• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tip to elderly abuse hotline in FL?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mconstant

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Hello,

I just had a question for the forum...

I called into the Florida anonymous tip line regarding a rumor I had heard about an assisted living facility that I used to work at.

I reported about a video I had heard about where an alzheimers patient was filmed crawling on the floor, he is blind as well. I know this video was made, I just never personally saw it.

I also reported about the supervisor possibly smoking marijuana.

It turns out that her drug test was negative and that there was no evidence of the video and no one was willing to step forward.

I did this in good faith because it made me feel sick to my stomach that they would film the poor man crawling on the floor.

My question is this, will I get in trouble since the state could not get evidence of the video?

Thanks!

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Hello,

I just had a question for the forum...

I called into the Florida anonymous tip line regarding a rumor I had heard about an assisted living facility that I used to work at.

I reported about a video I had heard about where an alzheimers patient was filmed crawling on the floor, he is blind as well. I know this video was made, I just never personally saw it.

I also reported about the supervisor possibly smoking marijuana.

It turns out that her drug test was negative and that there was no evidence of the video and no one was willing to step forward.

I did this in good faith because it made me feel sick to my stomach that they would film the poor man crawling on the floor.

My question is this, will I get in trouble since the state could not get evidence of the video?

Thanks!

You shouldn't get into any trouble for it, no - unless you're known for making false accusations and/or allegations of abuse without having evidence.

You really need to stop that. You actually make it more difficult for genuine abuse cases to be taken seriously - you realize that, yes?

Mconstant

This was my first time ever calling into a tip line regarding abuse, or anything for that matter. I did call in good faith and it makes me upset that no one there was willing to step up regarding the video.

Proserpina

This was my first time ever calling into a tip line regarding abuse, or anything for that matter. I did call in good faith and it makes me upset that no one there was willing to step up regarding the video.

Why? You don't "know" anything. You heard a rumor and called a hotline. You don't know that any video was made at all - you've already clearly stated you have never seen such a video. So how do you know it actually exists? Someone told you?

And you reported someone for smoking pot based upon...another rumor? And she tested clean?

And you're an EX employee?

Log out, log back in, and re-read your own thread as if you were someone other than yourself. Then post back.

Mconstant

My GF works there and told me about it. Several other people there spoke about it as well. I don't regret calling because the residents there are good people and if they are treated poorly, I felt morally and ethically obligated to call.

Proserpina

My GF works there and told me about it. Several other people there spoke about it as well. I don't regret calling because the residents there are good people and if they are treated poorly, I felt morally and ethically obligated to call.

And your GF knows about this video how? She wouldn't come forward and name the perpetrators or the patient?

She didn't see it either, did she?

Mconstant

She saw it but is unwilling to come forward. She doesn't know that I called in to the abuse hotline. I asked her about it because she told
Me state called her about it and she said she doesn't want to come forward about it because she doesn't want to be involved. The caseworker told me that a lot of people don't like getting involved.

Proserpina

She saw it but is unwilling to come forward. She doesn't know that I called in to the abuse hotline. I asked her about it because she told
Me state called her about it and she said she doesn't want to come forward about it because she doesn't want to be involved. The caseworker told me that a lot of people don't like getting involved.

Then go and complain to your girlfriend. Your beef is with her. Nobody else. :cool:

For everyone else reading this: This is not how the state of FL handles such things. Someone, somewhere, isn't being quite honest.

paigepaige19

wow

Well, regardless of proserpina and his/her pretty rude replies, I think you did the right thing. My son is blind, but I am not biased, I do however have a dang heart. Anyone with a heart or a conscious for that matter would have done the same! However, I do agree that you should keep pushing your girlfriend to step up and do/say something, because if it is true, how can she live with herself knowing she didn't even try to help?!? They are in there for a reason, because they need help...NOT be made a fool of, or made a mockery of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">