• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What qualifies as a "signature" for consent for ambulance transport?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mikekob

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

Hi,

I have a question regarding signatures and ambulance transport. I am a paramedic now and a co-worker and I have been working on a new charting software. We're at the point where I need to address the signatures required by law for treatment, HIPAAA, and consent to bill. I believe those are the required signatures which is part one of my post. Any help regarding requirements would be awesome as it is very long winded and complicated by the language of the law. Especially to a paramedic.

Second part of that is about the "signature" and what is legally accepted as such. We will be using the Ipad as the platform and don't really want to use the conventional signature. Our options seem to be the following:

1. Electronic sig by using the patients finger. This is the most common and we have no real problem using this.

2. Using an audio recording.

3. Taking a pic of the ID and/or insurance cards. Can allowance to obtain these be used as a more overall consent since the patient consents to giving us this info?

Seems like the patient entering the ambulance should be covered under implied consent so why do we need sa signature at all?

Sorry for the long post I'm just trying to be as detailed as I can with my question.

Thanks,
Mike

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

Hi,

I have a question regarding signatures and ambulance transport. I am a paramedic now and a co-worker and I have been working on a new charting software. We're at the point where I need to address the signatures required by law for treatment, HIPAAA, and consent to bill. I believe those are the required signatures which is part one of my post. Any help regarding requirements would be awesome as it is very long winded and complicated by the language of the law. Especially to a paramedic.

Second part of that is about the "signature" and what is legally accepted as such. We will be using the Ipad as the platform and don't really want to use the conventional signature. Our options seem to be the following:

1. Electronic sig by using the patients finger. This is the most common and we have no real problem using this.

2. Using an audio recording.

3. Taking a pic of the ID and/or insurance cards. Can allowance to obtain these be used as a more overall consent since the patient consents to giving us this info?

Seems like the patient entering the ambulance should be covered under implied consent so why do we need sa signature at all?

Sorry for the long post I'm just trying to be as detailed as I can with my question.

Thanks,
Mike
Are you going to refuse to transport the patient if they don't sign or are unable to knowingly sign? Does your state law allow that?

Mikekob

No. The state does allow people to refuse ambulance transport which is 99% of the time after evaluation. The signature is obtained, or is supposed to be obtained, after transport. Usually after we arrive at the er. The required signatures are a little hazy to me due to the HIPAA, insurance and also consent requirements. I'm probably in need of an EMS friendly attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">