• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uncertified Medical Assistants Teaching MA Externs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SueBee123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I am currently on an externship for Medical Assistant (Clinical). Recently learned that California law states that an MA must be certified by one of the approved certifying organizations in order to train other medical assistants. Since I won't have completed my MA course until all 160 hours of externship are satisfied, is the time I spend in my extern site, being trained by the MAs who work there....would that qualify the MAs who are training me at the site, as 'training MA's'? Do they need to be certified? They don't wear name badges stating their name/title, so I don't know if they are certified or not. I just learned all this today, so I haven't had a chance to ask them whether or not they are certified.

Thanks.

I'mTheFather

I am currently on an externship for Medical Assistant (Clinical). Recently learned that California law states that an MA must be certified by one of the approved certifying organizations in order to train other medical assistants. Since I won't have completed my MA course until all 160 hours of externship are satisfied, is the time I spend in my extern site, being trained by the MAs who work there....would that qualify the MAs who are training me at the site, as 'training MA's'? Do they need to be certified? They don't wear name badges stating their name/title, so I don't know if they are certified or not. I just learned all this today, so I haven't had a chance to ask them whether or not they are certified.

Thanks.
Sure sounds like they have to be certified.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Do you have reason to believe they are not certified? Is there some reason to believe that the entity you are training with would knowingly break the law?

HomeGuru

Thanks.
**A: what did your school tell you when you asked then the same question? Name and title on badges is not a way to confirm certification. Why not ask the instructors if they are certified or not.

SueBee123

I didn't ask the school or the people at the site because I just learned that fact moments before I posted it here. Isn't this the place to ask legal questions?

Last edited by a moderator:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">