but because I did it properly. Chipped teeth are not a side effect of intubatiion. It is an error resulting for improper intubation.

I only asked because I wanted to know. I am being pressured by peers and co workers. I was only looking for an answer or suggestion not ridicule or rude responses.

The question of how much nerve I as the OP had to even ask this isnt any different then the nerve that the responses of the rude and arrogant responders,

It is sort of like CPR. If one watches actual CPR there is the distinct possiblity that ribs may be fractured in the process. One doesn't get to sue for the fractured ribs.
Performing CPR correctly will usually result in broken ribs. The trade off is that the person can remain alive... and I think that trumps any broken/bruised/cracked/fractured areas of the body. I find it appalling that somebody attempted to commit suicide, had somebody save them, had a couple of teeth CHIPPED, and now wants to sue for dental work. It's simply disgusting.

Last edited:

Silverplum

Performing CPR correctly will usually result in broken ribs. The trade off is that the person can remain alive... and I think that trumps any broken/bruised/cracked/fractured areas of the body. I find it appalling that somebody attempted to commit suicide, had somebody save them, had a couple of teeth CHIPPED, and now wants to sue for dental work. It's simply disgusting.
I'd like to cosign this, please, and save myself some typing.

loveumms

I agree with the above posters that you should be grateful to have your life. Hopefully you have gotten the help that you need since suicide attempts are extremely serious.

First, you might have a difficult airway. In that case, it's very possilbe the person intubating you had problems. In that case, it's not unheard of to chip teeth during inubation.

There are other causes for a chipped tooth besides intubation. Did you have the ETT in for a prolonged time? Sometimes people bite down pretty hard on them and in the midst chip their own teeth. Maybe while you were trying to kill yourself you fell and chipped your own tooth. How could one prove that neither of these things happened?

Nativity

Kind of ironic how you go from "I want to die" to "Oh my god, My tooth!". The only thing you should be worried about here is your liver more than your teeth.

TS Mayes

Broken teeth while in ICU for Pneumonia

ntuba

I was taken to the Emergency Department at a local hospital because I had pneumonia.They intubated me to secure and protect my airway. i was in the ICU for 25 days and was placed into a Coma and they had intubated me during the 25 days also. After I woke up in the ICU I noticed that they had broke off most of three of my teeth and one of them was a tooth that had a root canal done in the past.. These are my front bottom teeth. AS a result now I am extremely sensitive to hot and cold foods and liquids and my teeth look really bad. I am disabled and do not have any dental insurance. I have been to the dentist and he has said that i would have to have root canals on all three teeth, ( because there is not enough tooth surface left) and then crowns. Around 4500.00 worth of dental work. I really want to get my teeth fixed and I feel that the hospital should be held responsible for what they did.

I did bring this to the attention of the hospital after I was discharged, and they said that this sometimes happens when you are placed into a coma and on a ventilator. They offered me nothing. Just a" Oh Well ".. Anyone have any advice or comments ? This happened almost 5 years ago and i don't know, but pretty sure that it is to late to file a claim agaist the hospital. I Live in North Carolina.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">