• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Triamcinolone Side Effects

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Robert H Philli

What is the name of your state? OHIO

I'm a 65 year old male, retired engineer.

For the past 20 years I have suffered from a diagonsed with IBS or Neverous Stomach and undergone many test which came back negative. The last 10 years I have lived near Cleveland Ohio and treated by Kaiser HMO for the first 5 and the last 5 by Cleveland Clinic, both of which have computer systems so all doctors can see what meds your taking and what your treated for.

For my stomach Problems have been treated with Clidinium-Chlordiazepoxide Capsule 2.5-5 MG and Hyoscyamine Sulfate Tab Sublingual 0.125 MG. But my stomach problems continued causing me much pain ( cramps from Gas ) and embarrasment and a fear of eating out do to having a IBS attack. The problems I have had because of this have effected my whole life.

Also for the last 20 years I have been treated by the same doctors who treated my stomach problems for a rash or fungus on my rectal area, for which I was prescribed Triamcinolone. I always prescrided this for a rash on my legs the winter of 2007 by a CCF demotolagist .

On 6/11/08 after coming home at 1:30 PM from my part time job I applied some Triamcinolone to my legs as they were very dry. I ATE NOTHING. I then walked my dogs and with in 10 minutes I came down with severe gas pains and diarea. Since I knew it wasn't food, I investigated Triamcinolone and found this link which list Gas & Bloating as a rare side effect.

http://www.drugs.com/triamcinolone.html

I am flabergasted that the same doctors who were treating me for IBS were really causing my IBS by prescribing this medicine " triamcinolone " I wouldn't take the triamcinolone cream all the time as my skin condition would get better for months on end, and so would my IBS, I never dreamed that this cream could cause GI problems.

BTW the paper work that comes with the tube of triamcinolone says nothing about gas or bloating as a side effect.

Needless to say I have stopped triamcinolone cream and my stomach is 1000% better even though its only been 6 days and I need more time to prove this

Do I have any recourse to collect monetary damages from these so called doctors or the people who make triamcinolone and not properly label the warnings.

Thanks
Bob

seniorjudge

Q: Do I have any recourse to collect monetary damages from these so called doctors or the people who make triamcinolone and not properly label the warnings?

A: Since you failed to indicate any serious and permanent physical damages, no.

amandarez

triamcinolone - difference between topical and systemic

The side effects (warnings) that you report about triamcinolone are only valid with systemic doses - if you were taking the steroid by mouth. Side effects for oral steroids are listed on the pharmacy handout - but you weren't taking it orally.

The cream (topical dose) is only absorbed by your skin and therefore would have no effects beyond the skin.

You do not have a case.

lya

The side effects (warnings) that you report about triamcinolone are only valid with systemic doses - if you were taking the steroid by mouth. Side effects for oral steroids are listed on the pharmacy handout - but you weren't taking it orally.

The cream (topical dose) is only absorbed by your skin and therefore would have no effects beyond the skin.

You do not have a case.
You are mistaken in your statements. Topical medications do absorb through the skin and can be absorbed into the circulatory system.

The OP may have a valid claim against those who prescribed the medication.

I doubt there is a valid reason to complain about the manufacturers r/t the labeling information as the patient information (as presented online) clearly states bloating is a side effect and specifically states to inform your physician of any stomach ulcers, which inclues GI irritations such as IBS.

amandarez

Steroids

You are mistaken in your statements. Topical medications do absorb through the skin and can be absorbed into the circulatory system.

The OP may have a valid claim against those who prescribed the medication.

I doubt there is a valid reason to complain about the manufacturers r/t the labeling information as the patient information (as presented online) clearly states bloating is a side effect and specifically states to inform your physician of any stomach ulcers, which inclues GI irritations such as IBS.
Systemic effects from topical steroids are very rare and usually occur only under two conditions - A - very high dose, since the poster has not stated the dosage we cannot assume that it is anything higher than 0.1% and B - used chronically - which is not recommended even for chronic eczema. The website he listed just includes basic information on steroids in general and not a prescribing reference.

I see two other problems with the poster's case...
the first is that he would have to prove a connection between the two - IBS and a chronic off and on rash (like eczema) can both have an auto-immune component - a flare-up of both would be common. He would have to prove that the steroid caused the IBS and was inproperly prescribed - if the HMO is using an EMR - many of those have built in notifications if a med is countraindicated either relatively or absolutely.

The second problem is that we don't know how the poster is using the steroid cream - he reports that he put it on his legs for dry skin in 2008 - initially he was first Rx it in 2007. He might have been using it incorrectly and then yes, he definately put himself at risk for systemic effects

I would think the first thing would be to talk to the doctors treating him for the IBS before jumping to a medical malpractice attorney. If the explanations are unsatisfactory, then he should go to the attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">