• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who can a doctor inform of the results of your procedure?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

meljane

Texas
I recently had to undergo a procedure in the clinic that required me to bring a driver to take me homw, My child was on vacation as was my best friend. I was forced to ask my ex- husband. Now, we are on friendly terms, but I certainly never thought the doctor would go out and tell him the results of the procedure. The nurses response when I complained about this was " Why would you bring someone that you did not want to know the results?" There was nothing in any form that I signed including the one that said I had a driver to take me home that said they would be informing the said driver. Is this right or am I being to pickly?

kjizzle

Texas
I recently had to undergo a procedure in the clinic that required me to bring a driver to take me homw, My child was on vacation as was my best friend. I was forced to ask my ex- husband. Now, we are on friendly terms, but I certainly never thought the doctor would go out and tell him the results of the procedure. The nurses response when I complained about this was " Why would you bring someone that you did not want to know the results?" There was nothing in any form that I signed including the one that said I had a driver to take me home that said they would be informing the said driver. Is this right or am I being to pickly?
The reasons your asked to bring a driver is your going to be under the effects of a medication or not legally able to make decisions for yourself so you should expect the Dr to give your driver the information as your legally incapable of receiving and comprehending the information that has to do with your condition or health and any follow up measures. This is a precaution the Dr's use to keep them from being sued if you have an accident or fail to follow instructions that they may give you as far as follow up care because your under the effects of medications they have given you. I would suggest that in the future you take someone with you that you don't mind knowing your condition. I don't think hat they can legally give you the information because even if you were to sign saying you received the information the document would/could be found not legally standing because your were under the effects of medications the Dr gave you. I sign a statement saying that I should not make any leagal decisions or operate a vehicle for 24 hours following a procedure.

las365

Without knowing what the procedure was and what the doctor told your ex, it is difficult to form an opinion of whether the doctor's sharing of information was perfectly appropriate, inappropriate but legal, or a HIPAA violation.

lya

Texas
You need to review your pre-admission papers, which are a part of your verification that you understand what will be required at the time of discharge. Most forms contain a statement that you must have someone to drive you home and to stay with you for 6 to 8 hours until the sedating medications 'wear off'.

You are asked by the admissions person, the pre-op nurse, the physician, and the recovery nurse if you give permission for your discharge instructions to be reviewed with the person driving you home. Perhaps you do not remember the asking and answering of these questions due to the amnesia effects of the medication, even though you answered the question at least three times before you were given sedating medicatons.

You also received one or more HIPAA notices and you demonstrate that you are aware that HIPAA allows you to keep information from being shared with someone like your 'driver'. Apparently, you chose to NOT disallow information from being shared with your driver; else, there would be a written and signed statement provided by you to the healthcare provider.

HIPAA allows for the disclosure of protected information when it is deemed necessary to protect the patient. Perhaps the sharing of your information was necessary to allow your ex to be aware of signs and symptoms that required action by him or by the physician.

Are you being too picky? Yes; you are. You could have had a taxi take you to and from the procedure or rescheduled the procedure when someone else was available to transport you and assume caring for your health, safety, and well-being.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">