• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there a way to reduce or eliminate charges on doc bill if I didn't receive care?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

leftinER

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

At the end of July I became very ill one night. I did not have insurance yet at the time and it was 11:30 at night. Basically my only option was the local ER. The whole experience was awful. The lady at the front desk first couldn't find the right documents to sign. Then she gave me the wrong forms. Then she gave me the correct form, but she put the wrong patients information on it. Instead of printing out another new one she put a sticker with my info over the other patients info on the last form I signed. All of this was done while I could barely stand up and was in tears from pain (I was extremely dehydrated and disoriented from excessive vomiting, etc). Then the front desk lady printed out the wrong name tag 3 times before she got the correct info on it. A nurse asked me some questions, took my vitals and all of that, then they took me to an actual room with a bed. They took some blood and then they set up an IV for me. The ER doctor came in for 3 minutes at the most and asked me a couple questions then left. (I never saw him again). Once the IV was in the nurse left and said she'd be back when the IV was empty and then she would collect a urine sample. My IV emptied and there was a loud alarm going off to tell me to turn off the IV....the nurses out at the nurses station had to have heard the sound but did not come into the room. I had to figure out how to turn it off because it was so loud. After about an hour and a half since the nurse started the IV she still had not returned. My boyfriend who was in the room with me went out to the nurses station to find someone to detach me from the IV so I could go make a urine sample (and because the IV was finished). The nurse came in and uhooked the IV, however, she left the needle with the hose sticking out in my arm. I told her my nurse said she'd be back to collect my urine sample and bring me an antibiotic. The nurse in the room said she'd be in soon then she turned off the lights except for one in my room and shut the door! About 30 minutes later an orderly came in with an antibiotic. I told him as well I needed my nurse because I need to give her a urine sample. He said she would be in soon. About 2 hours went by (my boyfriend and I both fell asleep during this waiting) and still no nurse had come back. We woke up and I saw how long it had been so I got up to look out of the little window in the door. I saw my nurse standing in the nurses station talking to the other women. She caught me looking at her so she came over and opened the door. She used the excuse she was waiting on me to tell her I had a urine sample ready (it was quite obvious she had simply just forgotten about me). All this time I still had the IV needle in my arm with a hose sticking out. She took the sample and left. Almost an hour later she came back and told me I had gastrointeritis (a type of stomach virus) and she handed me a paper with 3 prescriptions on it then they told me I could go. I got the hospital bill a couple weeks later and it was over $1400. For reasons untold I was given a discount which brought the charges down to around $500. This is still waaay more than I think I should pay, but I was understanding that I did not have insurance and they did the IV and the bloodwork, etc. Another few weeks went by and I received the doctor's bill which was over $1000. I was shocked because like I said I only saw an actual doctor for 3 minutes max. I called the number on the bill which was just a payment center. They couldn't and wouldn't do anything to help me. They did tell me that the state of GA has a list of diagnosis and every diagnosis has a price next to it. Hearing this was appauling obviously because now I know they don't look at me and my case as an individual one. I walked in the door with a condition as simple as a stomach virus and it already had a price tag on it. I feel like they didn't care that I was left in there for 5 hours when it could have taken only a couple. They definatly didn't care that the doctor only saw me for a few minutes and did nothing to treat me or care for me (the ER that night was dead by the way, very few other patients there, so I won't believe that he was that busy). I then called the hospital back and was refered to someone (I've forgotten her title there). She told me very rudely, next time maybe I shouldn't come to the ER. (Like I said I had no other options at that time of night) She says it costs money just to have the doctor lay eyes on me...but $1000? This is on top of the $500 I have to pay for all the tests and IV, etc. on my hospital bill. I said there is absolutly no way I can pay this or no reason anyone should have to pay this for only seeing a doctor for 3 minutes and the fact that what I had wasn't even a serious condition. She wouldn't help me. I dont know where to turn or how to get this bill changed. Theres no way I can pay this even on a payment plan the payments would have to be so minimal it would take me years and years to pay it off. But i feel the charges are ludacris. Any advice?

Antigone*

At the end of July I became very ill one night. I did not have insurance yet at the time and it was 11:30 at night. Basically my only option was the local ER. The whole experience was awful. The lady at the front desk first couldn't find the right documents to sign. Then she gave me the wrong forms. Then she gave me the correct form, but she put the wrong patients information on it. Instead of printing out another new one she put a sticker with my info over the other patients info on the last form I signed. All of this was done while I could barely stand up and was in tears from pain (I was extremely dehydrated and disoriented from excessive vomiting, etc). Then the front desk lady printed out the wrong name tag 3 times before she got the correct info on it. A nurse asked me some questions, took my vitals and all of that, then they took me to an actual room with a bed. They took some blood and then they set up an IV for me. The ER doctor came in for 3 minutes at the most and asked me a couple questions then left. (I never saw him again). Once the IV was in the nurse left and said she'd be back when the IV was empty and then she would collect a urine sample. My IV emptied and there was a loud alarm going off to tell me to turn off the IV....the nurses out at the nurses station had to have heard the sound but did not come into the room. I had to figure out how to turn it off because it was so loud. After about an hour and a half since the nurse started the IV she still had not returned. My boyfriend who was in the room with me went out to the nurses station to find someone to detach me from the IV so I could go make a urine sample (and because the IV was finished). The nurse came in and uhooked the IV, however, she left the needle with the hose sticking out in my arm. I told her my nurse said she'd be back to collect my urine sample and bring me an antibiotic. The nurse in the room said she'd be in soon then she turned off the lights except for one in my room and shut the door! About 30 minutes later an orderly came in with an antibiotic. I told him as well I needed my nurse because I need to give her a urine sample. He said she would be in soon. About 2 hours went by (my boyfriend and I both fell asleep during this waiting) and still no nurse had come back. We woke up and I saw how long it had been so I got up to look out of the little window in the door. I saw my nurse standing in the nurses station talking to the other women. She caught me looking at her so she came over and opened the door. She used the excuse she was waiting on me to tell her I had a urine sample ready (it was quite obvious she had simply just forgotten about me). All this time I still had the IV needle in my arm with a hose sticking out. She took the sample and left. Almost an hour later she came back and told me I had gastrointeritis (a type of stomach virus) and she handed me a paper with 3 prescriptions on it then they told me I could go. I got the hospital bill a couple weeks later and it was over $1400. For reasons untold I was given a discount which brought the charges down to around $500. This is still waaay more than I think I should pay, but I was understanding that I did not have insurance and they did the IV and the bloodwork, etc. Another few weeks went by and I received the doctor's bill which was over $1000. I was shocked because like I said I only saw an actual doctor for 3 minutes max. I called the number on the bill which was just a payment center. They couldn't and wouldn't do anything to help me. They did tell me that the state of GA has a list of diagnosis and every diagnosis has a price next to it. Hearing this was appauling obviously because now I know they don't look at me and my case as an individual one. I walked in the door with a condition as simple as a stomach virus and it already had a price tag on it. I feel like they didn't care that I was left in there for 5 hours when it could have taken only a couple. They definatly didn't care that the doctor only saw me for a few minutes and did nothing to treat me or care for me (the ER that night was dead by the way, very few other patients there, so I won't believe that he was that busy). I then called the hospital back and was refered to someone (I've forgotten her title there). She told me very rudely, next time maybe I shouldn't come to the ER. (Like I said I had no other options at that time of night) She says it costs money just to have the doctor lay eyes on me...but $1000? This is on top of the $500 I have to pay for all the tests and IV, etc. on my hospital bill. I said there is absolutly no way I can pay this or no reason anyone should have to pay this for only seeing a doctor for 3 minutes and the fact that what I had wasn't even a serious condition. She wouldn't help me. I dont know where to turn or how to get this bill changed. Theres no way I can pay this even on a payment plan the payments would have to be so minimal it would take me years and years to pay it off. But i feel the charges are ludacris. Any advice?

My advice to you is to pay your bill.

OHRoadwarrior

You did receive care. You are not just paying for the 3 minutes you talked to the doctor. You are paying for all the associated doctors services, diagnosis, treatment and availability overhead. If your income is actually that low, you should go to the hospital and inquire if there are any special assistance programs you might qualify for. Bring proof of income and household size.

CSO286

At the end of July I became very ill one night. I did not have insurance yet at the time and it was 11:30 at night. Basically my only option was the local ER. The whole experience was awful.
<snip>
I got the hospital bill a couple weeks later and it was over $1400. For reasons untold I was given a discount which brought the charges down to around $500. This is still waaay more than I think I should pay, but I was understanding that I did not have insurance and they did the IV and the bloodwork, etc.
Probably discounted givein your indigent/uninsured status.

Another few weeks went by and I received the doctor's bill which was over $1000. I was shocked because like I said I only saw an actual doctor for 3 minutes max. I called the number on the bill which was just a payment center. They couldn't and wouldn't do anything to help me. They did tell me that the state of GA has a list of diagnosis and every diagnosis has a price next to it. Hearing this was appauling obviously because now I know they don't look at me and my case as an individual one. I walked in the door with a condition as simple as a stomach virus and it already had a price tag on it. I feel like they didn't care that I was left in there for 5 hours when it could have taken only a couple. They definatly didn't care that the doctor only saw me for a few minutes and did nothing to treat me or care for me (the ER that night was dead by the way, very few other patients there, so I won't believe that he was that busy). I then called the hospital back and was refered to someone (I've forgotten her title there). She told me very rudely, next time maybe I shouldn't come to the ER. (Like I said I had no other options at that time of night) She says it costs money just to have the doctor lay eyes on me...but $1000? This is on top of the $500 I have to pay for all the tests and IV, etc. on my hospital bill. I said there is absolutly no way I can pay this or no reason anyone should have to pay this for only seeing a doctor for 3 minutes and the fact that what I had wasn't even a serious condition. She wouldn't help me. I dont know where to turn or how to get this bill changed. Theres no way I can pay this even on a payment plan the payments would have to be so minimal it would take me years and years to pay it off. But i feel the charges are ludacris. Any advice?

Do you realize that for the most part it costs right around $1000 just to walk into an ER?

Other options: Stay home and be sick. Self medicate. Visit an urgent care center. You also could have gone in earlier in the day/evening to a clinic/urgent care center.

Payment options: $100 per month pays it off in ten months. $50 per month pays it off in 20 months. $75 per month will do it in 15 months. Many people do this on a regular basis.

Alternatively, do nothing, Wait until the doctor sends it to collections, then pay it through wage garnishment along with court costs and fees for the jusgment they will win.

leftinER

You did receive care. You are not just paying for the 3 minutes you talked to the doctor. You are paying for all the associated doctors services, diagnosis, treatment and availability overhead. If your income is actually that low, you should go to the hospital and inquire if there are any special assistance programs you might qualify for. Bring proof of income and household size.
I'm paying for the nurses services, treatment, tests, etc on the hospital bill. It's totally separate. There were no associated doctors just nurses that belonged to the hospital which i'm already paying. This $1000 charge on the doctor's bill is apparently a pre determined price just for having a stomach virus, which is absurd. And yes I do realize it costs $1000 just to walk into the ER...the charge for all of that was on the SEPARATE hospital bill. I wasn't sick earlier in the day...it came on suddenly and I was throwing up every 20 minutes or less for about two hours along with other symptoms that would not stop. I tried pepto bismol, kaopectate, and several other "self medicating" options and nothing relieved it. I was going to wait it out and suffer through it until I started having stabbing stomach pains that hurt so bad I couldn't hardly walk. The intense sudden stomach pain was the only reason I went to the ER. I'm not dumb enough to go to the ER uninsured unless I thought it was absoulutly necessary. There are no 24hr urgent cares where I live.

Antigone*

I'm paying for the nurses services, treatment, tests, etc on the hospital bill. It's totally separate. There were no associated doctors just nurses that belonged to the hospital which i'm already paying. This $1000 charge on the doctor's bill is apparently a pre determined price just for having a stomach virus, which is absurd. And yes I do realize it costs $1000 just to walk into the ER...the charge for all of that was on the SEPARATE hospital bill. I wasn't sick earlier in the day...it came on suddenly and I was throwing up every 20 minutes or less for about two hours along with other symptoms that would not stop. I tried pepto bismol, kaopectate, and several other "self medicating" options and nothing relieved it. I was going to wait it out and suffer through it until I started having stabbing stomach pains that hurt so bad I couldn't hardly walk. The intense sudden stomach pain was the only reason I went to the ER. I'm not dumb enough to go to the ER uninsured unless I thought it was absoulutly necessary. There are no 24hr urgent cares where I live.

Pay your bill. Heck I may feel it is ridiculous to pay $2,500 per class for my Masters program but that is the going rate and if I want my degree, I will pay. You wanted to stop tossing your cookies and you went to the ER.

ecmst12

Any time you are seen in a hospital, whether it's in the ER or anywhere else, or even just a diagnostic test, there will always be (at least) 2 separate bills. One from the hospital, for the use of the building, supplies, equipment, nursing, medications (this is a separate charge but on the hospital's bill), etc. That's known as the facility charge. The other is from any doctor that you saw, for the doctor's time and expertise in evaluating your condition, that is known as the professional charge. Just because you feel like the doctor was only in the room with you for a few minutes does not mean that is all the time he spent on your case. He would have been reviewing the nurse's notes, your test results, your condition as it progressed, making professional judgements, writing your prescriptions and discharge instructions. Now, if you call the billing office for the doctor, they may be willing to reduce the charges just as the hospital did. But you will get much further by asking NICELY, since they are not obligated to give you any discount at all. You can ask about applying for financial assistance as well.

Other things you should know: Any time you are in the hospital for just about any reason, especially in the ER, they are going to want to keep an IV line in you, even if it's just capped off and nothing is going into it. If your condition were to suddenly worsen, they would want to be able to get medication into you as quickly as possible. That's why the line was left in after the IV was done running.

When your IV was done and beeping, did you press your call button to summon the nurse? That's usually the best way to get ahold of a nurse, not just assume that they can hear the beeping.

Don't assume that because it LOOKED like it was not busy in the ER that night, that the doctors and nurses did not have other patients whose care was more critical than yours. With your condition, your treatment was low priority compared to someone who was in a life-threatening situation.

Medical bills are NEVER done "on an individual basis". There are standard charges for every service, and every patient who receives that service get charged the same amount. You were seen by a doctor for a level (X) ER visit. You were charged for that service. The diagnosis isn't really relevent though it may be part of how the biller figures out what level visit you received.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">