+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
  1. #1
    contin4u is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3

    unauthorized writing of narcotic prescription.

    undefinedWhat is the name of your state?
    North Dakota

    I am a patient in a cronic pain clinic. A nurse practioner or physician assistant knowing wrote a prescription for oxycontin for me and after telling me she was not allowed to do so. When I sent it in to be filled by the manufacturer, it was denied for this very reason. did this person commit a crime when she knowingly wrote a prescription she is not allowed to? also, do to the fact the script was denied, I was forced to endure 12 days without my medication and experience serious withdrawl symptoms along with no pain control. How should I respond to this person ans/or her superiors?

    Thank You.
  2. #2
    ellencee is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    4,334
    contin4u
    Without knowing the scope of practice for the nurse practitioner or physician's assistant, I can't answer your question as to whether or not the professional has authorization to write such a prescription or apply it to whether or not a law was broken.

    You don't know if the professional was a nurse practitioner or a physician's assistant, so reporting the professional the appropriate licensing board isn't an option.

    Why don't you speak with your physician at the pain center and tell them what happened...all of it...including your attempts to obtain pain medication illegally and with full knowledge that you were submitting an improper prescription.

    EC
    Last edited by ellencee; 04-27-2005 at 02:12 PM.
  3. #3
    contin4u is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3

    unauthorized writing of narcotic prescription 2

    In response to your reply, Ellence, I believe you have misunderstood me, I was not aware of this action, however I have suffered the consequences of her actions. I was not aware that she wrote the script, she wrote it in place of the doctor ,without telling me, then mailed it to the company to be filled and then mailed to me. What I want to know is what is the legal and or ethical ramifications of her actions? This is done on a monthly basis by my Doctor, I am not yet sure he knows. I have done nothing wrong nor did I try to obtain meds illegaly. I am the victim of her actions as verified by the manufacturer, Please reconsider your reply. I hope I have been more clear. Can a PA or a NP write a prescription for Oxycontin?????
  4. #4
    contin4u is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3

    Exclamation Unauthorized Writing of Narcotic Prescription 3

    :
    confused:

    Ellence, The professional in question is a Nurse Practitoner. I see her monthly. She told me in the past she was not allowed to write for Oxycontin.Normally after her consultation with me, she has my physician sign the script, and then places it into a mailer to the manufacturer. However, this past month , rather than having the DR. sign ,she did herself with full knowledge that she was in violation. I was not aware of her actions until the time for my meds ti arrive by mail had come and gone and I called the manufacturer to look into why the meds had not arrived. I was then informed of the problem. The Manufacturer had also contacted the professional in question to notify her, however nobody informed me! As a result a new script had to be written and mailed off, filled ,and then sent to me. This process took12 days, leaving me in quite a prediament. When I called the clinic ti inquire, I was told"you are responsible for your prescriptions". I do not see touch or mail the script. How can I be responsible and then suffer the consequences of her actions, while unaware of them, with full trust in her that all is being done appropriately????????
  5. #5
    ellencee is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    4,334
    A nurse practioner or physician assistant knowing wrote a prescription for oxycontin for me and after telling me she was not allowed to do so....When I sent it in to be filled by the manufacturer, it was denied for this very reason.
    Your initial statements do not match your subsequent statements, which blows your complaint into smitherines which then take the shape of drug-seeking not for pain management but for recreation or addiction.

    To answer your question as to whether or not a nurse practioner can write prescriptions: yes; a nurse practioner can write prescriptions in his or her practice setting. The drug company or insurance company can refuse to fill the prescription if it is not signed by an MD; that has nothing to do with the scope of practice of the nurse practioner. The same goes for a physician's assistant.

    12 days without the medication was a good start in withdrawing from addicting medications. You should have stuck to it.

    EC
  6. #6
    rasbury is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    16
    Contin4u - I too am a new poster in this forum (just since yesterday) and one thing I noticed quickly was that ellencee is a discourteous person who seems to think everyone who comes here is a derelict looking for a get rich quick scheme, preferably thru malpractice. She doesn't seem to think people may actually believe they could really be a victim of malpractice, and that's why they come here--to get an opinion and/or advice, not to be insulted and treated like an idiot. She is obviously an unhappy person and her intentions are to hurt, not to help. We reap what we sow though.

    My husband, due to a very bad inoperable back condition, also takes oxycontin. It was prescribed to him by our family doctor several years ago. When it was first prescribed to him, we had no idea it was the abusers drug of choice, nor that it was so addictive. It does help him a great deal manage his pain.
    Recently, our insurance company has requested our prescriptions be mailed to a pharmacy of their choice, preferably quarterly. Our doctor refuses to write oxycontin on a qrtly basis, which is his perogative, so it needs to be mailed in monthly.
    Just last week, my husband's prescription was nearly due and he called the pharmacy to confirm they had received the prescription. They said they hadn't. He had called the doctors office the week before and requested the prescription be mailed, giving them plenty of time. (We live quite a way from our doctor's office, so he can't just jump in the car and run and pick up a prescription). Anyway, my husband started to panic. Rightly so, I feel. He didn't know he was being put on a dangerously addictive narcotic years ago, and he was frightened about running out of the medicine. But when he voiced his concerns to the nurse because he was afraid, since his prescription hadn't been received by the pharmacy, she said, "Well if you have withdrawals, go to the emergency room."

    Apparently there's nothing you can do in a situation like that except go to the e.r., and probably be treated like a drugee off the street. I do understand your concern and I think it's a legitimate one. Thankfully, the pharmacy did call late that day and told us they finally rec'd my husband's prescription, but he worries himself half to death every month.

    I too have been on narcotics for years because of chronic pain. I wanted a hip replacement so that I could get off the narcotics. As a matter of fact, my ortho-surgeon specifically noted that in my record. Our doctor at one time put me on the duragesic (morphine) patch. I had no idea what it was, only that it was supposed to help me. It made me so ill I ended up going to the e.r., and unfortunately, I was treated like a junkee. Screamed at even--"Why are you on this!!!" Duh...because it was prescribed to me by a physician.

    If you're in pain, your expected to go to a physician for help, or live with it and keep your mouth shut. If you get the needed medicine, you're treated horribly for taking it.
  7. #7
    ellencee is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    4,334
    forum.freeadvice.com dictionary/thesaurus: discourteous, rude, ignorant, moron: volunteer expert contributor who does not give the answer sought by the orginial poster.

    rasbury: someone who wishes to financially harm innocent medical professionals for gain of personal wealth; self-righteous condemner of persons on Medicaid who dare to reproduce on her taxpayer dollar--oh wait, bigot must be equal to rasbury.

    bigot: rasbury

    EC
  8. #8
    rasbury is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by ellencee
    forum.freeadvice.com dictionary/thesaurus: discourteous, rude, ignorant, moron: volunteer expert contributor who does not give the answer sought by the orginial poster.

    rasbury: someone who wishes to financially harm innocent medical professionals for gain of personal wealth; self-righteous condemner of persons on Medicaid who dare to reproduce on her taxpayer dollar--oh wait, bigot must be equal to rasbury.
    EC
    lololol. woohoo. How witty of you, ec, you rude, discourteous, moron. You forgot disrespectful.

    I'm out to harm no one innocent. I came here sincerely looking for advice, just as the poster of this thread did, and you obviously take pride in your oh so advanced, medically knowledgeable, attacks, because we don't possess the same "nursin' learnin' you got". You seem to assume you know the entire story from a single initial post, then when you get additional info, instead of reassessing, you get angry that your first post wasn't noted and obeyed. You actually get offended that someone questions your self-rightous assumptions.

    As far as my being bigoted toward losers who are too lazy to work to pay for procreating, your darn right I don't like it, so I guess I'm a bigot. I paid for what I could afford and didn't expect the taxpayers to pay for more I couldn't afford. I would have loved to have more children, but not if it meant forcing others to foot the bill. That's called responsibility.
    "Would you not work, then neither should you eat", NOT "Would you not work, just go sign up on welfare".

    I have been in about 7 or 8 forums in the past 5 years and there's always an ellencee. Someone who likes to think they run the show when really all they want to do is attack and put down others to make themself feel important. Good luck to you. You'll need it. Let's make a deal and ignore each other. k?
  9. #9
    rasbury is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    16

    Thumbs down

    Contin4u--I hope you get an answer to your question and find relief somehow for your chronic pain. I don't think either of us will find a professional answer here though, not with the one looking to attack because of her own ignorant assumptions. You'd think she'd be more willing to earnestly read and hear the problem as opposed to figuring out her next attack mode. Sorry excuse for a "senior" on this site, if you ask me.

    You were automatically labeled a drugseeker and I a frivolous lawsuit pursuer. Doesn't matter though. I know the truth of my situation, and I'm sure you do yours as well. I won't be back here. There seem to be a few who are sincerely happy to offer their advice, without self-rightous attacking, but "one bad apple can spoil the site."

    Good luck to you and God bless.
  10. #10
    panzertanker is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Subclavian insertion...
    Posts
    2,373
    Quote Originally Posted by contin4u
    undefinedWhat is the name of your state?
    North Dakota

    I am a patient in a cronic pain clinic. A nurse practioner or physician assistant knowing wrote a prescription for oxycontin for me and after telling me she was not allowed to do so. When I sent it in to be filled by the manufacturer, it was denied for this very reason. did this person commit a crime when she knowingly wrote a prescription she is not allowed to? also, do to the fact the script was denied, I was forced to endure 12 days without my medication and experience serious withdrawl symptoms along with no pain control. How should I respond to this person ans/or her superiors?

    Thank You.
    You must look up the advanced nurse practice act for your state to know if what she did was wrong.

    I have spent almost 3 years in pain management, so I do not state this lightly...
    1. Ellen is correct, your statements do not match. A warning bell for drug seeking behavior. You say you had no idea, then you did, first you mailed it, then she did, then you didn't know a darn thing, then you knew she did it....meandering.

    2. If your dr's office truly told you that "you are responsible for your rx" then I tend to believe your first version of events: you mailed off the rx. If you did not mail it off, then I would ask you: Is your doc Board certified in Pain Management? Is your NP certified in Pain Management? No true Pain Specialist would basically tell you to go jump in the lake without probable cause to, so I ask if they are truly legit. If they are, then you have left something out of your post so that this story benefits YOU. Pain Management specialists know the risks of providing narcotics, and believe me, I make sure to CYA all day long due to the high malpractice accusations in this Specialty.A legitimate pain specialist would never allow a pt to go into withdrawls for a legit or non legit reason. If there was an abuse issue or possible deviation issue, it is still the responsibility of your specialist to ensure no withdrawls. This means clonidine and Klonopin in lieu of opiates when you have "lost" or used too much of a prescription.
    Pain Mgmt pts are highly likely to sue when they do not get what they want, or when they are dismissed....

    3. In response to the dipstick other poster:
    It is YOUR responsibility to know your drugs and understand their use. I have a responsibility to educate you as to why you are taking it, but the burden of healthcare remains on YOU to be educated on your condition and proper care. This means you should be able to give a better explanation when asked "why are you on this" other than "b/c my doc prescribed it for me....DUH!"
    Ignorant statements like that show a person who is not taking responsibility fo rtheir own healthcare. You should be well versed in your problems as well as treatments and current medications. You are obviously computer literate enought to find this site so I reasonably believe that you should be able to look up your meds and dx to be better informed....

    4. I do agree with you; Pt's on chronic opiate therapy are treated differently when they present to the ER, be it the first time, or an abuser for the 100th time. Unfortunately, there is not much I can do to help you with that other than to state that my pt's are given a script with my name on it and pager number that state I am to be called whenever the pt presents to the ER. The pt and I have signed a narcotics agreement, that states that they are not allowed to seek pain mgmt without my approval. Effectively I am the only one who can approve a shot or extra pain meds throught the ER for them if needed. I took the responsibility of going to all 3 of my local hospitals and making them aware of my agreements and the need to call me when my pt presents. Any good Pain Specialist with a pain agreement would make the same known to their community hospital ER's too.
    I have noticed that even intelligent people ask assinine questions every now and again.
    Disclaimer: I know a few lawyers. None of them is named panzertanker.
  11. #11
    purple2 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    300
    Panzertaker is right on all points.
  12. #12
    panzertanker is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Subclavian insertion...
    Posts
    2,373
    Quote Originally Posted by purple2
    Panzertaker is right on all points.
    Thank you!
    I have noticed that even intelligent people ask assinine questions every now and again.
    Disclaimer: I know a few lawyers. None of them is named panzertanker.
  13. #13
    ENASNI is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Wait a sec... I will look outside.
    Posts
    6,249

    Uh oh

    Quote Originally Posted by purple2
    Panzertaker is right on all points.
    I concur... however be careful Todd... Veronica wears Stilettos...
  14. #14
    rmet4nzkx is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    17,787
    rasbury is only upset because she didn't read her informed consent before Surgery and is not happy with the results and the responses she gets here, all of which have been appropriate.

    I agree, OP sends up red flags for drug seeking.
  15. #15
    ENASNI is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Wait a sec... I will look outside.
    Posts
    6,249

    oy

    Quote Originally Posted by rmet4nzkx
    rasbury is only upset because she didn't read her informed consent before Surgery and is not happy with the results and the responses she gets here, all of which have been appropriate.

    I agree, OP sends up red flags for drug seeking.

    And it ticks me off big time... in my profession I see big time pain and big time pains in the arse... The ones that need Rx's it but don't want to sadden me. They want to use something that is the other alternative, but it is not deemed "medically necessary" because they are used "cosmetically or otherwise" (yes I am talking botox here) so they are catergorized as drug seeking because others get hooked on the stuff that is used for pain... and abuse it.
    But if you see a patient in a darkend room in a fetal position with a emesis tray at their hand... you understand pain.

    Then you see the others who go about their days and yet go to different doctors and specialists and try to get their fix OY.

    It really ruins it for the truly ill ones.

    Who knows which one you are... but if you are the false... shame on you

Similar Threads

  1. Posession of a Narcotic
    By Cartman7432 in forum Drug Charges
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-16-2010, 08:41 AM
  2. Fired for allegedly trying to Divert a narcotic prescription
    By zaphoric in forum Hiring, Firing & Wrongful Termination
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-28-2009, 10:31 AM
  3. valid narcotic prescription refused and with held
    By anneash in forum Other Crimes Federal and State
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-28-2007, 05:11 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-24-2004, 12:04 AM
  5. Possesion of Narcotic
    By bmb in forum Drug Charges
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-01-2001, 10:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© 1995-2012 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.