• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Veterinarian malpractice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stp2dt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wi
My Vet had a mishap during a routine operation on my cat that resulted in it becoming blind. The cat almost died. They have admitted in writing their guilt and their insurance company is willing to pay for all further vet bills at another local vet emergency service. The bills so far are around $4,000.

I am wondering about further compensation. Possible acupuncture and homeopathy treatments, and some compensation for our loss of our pet as we are used to enjoy, loss of full companionship, the extra time it is taking to tend to a blind cat daily activities, and readying the house to safeguard the cat from bumping into walls, furniture, etc.

How do I approach the insurance company? They want to settle by paying the outstanding bills. How do I approach them for further compensation?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Banned_Princess

My Vet had a mishap during a routine operation on my cat that resulted in it becoming blind. The cat almost died. They have admitted in writing their guilt and their insurance company is willing to pay for all further vet bills at another local vet emergency service. The bills so far are around $4,000.

I am wondering about further compensation. Possible acupuncture and homeopathy treatments, and some compensation for our loss of our pet as we are used to enjoy, loss of full companionship, the extra time it is taking to tend to a blind cat daily activities, and readying the house to safeguard the cat from bumping into walls, furniture, etc.

How do I approach the insurance company? They want to settle by paying the outstanding bills. How do I approach them for further compensation?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Im pretty sure you are only going to get the vet bills. actual damage, not any punitive damage.

Hot Topic

Your cat is considered property. The situation is not a money making opportunity.

"Possible" acupuncture and homeopathy threatments? Who says?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My animals have a $100 limit. I think they know it. In the last 7 years, I've never had to take the animals to the vet for anything other than a rabies shot every couple of years.

OHRoadwarrior

As stated, the cat is property. You are not entitled to "well care" or excessive charges, unless they choose to give them. The court will award the cost of putting it down, if you go there.

ecmst12

Not to mention that acupuncture or homeopathic treatments are not going to restore the cat's vision.

barry1817

vet bills

this gets real interesting because if your vet bills are $5,000, in order for a lawyer to get paid, that already pumps the case up to needing to ask almost double, so the lawyer gets paid, but because the cat will be considered property, this is one of situations where if the malpractice insurance confirms that it will cover all bills, current and future, you may want to think about that, because if it goes to court, and you need a lawyer, you may come out behind in the bills.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">