• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vet Broke Show Dog's Leg & Botched Repair

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

twilight

What is the name of your state? New York State

Long story short: Dog was in for a routine procedure. The vet tech dropped the dog and broke his leg. At the time, the dog was for sale with an est. value of $1,500 because he was a show dog bred from champion lines (I bred him). He won a prestigious dog show which drove his value up a bit. I have proof of value up to $1,000 because I have contracts stating that I sold his siblings for that price. Now, not only is the dog not worth anything because of the injury, but his leg needs to be re-broken because the repair was done so badly. The second repair is going to cost thousands.

If I take this vet to small claims court, what are the chances I'd be able to get back the value of the dog plus surgical costs? I'm scared to let them touch the dog again to try and repair the leg so I want to take the dog to a different vet, but was told if I don't let this vet try to fix it, I won't be able to sue for the money I spent at another office.

lya

What is the name of your state? New York State

Long story short: Dog was in for a routine procedure. The vet tech dropped the dog and broke his leg. At the time, the dog was for sale with an est. value of $1,500 because he was a show dog bred from champion lines (I bred him). He won a prestigious dog show which drove his value up a bit. I have proof of value up to $1,000 because I have contracts stating that I sold his siblings for that price. Now, not only is the dog not worth anything because of the injury, but his leg needs to be re-broken because the repair was done so badly. The second repair is going to cost thousands.

If I take this vet to small claims court, what are the chances I'd be able to get back the value of the dog plus surgical costs? I'm scared to let them touch the dog again to try and repair the leg so I want to take the dog to a different vet, but was told if I don't let this vet try to fix it, I won't be able to sue for the money I spent at another office.
First: will you be able to sue in small claims court? that depends on $ limit of your small claims court.

Secondly: Should you use another vet? Absolutely. One thing that negatively impacts a medmal claim is to continue seeing the physician (in this case, vet) that you believe caused harm due to professional malpractice/negligence.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">