• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terrible Dentist

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

First off, I would like to say that I do not want to sue this dentist. Even though he is a terrible dentist, professional, and human being, I just don't want to pay him for his horrible service.

My kids have been seeing one certain dentist since they were two. Unfortunately, he was the only dentist in the area that my insurance covered. I have two children that have been to see this guy. My middle son had what they call a "sugar bug." The dentist drilled it and filled it twice, leaving a big cavity in the middle of the chewing surface. Both times the filling did not adhere to his tooth properly, from what the dentist told me. My son spit it out in his hand on the way out of the office once, and in the car the second time.

My insurance told me that I had to give the dentist a chance to rectify the situation before they would pay another dentist to do the job. So he had his chance today.

The Terrible Appointment:
My kids got their x-rays done and everything was going good. My middle son had his cleaning done in preparation to remove the tooth that the dentist had previously filled. My other son was in the exam room next door with his dad waiting on a cleaning. The next thing we know, the dentist was no where to be found. He completely vanished. I don't mean from the room, I mean from the building.

He had left my kids, one waiting for an emergency extraction for an infected tooth, and the other waiting for a cleaning, just sitting there. None of the hygienists were certified to clean teeth without a doctor in the building so that wasn't going to happen, and of course a hygienist cannot pull teeth. The office staff was even in shock.

The office manager called the Dentist on his cell phone. It turns out that he had abandoned my children sitting in the exam chairs because his wife had locked herself out of the house. The office manager asked if he would be coming right back, of course she assumed so. He told her that, no after he let his wife in the house, he was going to go to lunch.

I was of course furious by this point, as any parent would be. They told me that the next appointment they would have was going to be on the 14th of next month. I asked what I was supposed to do about my son's infected tooth. They called the dentist back and he told the hygienist to print out a prescription for him. The prescription reads Penicillin VK 250 mg. Take one tablet by mouth 4 times a day for 7 days.

That seemed like a lot of medication for a 40 pound kid, so I looked it up. I found a physicians reference online that said my son at 40 pounds should not exceed 133 mg every six hours, of this medication.

Before I left the office, I had the staff write down their version on paper of what just happened, you know, to cover my behind. They each willingly did, and signed it. I got a call about an hour ago from the dentist himself telling me that I did not pay my co-payment on the way out and I needed to bring it right away. He also said that since I refused to stay for the duration of the appointment, he would have to bill me for what was received instead of my insurance.

This entire appointment was insane.

I plan on filing a complaint with Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners, but what are my options until then so I don't ruin my credit with a delinquent bill?

Antigone*

First off, I would like to say that I do not want to sue this dentist. Even though he is a terrible dentist, professional, and human being, I just don't want to pay him for his horrible service.

My kids have been seeing one certain dentist since they were two. Unfortunately, he was the only dentist in the area that my insurance covered. I have two children that have been to see this guy. My middle son had what they call a "sugar bug." The dentist drilled it and filled it twice, leaving a big cavity in the middle of the chewing surface. Both times the filling did not adhere to his tooth properly, from what the dentist told me. My son spit it out in his hand on the way out of the office once, and in the car the second time.

My insurance told me that I had to give the dentist a chance to rectify the situation before they would pay another dentist to do the job. So he had his chance today.

My kids got their x-rays done and everything was going good. My middle son had his cleaning done in preparation to remove the tooth that the dentist had previously filled. My other son was in the exam room next door with his dad waiting on a cleaning. The next thing we know, the dentist was no where to be found. He completely vanished. I don't mean from the room, I mean from the building.

He had left my kids, one waiting for an emergency extraction for an infected tooth, and the other waiting for a cleaning, just sitting there. None of the hygienists were certified to clean teeth without a doctor in the building so that wasn't going to happen, and of course a hygienist cannot pull teeth. The office staff was even in shock.

The office manager called the Dentist on his cell phone. It turns out that he had abandoned my children sitting in the exam chairs because his wife had locked herself out of the house. The office manager asked if he would be coming right back, of course she assumed so. He told her that, no after he let his wife in the house, he was going to go to lunch.

I was of course furious by this point, as any parent would be. They told me that the next appointment they would have was going to be on the 14th of next month. I asked what I was supposed to do about my son's infected tooth. They called the dentist back and he told the hygienist to print out a prescription for him. The prescription reads Penicillin VK 250 mg. Take one tablet by mouth 4 times a day for 7 days.

That seemed like a lot of medication for a 40 pound kid, so I looked it up. I found a physicians reference online that said my son at 40 pounds should not exceed 133 mg every six hours, of this medication.

Before I left the office, I had the staff write down their version on paper of what just happened, you know, to cover my behind. They each willingly did, and signed it. I got a call about an hour ago from the dentist himself telling me that I did not pay my co-payment on the way out and I needed to bring it right away. He also said that since I refused to stay for the duration of the appointment, he would have to bill me for what was received instead of my insurance.

I plan on filing a complaint with Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners, but what are my options until then so I don't ruin my credit with a delinquent bill?
Whooo...we're lucky you don't want to sue, now we don't have to read this very long posting.:cool:

Did you advise him you don't let your kids stay out overnight? Especially in an empty dentists office!!!:eek:
I explained to him why I walked out as nice as I could. I advised him that I found another dentist and I thanked him for the time he spent. I told him that I would pay for the x-rays, but I needed them sent to the new dentist. He freaked.

Antigone*

So in this forum you are called money hungry and sue happy if you want to sue, but you are disregarded when you don't want to sue. That's nice.
You obviously don't believe you have a legal claim, so if you don't then what do you want from us?

You have no damages, so there is nothing legally you can recover.

You obviously don't believe you have a legal claim, so if you don't then what do you want from us?

You have no damages, so there is nothing legally you can recover.
I do not wish to recover anything. I wish to remain clear of being billed by this dentist for services he did not render. He said he is billing me for the extraction and the cleaning that my children did not get.

Antigone*

I do not wish to recover anything. I wish to remain clear of being billed by this dentist for services he did not render. He said he is billing me for the extraction and the cleaning that my children did not get.
You still have not been damaged and until you have actual financial damages, the only thing you can do is complain very loudly. As a parent I sure as heck would. The whole world would know what this maniac did to my kids.

LdiJ

File that complaint, ASAP, because quite frankly that was as unprofessional as I have seen in a long time. Contact your insurance company immediately and demand permission to see another dentist. You are not going to ruin your credit with one delinquent dentist bill and its not going to be delinquent until at least 30 days have passed. What a complete and total jerk!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">