• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Therapist not licenced?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nanomug

California

My son has been seeing a therapist that is out of our insurance network. It took some time to get statements/bills to submit to the insurance company. Missing information on the bills/statement required by the insurance company included a tax id/ein/social security number. My son is 20.

The therapist now says that he isn't licensed in the state and if fearful that his license in another state would be affected. He is getting a Phd in this state. This is news to me as it was decided originally since he doesn't accept our insurance he would give us billing to submit. I asked questions nicely (several people reviewed the email) and got back a slamming email stating that he was thinking about giving us his social and after reading the email he will not do that. Not that I believe that given the number was requested over a month ago.

I just want to submit to the insurance company to get reimbursed which would make the sessions affordable. What options are available? Small claims? State licensing?

The runaround and slow response has dragged this out and prevented cost containment. Plus there is the licensing issue.

ecmst12

I think he needs to find a therapist who is licensed to practice in your state. Insurance will probably not cover someone who's not legally allowed to practice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">