• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Undissolved stitches

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dewster11

What is the name of your state? New York

Hi all,

Wasn't sure were to put this so I guess I will start here.

I gave birth to my daughter in Aug 03 via c-section. Everthing went well and I was sent home within 4 days. I noticed after about 3 weeks that my incision was draining blood and fluid and was still very much painful. I went back to the DR and she said to just clean it with peroxide. I did what she told me to do but it never really got better. Since then it has been draining off and on and swelling up. About 2 months ago I awoke in the morning to find one section of my insicion swollen to the size of a baseball. My DR not the OB did a culture on it which came back neg. She then repeated a second culture a week later that also came back neg. My DR finally ordered a CT Scan which also revealed nothing abnormal. My DR knew there was something going on so she referred me to a surgeon and in turn a laproscopy was done. He removed 2 undissolved stitches and since then my insicion feels fine and no swelling. My question is can I seek compensation from the suture maker for all my DR visits and the minor surgery I had or do you think it is something that just happens in some cases? The sutures I do believe were called Ethlicon. Thanks!

janedoe23

rmet4nzkx said:
What did your doctor and or Surgeon say about product liability for the stiches not dissolving?

Hello,

The only thing I was told by the Surgeon was that it happens often. When I had contacted the nurses line at the OB when my incision was swollen I told her that my DR thinks it could be a stitch and she told me that doesn't happen.

I have read up on the internet about a few more cases exactly like mine. Some were more severe then mine including a woman who had to have a section of her incision removed and then packed daily.

I guess now I just look at the whole situation and just consider it as one of those rare side effects you might experience when taking a prescription drug.

rmet4nzkx

janedoe23 said:
Hello,

The only thing I was told by the Surgeon was that it happens often. When I had contacted the nurses line at the OB when my incision was swollen I told her that my DR thinks it could be a stitch and she told me that doesn't happen.

I have read up on the internet about a few more cases exactly like mine. Some were more severe then mine including a woman who had to have a section of her incision removed and then packed daily.

I guess now I just look at the whole situation and just consider it as one of those rare side effects you might experience when taking a prescription drug.
Are you the person who originally posted this thread? You changed your Moniker?

The stiches are designed to dissolve, but as your surgeon indicated, sometimes they do not, so you could consider it as you would an adverse reaction and something to consider in future surgeries. There is a possibliity that the advice nurse and or her supervisors have some responsibility and you can check with the FDA re the product failure. You could consult a medmal attorney and have your records reviewed for possible litigation or claims, then you can make a decision as how to move forward. Be sure this was reported to the FDA.

Now that you have discovered that it is not unheard of and others even fared worse than you and the problem is resolved, perhaps you will have some peace of mind. From what you described your doctor did all the appropriate tests to rule out infections. I hope you and baby are doing well.

dewster11

rmet4nzkx said:
Are you the person who originally posted this thread? You changed your Moniker?

The stiches are designed to dissolve, but as your surgeon indicated, sometimes they do not, so you could consider it as you would an adverse reaction and something to consider in future surgeries. There is a possibliity that the advice nurse and or her supervisors have some responsibility and you can check with the FDA re the product failure. You could consult a medmal attorney and have your records reviewed for possible litigation or claims, then you can make a decision as how to move forward. Be sure this was reported to the FDA.

Now that you have discovered that it is not unheard of and others even fared worse than you and the problem is resolved, perhaps you will have some peace of mind. From what you described your doctor did all the appropriate tests to rule out infections. I hope you and baby are doing well.
Whoaaa that is a bit weird. No my user name was Dewster11. I am here in New York and not in Indiana as that other poster is.

Yes, I am satisfied in the way my DR handled it and I am happy it did not get to the point where I could have been in this other ladies shoes.

Far as baby goes she is very healthy and thats all that matters.

Thanks for setting me straight in this matter.

rmet4nzkx

dewster11 said:
Whoaaa that is a bit weird. No my user name was Dewster11. I am here in New York and not in Indiana as that other poster is.

Yes, I am satisfied in the way my DR handled it and I am happy it did not get to the point where I could have been in this other ladies shoes.

Far as baby goes she is very healthy and thats all that matters.

Thanks for setting me straight in this matter.
Do, do, do, do......
Do, do, do, do, you are entering the twilight zone
WOW! Two for the price of one. Well I'm glad that everyting worked out ok, sometimes things take time or rule out other possibilities, sometimes years. The good news was that you didn't have a resistant infection and that surgery respoved the problem. I'm glad you and your child are fine, just in time for the terrible two's.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">