• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Titanium Screws Breaking after fusion? legal advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jluker70

Tennessee-
My mother has back surgery about 3 years ago. about 8 or 9 months ago she started having really bad pain and total loss of feeling in her right leg. She went back to her dr several times because of the pain and they put her on different medications trying to help her. Well in late March or early April , the discovered that one of the titanium screws used in her fusion had broke and was laying on a nerve. They did another surgery on May 2nd and she has still been in alot of pain and the numbness has came back , but this time it is in her left leg. She went back to the dr on 9-8-11 and they have discovered that one of the screws that was put in during the surgery on 5-2-11 has broke. And they are once again suggesting surgery. Does she have any legal recourse against the manufacturer of the screws that are being used?
Thanks!

justalayman

Maybe.

Have her sit down with a medical malpractice attorney who can review the facts of the case and give you an opinion.

Hot Topic

Nowhere on this website does it say that all of the people responding to your post will be attorneys. Please keep that in mind when you include "legal advice" in your title.

frankenfoot

I am NOT a Lawyer

I'm not a lawyer, but I"ve had my spine fused AND I've had the arch of my foot fused. The screws in my foot have broken.

I sympathize with the pain, ESPECIALLY in the spine and I pray to God that mine never break. Oh man.

Anyway, I'd find a reputable Medical Malpractice Atty. One with grey hair if you know what I mean. Not just a personal injury person.

My uneducated guess, is you 'may' have a claim vs. the screw mfg. co; however, you may also - and my guess is this is a better chance - look at if the Dr. did something wrong or inserted them improperly.

20 year old rugby player - uh yeah, but your Mother breaking a screw TWO times? Something seems wrong.

Good luck with #1 resolving her pain and back issues, anything beyond that is just gravy.

ecmst12

I would wonder if mom followed the post-op instructions or if she was doing more activity than she was supposed to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">