• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who enforces Pt Bill of Rights? HIPPA, ability to change doctors in office, rudeness

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ecmst12

The patient bill of rights is not a law. The law does not require anyone at the office to be polite to you. The office is not required to let you change doctors within the office, if both the current and new docs do not agree to the transfer.

Anything more specific, please retype your post. Don't use the preview button, it's broken.

jen a

Pt Bill of Rights---Who enforces re: HIPPA, Respect of Staff, Ability to change docto

I had an experience in same office where the secretaries are passing my issues to other secretaries in the building in other departments. Also when I arrive at the Office on 1st floor secretaries refuse to put letter to counselor's mailbox, walk away from desk and refuse waiting on me, buzz me into parking lot, say "talk to the hand", tell me to leave the building,Secretaries call other depts. and then they are rude saying "I know why your here, go sit down".Manager or my counselor were not in this day. They got another supervisor who I never met and she refused to give me her name. She came out yelling. I spoke up and told her my counselor is not there and she screamed to that she will not talk to me and did this in waiting room. I asked to speak to her privately and she said "NO , Get out of the building or I will call security!" I left but was traumatized. My HIPPA was broke in waiting room by this supervisor who would not talk to me privately or give her name.
I tried talking to manager on phone and he refused and told me to talk to my counselor who does nothing about complaints and minimizes them. I asked for a new Doctor 3 months ago and I still do not have new doctor. I asked about an Afterhours Call Center which is mandated for each clinic under the OMH 599 Law. I put these complaints in writing and we just had a large meeting with Dept Mental Health and Crisis Services and they now have the After Hours in place and agreed on written protocols, but my provider is not following their own agreement in protocols in minutes they agreed to. Since this written Grievance went in, this providers office staff is rude, bullying and my counselor retaliated against me by terminating my services there. She told her manager I asked for my services to be terminated which is an outward lie. She got angry when I exercised the right to rescind one of the waivers from an agency that has given me tremendous trouble in the past and only left is open for the meeting they had to attend. My counselor forced me to sign a contract within 2 days of having this large meeting with Dept of Mental Health for a Written Grievance. She stated the contract was not negotiable and I must sign it today and I had 10 sec to read it. I signed it. I asked her to rescind the other waiver from other agency that is not needed. She X it out and told me within 3 sec of this that she is terminating me.and that the session is over. We cannot talk about it. All of my groups are terminated. She denied that she did this and told her manager that I stated I wanted to terminate from services. She has lied and twisted things on many occasions costing me money from sessions in other providers. She shares my issues with other providers. When an issue comes up that she stated she is qualified in, she responds with "I don't know what to tell you" but refuses for me to go elsewhere to get help. The manager refuses to address this and keeps telling me to go back to her, but she will not admit that she is not qualified to help me in these other areas, so I went somewhere else. Her answers to everything including Domestic Violence and Bullying is Deep Breathing and Visualization. These coping skills do not address these type of issues and she will not allow me to get help without terminating me from services there. I already complied but she will not help me and then is lying to her manager when she terminated me.
They are telling me to come back but want me to sign another Contract that states that I cannot go to manager or chain of command when their are problems that they refuse to address with gross disrespect from secretaries, continual lateness from counselor, request for a new Counselor and New Doctor. We have to go to person first but then they still do not change doctors or counselors. Problem of Changing agencies is that I have a scholarship that is Paying for these services and I have gone consistently for 5 years. My counselor is hypercritical of me. If I missed my medication due to illness she will state that I am not compliant but she misses 15 min of our appt consistently and she states she is allowed to do this and twists a lot of details that I have entrusted her with. She also outwardly lied and stated that I requested to be terminated right after I put my Written Grievance in when the clinic was breaking the OMH 599 law stating that every clinic must have an after hours service and they did not have one. They were mandated to get one but I was dictated that I could only call Crisis Service to talk about my coping skills that we briefly went through in counseling for about 7 min. She won't let me talk about other issues when I am in Crisis. They had me sign a contract to this effect. They are micromanaging me and telling me that any support group or person I speak with, they have a right to recommend treatments and I must follow them. They want to know who I talk to and get these people to sign waivers to speak with them and I am not allowed to know what was said. They are not allowing me Freedom of Speech without threats of being terminated. I do not agree with this, but they forced me to sign Contract and told me to terminate services with any other grief help, domestic violence help, ...
They also set up a meeting with the Director of Agency who was to attend. I am at an impasse with the Manager and Counselor who will not address issues of secretaries hostility and refusal to give their name and counselor terminating me and refusal to address my issues that I struggle with. She is using her position to cover up her own accountabilities in her behaviors. Both manager and counselor is stating I terminated services and saying that I have no witness to prove this. The agency staff are sticking together in their lies and refuse to believe me. I did not sign any termination paper. I only rescinded a waiver to another provider.
THIS HAPPENED WITHIN 2 DAYS OF HAVING THE LARGE MEETING WITH EVERYONE REGARDING THE AFTER HOURS CARE WHEN THIS LARGE AGENCY WAS VIOLATING LAW AND WERE FORCED TO HIRE AN AFTER HOURS PHONE LINE FOR THEIR CLIENTS. They were given 7 months to do this and they refused even with a formal letter from me. Now this agency is forcing me to sign a contract stating that I will stop going to people like the Manager when there are issues of rudeness from secretaries and Staff. They want to be able to Bully me and then if I complain, they will have disciplinary treatment towards me and want me to Sign a Contract or I will be terminated from center. She already terminated me but they are implying they will give me another chance if I sign an unreasonable Behavior Contract when I complained about being Bullied. The set me up when I sought the supervisor and told me they had people witnessing what happened that came out before this supervisor came out to yell at me in the waiting room.
This is Retaliation for filing a Grievance which I was encouraged to sign and it was passed on. Dept of Mental Health refused to address issue of No After Hours Care in which they were clearly breaking the law, but said that I must show them letter of grievance I wrote and they must bring it up to clinic if they are to help me or they will do nothing. Dept of Mental Health would not keep this anonymous and I asked them about Retaliation and they stated they cannot protect me from this.
Who protects against Retailiation if a Grievance is signed? They have terminated me in 3 sec and refuse to admit it. The Director came to Nov 16, 2012 meeting late and left within 5 min so nothing got accomplished and every issue I brought up, they negated and told me it did not happen but they were not present to see it. They are taking stories from rude and disrespectful secretaries.
If they reopen my services there, am I required to sign a contract stating that I cannot talk to anyone when I am being bullied or disrespected and be given a Behavior Contract when I speak up? Am I allowed to request a different counselor if this counselor is harming me instead of helping me, I asked for a different doctor 3 months ago and counselor took the request but still do not have a new doctor and she doesn't see that as an issue and never told Manager. Am I allowed to get a new Dr.My counselor encouraged me to talk to doctor and I did and now she is not following through to get me new doctor. I talked to counselor many times about this, but she just disregards my request. Manager disconnects call when I seek his help. He did this since the beginning. Director came in for meeting and stayed 5 min and left. I went to Quality Assurance at large hospital that is over clinic and they took complaint and was empathetic when I told story. After they talked to y counselor, without a waiver, she came back short and demanding and told me to get into the office on Mon. and that she was told all the past history of all Dr's I went to and left and that I better stay with this clinic no matter how rude and disrespectful they are. I asked her is she addressed my complaints and she stated that she doesn't handle this. The day before I was told before I spoke that they DO handle these complaints and now that she got the details and told me she was calling, this person from the Comm. of Quality Assurance from State said she does not handle it . and instead talked about my 20 yrs of past medical history.This is private under HIPPA. Where do I go from here? These twisted written accusations will pass from one provider to another and will be ridiculed and I will be blackballed in the medical community. This excludes me It is Not OK to share information without a waiver and providers force you to sign waivers. I only seek RESPECT and Effective Treatment.

Proserpina

Holy.... Jen, you need to use white space, paragraphs. Stick to the basic facts, no emotion or editorializing, and ask your questions afterwards.

Nobody is going to wade through all of that text. If you want someone to do that, you best pay for an attorney. :eek:

feddey26

It sounds very much like you have been extremely rude and disrespectful to your healthcare providers and staff. It sounds like they have had enough of your rudeness. It also appears you did terminate service from your counselor by requesting a change.

Mental Health issues are extremely difficult to treat and manage, which sounds like that is the reason for your inability to see how your behavior is affecting the healthcare you have receiving. It is very hard to want to help someone who is unreasonable and unkind. It sounds like your medication is not consistantly taken as prescribed. I am not sure how serious your medical condition is that, but someone with Domestic Violence tendencies are often impulsive and volitile and to meet with someone in private with a condition such as you stated would be extremely scary.

It sounds like you need to find a new facility to meet your needs. I recommend you take your medication as prescribed and be kind to those who try to help you. Doctors, counselors, managers ect. have busy schedules as well and to be on time may be difficult when seeing other patients and client. You need to need to understand that you are not their only patient.

Best wishes to you.

jen a

Pt Bill of Rights...who enforces

If the Read the Pt Bill of Rights it talks of respect and that each patient is to be treated with respect. It is a Bill not a Law. Do not know what the difference is but it still demands respect.
Also it talks about the right to know and understand your treatment and the right to refuse treatment.
HIPPA---- what happens when confidentiality is broken and done right in front of you and it is excused by the provider?

What happens when you are kicked out of a group and unjustly accused of something another member said and the counselors refuse to get your side of the story and then kick you out of class?

Then your counselor is dictating who you are allowed to talk to even in church because a person is a counselor of Theology and teaches classes at church and she doesn't want you talking to her. She also does not want you talking to your family, kids, ex-boyfriend or friends and if you don't follow her recommendations, you will be terminated?

What happens if you want to speak up and report this, she will terminate you for speaking up? and ruin your Credibility with the ones you are confiding into?

She wants me to sign a Behavior Contract if I speak up when I am Bullied. This is a Trap and a No Win Situation because they are avoiding taking responsibility and accountability when I am complaining that I am being Bullied. Sometimes they even see it and turn the other way.

Bullying is Real and I am at the end. It has been going on for over 20 yrs and I do not know where to go for help because the very agencies refuse to acknowledge it or do anything. Even the agencies that are supposed to deal with this like the insurance agencies, or Quality Assurance in the Hospital that is connected with the clinic tells me that it is not their job to address this. Where does one go when they are being harassed and bullied and the Chain of Command at Providers building refuse to address the issue?

OHRoadwarrior

The Patients Bill of Rights does not dictate that you can change the people providing services to meet your expectations. They are human also Jen. Your solution is to find another provider.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">