• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

VA Mismanagement of Meds

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Skip Ellis

Florida - Family doctor prescribed Xanax last week in Dec '14 - took as directed (about 6 wks) . In January, VA psychiatrist(knowing about the Xanax) prescribed and provided Prozac. I asked: "what about the Xanax" and the only answer I got was : "stop the Xanax before starting the Prozac - with no instructions for tapering/cutting or safely stopping Xanax. Stopped Xanax for about 4 or 5 days and ended up in Va hosp ER with massive panic/anxiety attack. Finally got to see VA psychiatrist about 3 weeks later - I was taking Xanax, Prozac and Antivan (all prescribed and not misused). He took it all away - wanted to know where I got the Prozac (remember, he sent it to me?). Put me on 15mg/day Valium to replace Xanax and Antivan - that was about March 9th. Tapered now down to 7.5 mg daily Valium - semi functional but miserable form side effects and can't do much.

Question: who was liable (responsible) for safely taking me off the Xanax before starting the Prozac? I maintain that it was the VA Dr's responsibility because he wanted to replace a current drug I had been prescribed with something else. (for all he knew the original prescribing MD was dead or retired - but he never asked. I also don't think he would have contacted family Dr. to get me off the Xanax so he could start the Prozac) Now I'm in the midst of tapering off the Valium (miserable) that'll probably take the better part of a year to complete.

I know that Title 38 USC 1151 claim does not apply because it's not a permanent condition but I think there's another (form 95?) for just suing the VA and getting a settlement.

Thanks!!

Ladyback1

Florida - Family doctor prescribed Xanax last week in Dec '14 - took as directed (about 6 wks) . In January, VA psychiatrist(knowing about the Xanax) prescribed and provided Prozac. I asked: "what about the Xanax" and the only answer I got was : "stop the Xanax before starting the Prozac - with no instructions for tapering/cutting or safely stopping Xanax. Stopped Xanax for about 4 or 5 days and ended up in Va hosp ER with massive panic/anxiety attack. Finally got to see VA psychiatrist about 3 weeks later - I was taking Xanax, Prozac and Antivan (all prescribed and not misused). He took it all away - wanted to know where I got the Prozac (remember, he sent it to me?). Put me on 15mg/day Valium to replace Xanax and Antivan - that was about March 9th. Tapered now down to 7.5 mg daily Valium - semi functional but miserable form side effects and can't do much.

Question: who was liable (responsible) for safely taking me off the Xanax before starting the Prozac? I maintain that it was the VA Dr's responsibility because he wanted to replace a current drug I had been prescribed with something else. (for all he knew the original prescribing MD was dead or retired - but he never asked. I also don't think he would have contacted family Dr. to get me off the Xanax so he could start the Prozac) Now I'm in the midst of tapering off the Valium (miserable) that'll probably take the better part of a year to complete.

I know that Title 38 USC 1151 claim does not apply because it's not a permanent condition but I think there's another (form 95?) for just suing the VA and getting a settlement.

Thanks!!
Did you ask any questions of how to stop the Prozac?

Skip Ellis

I never started the Prozac until they started me on it the night of the meltdown. When the VA psych took me off it on March 9, he said just quit taking it and it'll go away because of the long half life - had no trouble going off the Prozac at all.

Skip Ellis

My main complaint is them not telling me how to get off the Xanax - even after I asked. If it hadn't been for me going off it cold turkey (didn't know any better), I wouldn't have crashed in the first place. He replaced the Xanax with Valium because it's supposed to be easier to get off of - that's B.S. - pardon my French!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">