• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Violation of Hipaa?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gustavthe3rd

In Virginia, is it legal for a mental health institution to inform a high school guidance counselor if a minor is being seen by said institution?

Gustavthe3rd

Even without any written permission? I'm naive on the subject so please deal with me. Being as he is a minor and it is a mental health situation, isn't that something that is supposed to be confidential?

ecmst12

2 professionals are permitted, under HIPAA, to confer regarding the treatment of a mutual patient. No special release required.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Even without any written permission? I'm naive on the subject so please deal with me. Being as he is a minor and it is a mental health situation, isn't that something that is supposed to be confidential?
Did the student sign a release for the information to be shared? :cool:

ecmst12

I suppose it might depend on the guidance counselor's license, but to me, the primary purpose of a guidance counselor is to counsel students and I would expect one to be a licensed counselor.

OHRoadwarrior

I suspect that is NOT the case since there would be no legitimate reason for it.
I think the Virginia Dept of Education and State Legislature disagree with you.:cool:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+22.1-287
. The principal or his designee may disclose identifying information from a pupil's scholastic record for the purpose of furthering the ability of the juvenile justice system to effectively serve the pupil prior to adjudication. In addition to those agencies or personnel identified in subdivisions 5 and 7 of subsection A, the principal or his designee may disclose identifying information from a pupil's scholastic record to attorneys for the Commonwealth, court services units, juvenile detention centers or group homes, mental and medical health agencies, state and local children and family service agencies, and the Department of Juvenile Justice and to the staff of such agencies. Prior to disclosure of any such scholastic records, the persons to whom the records are to be disclosed shall certify in writing to the principal or his designee that the information will not be disclosed to any other party, except as provided under state law, without the prior written consent of the parent of the pupil or by such pupil if the pupil is eighteen years of age or older.

ecmst12

Information from a "scholastic record" has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with HIPAA. HIPAA covers HEALTH INFORMATION only.

OHRoadwarrior

Information from a "scholastic record" has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with HIPAA. HIPAA covers HEALTH INFORMATION only.
It is nice that you have an opinion. For fact, I suggest you refer to chapter 9. I believe ch 6 is where your contention that medical records are not part of the scholastic record is disproved.

http://www.doe.virginia.gov/boe/regulations/secondary_sch_transcripts/management_scholastic_records.pdf

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So how does that apply to the healthcare provider disclosing records to the school?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">