• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vaccination Harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasgorsky

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

Short version, I do not like the info I have read regarding vaccinations, so I took my time getting my youngest daughters vaccinations for kindergarten, with the understanding I would get them on a delayed schedule with the school nurses full cooperation.

We had no issues until this past week, when she and another school worker, maybe a secretary, called my on Wednesday to remind us. We had also gotten a notice the day before. They called my home number, within minutes of calling my cell (a call I missed). My husband did talk to someone and tell them we would get it done by the end of the week.

The following day I had already planned on getting my daughter into see the doctor. That afternoon upon pick-up, my daughter's BUS DRIVER informed me the nurse had been trying to ring me all day to discuss getting my daughters vaccinations updated, certainly out of his scope of practice. I got a call while WAITING to see the doctor. AND, that night at 8PM my daughter's teacher called to remind us she would not be allowed to attend school the following day with out an updated vaccination record.

As I said, I thought I had the full cooperation of the nurse, but this all started bordering harassment, everyone involved kept bringing up the law (we had 30 days from the beginning of school to get caught up). It would have been completely irresponsible to get her caught up with the amount she needed in a months time.

My question is, was it unlawful for the school and school nurse to share my daughter's lateness in regards to her vaccinations with so many people (secretaries and bus drivers)? And, what can I do to keep other families from being attacked in this manner?

I was made to feel like a lazy and neglectful parent, and that was indeed not the reason for my non-compliance, I have two older special needs children, and frankly, do not vaccines.

Jasgorsky

FlyingRon

It's probably improper, but not illegal. A school isn't a covered entity under HIPAA. The protection under FERPA only protects your access to the students records and the limits to dissemination OUTSIDE the school system. There's nothing other than perhaps professional ethics that says medical info needs to be kept specific to the nurses office.

Bless your heart on having two special needs kids, but you should know of all people, that with medically fragile individuals having the family members (and others who come in contact with you) who CAN be vaccinated to BE vaccinated.

I'mTheFather

If the school's next move would be to alert Child Protective Services if your child wasn't immunized in time to allow her to attend school the next day, which is not inconceivable, would you still feel harassed?

I agree with OP that the bus driver should not have any knowledge of the child's immunization record. FERPA does not allow any old Joe in the school to have access to student records; rather, only those with a need to know should have that access and information. A case can be made to include the nurse, teacher, and secretary in that access.

File a complaint regarding the bus driver breach if you wish.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If you had a genuine problem with the vaccinations, you would refuse them entirely.

Last edited by a moderator:

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

Short version, I do not like the info I have read regarding vaccinations, so I took my time getting my youngest daughters vaccinations for kindergarten, with the understanding I would get them on a delayed schedule with the school nurses full cooperation.

We had no issues until this past week, when she and another school worker, maybe a secretary, called my on Wednesday to remind us. We had also gotten a notice the day before. They called my home number, within minutes of calling my cell (a call I missed). My husband did talk to someone and tell them we would get it done by the end of the week.

The following day I had already planned on getting my daughter into see the doctor. That afternoon upon pick-up, my daughter's BUS DRIVER informed me the nurse had been trying to ring me all day to discuss getting my daughters vaccinations updated, certainly out of his scope of practice. I got a call while WAITING to see the doctor. AND, that night at 8PM my daughter's teacher called to remind us she would not be allowed to attend school the following day with out an updated vaccination record.

As I said, I thought I had the full cooperation of the nurse, but this all started bordering harassment, everyone involved kept bringing up the law (we had 30 days from the beginning of school to get caught up). It would have been completely irresponsible to get her caught up with the amount she needed in a months time.

My question is, was it unlawful for the school and school nurse to share my daughter's lateness in regards to her vaccinations with so many people (secretaries and bus drivers)? And, what can I do to keep other families from being attacked in this manner?

I was made to feel like a lazy and neglectful parent, and that was indeed not the reason for my non-compliance, I have two older special needs children, and frankly, do not vaccines.

Jasgorsky
Is the reason you do not vaccinate your little one due to the special needs of the older children?

ETA: Are you allowing the discredited "Doctor" in GB to influence you choice?

Last edited:

jasgorsky

Thank you

Dear All,

Thank you for your time, and all of your advice. I really appreciate the time most of you took to give me good information. As for those of you thinking I was just lazy, or listening to the wrong people about the possible dangers of vaccinations, well, shame on you.

My oldest special needs child is a 16yo boy with cerebral palsy, he has seizures and is visually impaired, yet has managed to become part of his HS ROTC unit's command staff, and will become an Eagle Scout through the BSA anytime now. Now, yes, these are his accomplishments entirely, however, who do you think stands up for him, and encourages him when the chips look like they are down. Perhaps, that was my problem all along, I am just so used to fighting for my children I do not know when to stop, but lazy, lazy was NEVER my problem...

Thank you all again.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You all are aware that LEGALLY people can be exempt from having their children vaccinated and it is not laziness, neglect or anything of the like, correct?
http://www.scdhec.gov/health/disease/immunization/faq.htm

Silverplum

You all are aware that LEGALLY people can be exempt from having their children vaccinated and it is not laziness, neglect or anything of the like, correct?
I'm aware.

IMHO, it's deliberately choosing to endanger everyone your child encounters. Way to choose to live in a 3rd world country, and forcing everyone your child breathes upon to live that way, also.

<*spit*>

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Dear All,

Thank you for your time, and all of your advice. I really appreciate the time most of you took to give me good information. As for those of you thinking I was just lazy, or listening to the wrong people about the possible dangers of vaccinations, well, shame on you.

My oldest special needs child is a 16yo boy with cerebral palsy, he has seizures and is visually impaired, yet has managed to become part of his HS ROTC unit's command staff, and will become an Eagle Scout through the BSA anytime now. Now, yes, these are his accomplishments entirely, however, who do you think stands up for him, and encourages him when the chips look like they are down. Perhaps, that was my problem all along, I am just so used to fighting for my children I do not know when to stop, but lazy, lazy was NEVER my problem...

Thank you all again.
If I had a jaded view of things, I could read in to this that you are so focused on your older special-needs child that you have neglected the needs of your younger child(ren) -

But, I'm not quite that jaded yet...so I'll just ask: What does that have to do with anything?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I'm aware.

IMHO, it's deliberately choosing to endanger everyone your child encounters. Way to choose to live in a 3rd world country, and forcing everyone your child breathes upon to live that way, also.

<*spit*>
Choices choices choices. I vaccinate however.

xylene

There are requirements to be met should the OP not wish to vaccinate AND enroll the child in school.

Not preemptively dealing with that is laziness.

I'mTheFather

Correct.

This is only true for medical or religious reasons in SC. OP did not indicate that either was the reason for delaying the vaccinations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">